PDA

View Full Version : DOCUMENTATION FOR DESIGN EVENT

Aparna
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
hie..
i wanted to know what documents have to be taken along with us for the design presentation event... other than the design report which the judges have already read..
the design event has me really confused..
so please specify all the documents (calculations....test results...etc...) that need to be take for the competition...
reply asap please

Aparna
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
hie..
i wanted to know what documents have to be taken along with us for the design presentation event... other than the design report which the judges have already read..
the design event has me really confused..
so please specify all the documents (calculations....test results...etc...) that need to be take for the competition...
reply asap please

exFSAE
09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
You're there to sell the design of your car. Have everything and anything relevant to it, that you can reference very quickly and easily.

Load predictions, suspension curves (as designed), FEM results, exploded views of major assemblies, maybe extra parts on hand, test data (DAQ, compliances, failure loads, tire temps, lap times, driver comments, dyno curves)... etc.

Like I said, anything that's relevant to the design of your car.

Adambomb
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I can tell you from experience, you can never have too much, and like exFSAE said make sure it's well organized.

It's really best to start preparing at the beginning of the year, I find it easiest to just log all of my work in one huge word document as a crude digital journal.

I've gotten questions from design judges about everything from damping coefficients to details about an optimization algorithm (they actually wanted to look at the code).

Plus the judges seem to prefer you thumbing through pages over a just giving them a blank stare any day http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

drywater
09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
according to my experiance at the formula student....design posters are a must ,so i set them as the top priority.Moreover design judges can ask for anything ,so you better have every calculations,design etc in a folder or your laptop.Besides that ,you must be present there mentally,they can ask you anything and everything.

Drivetrain leader

Charlie
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
In the current age of cheap digital cameras and memory, and 99% of design work done on computer, there's really no excuse to not have proof of your design methods for the judges.

I recommended to teams at FSAE-W that they keep folders throughout the year where they just dump screenshots & photos. Whenever anything is done take a screenshot or photo of the result or whatever caused you to take a certain direction. Name them accordingly and sort them into named folders. It takes a minimum of time, and at the end of the year you'll have plenty of stuff ready for design boards.