+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mufflers/silencers

This is all just out of curiosity, but do FSAE cars use insulation (fiberglass or something like it) or baffles in their mufflers? Also are tunable exhausts allowed/does anyone use them?I was just kind of wondering.

Both. Usually end up sticking in different combinations of the two in until you can get below 110dB

If you are a new team, the last thing that you want to do is take a chance not passing sound on the first try. Not passing sound on the first try is not that big of a deal, it is easy enough to head back to the paddock and stuff something in the exhaust or crimp the outlet, etc. and pass the test. Problem is, that will take a couple few hours to do, and if not passing sound on first try is coupled with a problem passing tech or brakes or tilt on first try, then you're gonna screw the pooch and end up missing a run at accel and/or skidpad, and you're not gonna have a good time.

Supertrapp aluminum racing series universal muffler worked like a charm for us in 2011, then in 2012 we went with a fancy $500 Muzzy that wouldn't pass sound and we didn't have a good time. The Supertrapp may not be super cool carbon fiber blah blah blah, but it will get you through sound on first try, and if it doesn't, its easily adjustable - right there on the spot. Maybe it costs you a couple hp's or maybe not, like herman cain said "i don't have any facts to back this up" (our team's mantra), but it's worth it if you can pass sound on first try. This is the muffler i can recommend, I am sure there are others.
    Fitz Matush
    Auto Seat Tester

Originally posted by DannytheRadomski:
    Also are tunable exhausts allowed/does anyone use them?I was just kind of wondering.
    "IC3.2.3 If the exhaust has any form of movable tuning or throttling device or system, it must be compliant with the device or system in all positions. The position of the device must be visible to the officials for the noise test and must be manually operable by the officials during the noise test."

They're allowed and you could theoretically improve "off-tune" flat spots in the torque curve, like the one that plagues 600/4's between 5 and 7k rpm with a throttling valve like Yamaha's EXUP. Given the constraints of the rule, however, it would be much easier to accomplish torque curve improvements with intake and exhaust geometry and valve timing.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

+ Reply to Thread