+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Locost....

I'm just stuck without the parts as it defines the main packaging. There are some changes in my personal life that is holding me from committing to the project and start seeking sponsors, hopefully the new changes might be even more influential technically for the project(s) and myself.

Anyways, I was going to scrap the plans and start from scratch due to the loads of improvements that I want to do to the design.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

I'm currently building a "locost" with a hayabusa engine. I ended up going with MNR (a uk supplier) simply because they seemed to have the fewest mistakes in their design. Having done far too much research in the supplier area, my advice is to stay far far away from any kit sourced from the US. The fact that the majority seem to enjoy displaying their cars with 17 inch wheels should be the end of that avenue of discussion. "Procomp" who makes the LA Gold seem to be the only firm who have ever opened a dynamics book before, yet sadly they don't offer IRS.

Additionally, I'd suggest "losing" your copy of "build your own sports car" if you're involved with an FSAE team. Your own standards will be far too high to settle for that (not to mention the numerous dimensioning errors that are still in print).

Part of me wishes I'd have started my own project from scratch, but I like to tell myself that there is some value in re-engineering something that has been purchased by others. Plus I'm thinking it will feel nice to share any successful changes or validated analysis with the original manufacturer. My intent isn't to sound condescending or condemning or their work, but no one can deny the advantage in design you gain with correctly used software packages that weren't ever at the OE's disposal.

At the current phase of my "build" I took a step back and decided I couldn't live with supplied frame as is. I did the best I could to digitize my frame with a laser tape measure and caliper. I had just started playing with kinematics and some garbage solidworks fea before classes/fsae started this year.

P.S... if you're going with a longitudinally mounted bike engine stick with a 1L, for whatever reason they don't always seem to require an total rework of the oiling system. The zx14 or busa will require a dry sump... of which the only system that appears to be designed by actual engineers is/was more expensive than my entire donor bike.

https://lh3.googleusercontent...._20120307_144118.jpg

If you need some inspiration to keep chipping at your design, these 47 seconds always help me: http://youtu.be/Fi1xRdl-UmQ

Additionally, I'd suggest "losing" your copy of "build your own sports car" if you're involved with an FSAE team. Your own standards will be far too high to settle for that (not to mention the numerous dimensioning errors that are still in print).
    Figured the same thing while reading it. I had a look at the MNR specifically the MNR Vortex. Are you getting a reversing diff?

No I've decided to run without for now. I reasoned that it would make more sense to run an electric reverse, and it wouldn't be very hard to put in as an after thought if I really need it down the road.

The bike-engined route is quite appealing however I'd like to do this.

From where you sourced the drive axle?

Originally posted by RollingCamel:
    The stupid thing is that I'll never be able to get it road legal with the current stupid laws...
    Ah, there sometimes are ways and means...

How about road registering your creation as a Hot Rod ?

Don't laugh, in many countries this can be a much easier path to road registering some pretty insane machinery than any other way.

How about a nice tube framed all wheel drive Cosworth powered 1932 Ford ?
    Cheers, Tony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4