PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate Roadshow

Michael Royce
10-22-2012, 08:03 AM
The SAE’s Motorsports Engineering Committee and the Indiana Section of SAE-I will be hosting another Collegiate Roadshow in conjunction with the International Motorsports Industry Show (IMIS) on Saturday, December 8th in the Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis.

It is targeted at Formula SAE teams and competitors, but will also be of interest to competitors in other SAE Collegiate Design Competitions especially Formula Hybrid and Baja SAE.

It will be a full day workshop comprising of 6 presentations each approximately 1 hour long. It will start at 9.00 am and run to approximately 5.00 pm.

The topics are those that are timely for the teams as they complete the construction of their 2013 cars and move into the testing and development phases of their programmes.

The following topics are planned:
• Electrical & Electronic Systems – David Redszus, Precision AutoResearch, FSAE Michigan Senior Design Judge.
• Suspension Tuning and Development, Steve Lyman, All American Dynamics, LLC, FSAE Michigan Senior Design Judge
• Welding – Carl Occhialini, Lincoln Welding, retired.
• Aerodynamics – Ray Leto, TotalSim, or Mark Paxton, Ganassi Racing.
• Getting through Tech Inspection – Michael Royce, Albion Associates LLC, Chairman FSAE Rules Committee 2000-9
• Safety – Michael Royce,
There will be a registration fee of $25 for those registering on-line by Saturday, December 3rd, or $30 at the door. The registration will include entry to the IMIS show.

Registration is through the IMIS web site at: https://www.signup4.net/public/ap.aspx?EID=20122437E

Scroll down the page to the Conferences and Events.

Michael Royce
Revised 21st October 2012

mdavis
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
There were 5 of us from the University of Cincinnati that went last year, and it was extremely helpful. We're hoping to bring more people than that this year.

Michael Royce
11-29-2012, 11:13 AM
As of this morning we only have 13 people signed up!!

If you are coming, please sign up on the IMIS web site ASAP.

I have just noticed a typo in the notice I posted above about the date for the lower registration fee. Saturday is not December 3rd, Saturday is December 1st, 2 days from now! If you sign up on Monday, December 3rd, we might be able to get the $5 waived as it was my error!! But we really would like to know approximately the number of attendees so enough refreshments are provided.

cnorton
11-29-2012, 06:54 PM
We're putting a small group (4 or 5) together from MSOE. I'll try to get everyone to confirm and register by Saturday.

Michael Royce
12-01-2012, 06:59 AM
We look forward to seeing you.

cnorton
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
There will be a registration fee of $25 for those registering on-line by Saturday, December 3rd, or $30 at the door. The registration will include entry to the IMIS show.

I take this to mean that the $25 fee for the SAE Roadshow will also get us into the IMIS show. Is this correct?

When registering online I am forced to choose an industry, which automatically charges me $20 for IMIS admission in addition to SAE Roadshow registration, bringing my total to $45. I called the IMIS phone number, and they say that admission to IMIS and registration for the SAE Roadshow are indeed separate, so if I wanted to attend both the SAE Roadshow and IMIS I would need to pay for both.

Which is correct?

Michael Royce
12-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Have you tried registering as a team or as a driver? The registration for the show was free, but maybe only up to a certain date.

I'll see what I can do.

Michael Royce.

Michael Royce
12-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I have just gone back to the IMIS Registration, and apparently it was set up that anyone who registered after November 6th (!!!) had to pay the $20.

As I said, I'll see what I can do.

Michael Royce
12-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I have not heard back from the show organizers. Things are probably chaotic down there as it is only a couple of days before the show opens, and following the recent news that SEMA has purchased the IMIS Show and that PRI and IMIS will be combined into one show in Indianapolis in December 2013. This means there will be layoffs in the current IMIS staff effective next Monday.

But, for those of you who have not yet registered for the Roadshow, you will be able to register on-site, at the show's Registration desk I believe. I will check when I get down there. It may cost a couple of bucks more, and I will see if we can get those of you who want to visit the show in without an extra charge - no promises though.

However, if you plan to turn up without being registered, please send me a PM indicating which school you represent and about how many of you there will be. That way we can plan a little bit.

My wife and I leave this lunchtime to drive down to Indy to attend the Safety and Technical Conference tomorrow and Thursday. But I should have internet access in an evening.

Michael Royce
12-17-2012, 11:01 AM
The Roadshow was successful - at least the presenters all thought so! What are the thoughts of those who did attend?

We had 69 students register, a 50% increase over 2011, with representation from 8 universities, namely Louisiana Tech., Missouri S & T, IUPUI, Purdue, IIT, Cincinnati, MSOE and Illinois.

As the IMIS show has been sold to SEMA and PRI, we don't know if we will be invited back next year. If we are not invited back, there are definitely alternative locations for a December Roadshow, IUPUI has been mentioned, but it does not have to be in Indianapolis.

Is it worth putting on a Roadshow somewhere in the Midwest in December? If so, what topics would people be interested in? Please let us know.

Michael Royce.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
How about Cincinnati in December. We could offer up our shop as a potential location http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

8Bit
10-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Michael, any news on a return to Indy in 2013 for PRI? I saw OptimumG had some seminars planned right before and after PRI. Thanks.

Michael Royce
10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
8Bit,
Sorry. The SAE's Motorsports Engineering Activity will not have an official presence at PRI in Indianapolis this coming December, although a number of the Committee will be there in conjunction with their own businesses. So no Roadshow in Indy in December.

After 2 years in Indy, I think it is time to go somewhere else to spread the wealth, and am thinking of trying a Roadshow in upper NY state or New England in January. There are a significant number of universities and colleges within driving distance of some locations in that area.

Any thoughts?

Michael Royce
11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
All,
We were thinking of upper NY state or New England next January, but apparently the rules covering the funding we have had in previous years to get the presenters there have changed. So no Roadshow this January. We are working on getting a source of funding for 2015.

Kaley has the presentations from prior Roadshows on the CDS web site.