+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carbon fibre wheels

hey
    anyone wanting to sell their 13 inch cf wheels please let me know.

regards
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

hey
    anyone wanting to sell their 13 inch cf wheels please let me know.

regards
    Hiren G Patel

-------Prototype '06

We sell ours! But only in 15x7 inch, so nothing interesting for you...

No offence, but do you really think someone will sell their self-designed CFRP rims??
    FSAE/Student is a design competition, not a buy competition.
    Not only that one rim is worth 5000-10000€ and billions of hours designing them.
    I couldn't sleep any longer when using bought student-built rims with no clue of how they work.

Try to manufacture them by your own! A closed disc-wheel is way more easy to design than a cfrp spoke-wheel while having only a small weight disadvantage of 1-2 pounds (and a solvable cooling problem).
    Or try to design a hybrid wheel... cfrp bed and a screwed aluminium hub. The easiest and cheapest way.

I will make you a set for $20,000.
    The edge is not the limit it is mearly the beginning!

Deakin University

I'll make a set for $19,900 and thrown in free shipping!

Ok, I will sell you carbon-look-alike-rims with a high-end fake-foil for 10000$. Bling bling! If you ordner now, you get a another one free! Call now!

Hmmm, I think these WedsSport rims are for real...
    Check them out here!

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-...n-fiber-wheel/

thank you for the great offers , but seriously how did you reach a figure of $20000.

i dont see why anyone shouldnt think of selling their cfrp wheels, infact since you worked so hard on them and they have also lasted i.e proven themselves by lasting the endurance (incase of darmstadt).

you guys should actually consider starting a company and try and sell these wheels with may i add a disclaimer if you are not to confident with them.

or you must also consider tying up with other universities and get more testing done on their cars, and use all the result to your advantage.
    and if you think that the competition is going to gain advantage in dynamics i.e be better than you , give them an older version of your wheel , that way your team also maintains the upperhand

and what do you know , you might even be able to fund your own team.
    Hiren G Patel

-------Prototype '06

I can think of 3-4 key issues with that right off the bat:

1. design judges aren't going to like it very much if a team starts running a "sketchy" component like a carbon fiber rim without any knowledge of the assumptions and analysis that went into it's design.

2. the universities and companies that are donating(I'm assuming) autoclave time to teams aren't going to like those teams selling any products they make for $$$$$'s

3. all it takes is one failure and your rep is shot which means no $$$$$'s

4. carbon fiber rims are of negligible performance benefit for the potential cost of the part.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mech5496:
    Hmmm, I think these WedsSport rims are for real...
    Check them out here!

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-...n-fiber-wheel/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm,

I definetely think they are fake.
    Firstly you barely can't manage those tight radii with carbon fibres. And even if you do so it is far away from a lightweight design.
    At the bottom of a spoke those fibres are doomed to crack when stress is applied the first time.
    Secondly you need a kind of insert at the hub due to the weak pressure resistance of carbon fibre. This rim's hub is soely pressed on carbon fibre which won't last too long at torques of 100Nm+.
    The weight of 2,76kg is a fake for sure! If you calculate those dimensions (19x10) down to a 13x6 FSAE rim you would hit ~1100g.
    Ok, this is achievable in FSAE with very very hard work, but you have to have in mind that this rim is supposed to run on a Nissan 350Z, weighing in at about 7 times of an FSAe car.
    And last but not least: How to manufacture such a complex structure??
    We had unbelievable problems laminating our 3-spoke rim without distortions of the fibre, now what about a 10-spoke rim? And this rim definetely hasn't any fibre distortions.
    And those spokes are definetely not hollow which will add an extra weight.

+ Reply to Thread