+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Team identification

What the heck is Go Blue Go Fast Go Jacks?

jlangholzj, who are you? Which university are you? Seriously I do not know!

This gives me the opportunity to mention a little advice of marketing and simple university / FSAE brand recognition.

FSAE and FS are international competitions. Imagine you are new and first time visitor to one of these competitions. You walk in the paddock and see team logos such as "Formula Sun Devils", "Lions Racing", "Elephant Racing", "Beavers Racing", "Triton Racing" etc... but you have no idea if this or that team is German, Italian, American etc...

I know that the Lakers are from Los Angeles but that is because I live in the US. But how many Portuguese, Brazilians, Egyptians know that?

Besides Formula Student marketing is not comparable to NBA marketing. Well not yet

I am not against the idea of giving your own team a nickname but how can you have other teams, judges, potential or existing sponsors, technical partners, and the public being interested in you if you do not identify yourself properly?

If you are American you probably can situate where Los Angeles, Portland, Boston, Chicago, or Houston is on the US map. But can you show where Padova, Bologna, Esslingen, Nevers, Dusseldorf, Gottenburg, Eindhoven is on the Europe map? And vice versa if you were European, can you tell me where all the mentioned US cities are?

Want an advise? Keep your nickname but also put on your banners and ideally on your letterhead, business card, car, truck, maybe shirts your university name and a simple map of the world (or part of the world) with the line showing the borders of your country and a round point showing where on that map your university / city is located. It helps a lot!

Identify your self! Just be a bit world-ly guys!
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

I'll suggest the map idea to my team, might clear up some confusion.
    Conversations with strangers usually go something like;
    Stranger: "Oh you're from Oakland... California?"
    Us: "No, Rochester, Michigan"
    Stranger: "Rochester, New York?"
    Us: "No Michigan, north of Detroit (points to hand which doubles as a MI map)"
    Stranger: "oh are you in a gang?"
    Us: facepalm

I absolutely agree with Claude here!

Going a little farther, at some of the smaller events like FSA, the teams are identified in the programme and on the pit wall by their racing nicknames. Like Claude, I don't care what you call yourselves, but all identification should be your university!

A little tip for marketing.

Every marketing manager on the planet has letters come across his desk every day from someone asking for money to go racing. Most of these letters end up in the wastepaper bin.

However, if an application comes from a university team asking for some help to compete in a global engineering competition, your chances of getting help are much higher!

FS and FSAE is NOT motor racing!

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

I'm glad this subject has come up. The FSAE TTC counts universities as its members--currently over 300 strong. The use of team nicknames without including the school name regularly creates problems when handling registrations or trying to verify an existing membership.

Now, I don't have anything against nicknames like "Lions Racing", "Aixtreme Racing" or "Full Blue Racing", but without any mention of the school name it takes a Google search to determine who these teams are. Since you represent your school why not include your school's name??? It would be nice (and to your benefit!) if it didn't require an internet search to figure out who you are.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

Yeah.. and I forgot the mention that geographical ignorance sometimes come from judges too.

When TU Graz came to the US some judges asked
    - Where are you from?
    - Austria
    - You mean Australia
    - No, Austria
    - Where is that?
    - ....(embarrassed Austrian students ..)In Europe
    - Ah ...? Where?

(Some US judges actually told me they thought Europe was a country....)

Since then all TU Graz cars are called TANKIA: TANKIA 001, TANKIA 002 etc...

TANKIA is for There Are NO Kangaroo In Austria

Good sense of humor from the TU Graz guys
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

However, if an application comes from a university team asking for some help to compete in a global engineering competition, your chances of getting help are much higher!
    And of course naming your team Animal XYZ Racing Team will make you look very professional to any engineering technical partners and sponsors .
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

We're just a little team from South Dakota

the schools motto is "go big, go blue, go jacks" Jacks comes from our school mascot.

the other challenge that we always overcome is that if we say we're from SDSU, they automatically go "oh you're from san diego state!" :grumble grumble: NO! ...hahaa.

Whenever we address a company or any outside entity, we ALWAYS...always always always say we're "South Dakota State University FSAE" just for the reason of this thread...identification and clarification....

...i should go change my sig now... :sheepish grin:
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

It's really a shame Rose-Hulman's Rose GPE didn't honor their athletic teams by choosing "Fightin' Engineers Racing" as their team name...
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

When recreating the Tennessee Tech team, we struggled to decide how to name the team. Things we had to consider:

Decision Factors
    <LI>Our Baja team (arguably #1 Baja team in the world) calls themselves TTU Baja.
    <LI>Our school's website is tntech.edu because Texas Tech already had the ttu.edu domain.
    <LI>Texas Tech goes by Red Raider Racing.
    <LI>TN Tech FSAE sounds boring.
    <LI>TTU FSAE is also boring.
    <LI>TTU Motorsports was our final decision.
    This way, if we can achieve the success we aim for over the next few years, we can unify the teams under one name. We did everything we could to recreate the team in a way that people could remember us at competition, and potential sponsors would have something to remember as well.
    Tennessee Tech Motorsports
    Project Manager
    facebook.com/TTU.Motorsports

he schools motto is "go big, go blue, go jacks" Jacks comes from our school mascot.
    1. Who besides you and your school mate does care about that?

2. If I would not asked how many would know?

3. Just of curiosity what (Animal? Blue I guess? Also big? ) is your mascot? What is Jack? Not that I care but I try to understand how "go big, go blue, go jacks" identify with your school and/or your mascot
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast