PDA

View Full Version : Button going to Williams!

Eddie Martin
08-06-2004, 07:38 PM
What does everyone think of Button going to Williams? Has he made a big mistake?

If he stays at BAR now, because of legal action, he will be an outsider. If he goes to Williams and they have a slow car or Webber beats him, he will look like an idiot and probably end up driving a jordan for the rest of his career. A very strange move.

Eddie Martin
08-06-2004, 07:38 PM
What does everyone think of Button going to Williams? Has he made a big mistake?

If he stays at BAR now, because of legal action, he will be an outsider. If he goes to Williams and they have a slow car or Webber beats him, he will look like an idiot and probably end up driving a jordan for the rest of his career. A very strange move.

Ben Steele
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
I have to say, I do think that Jenson Button has made a mistake, not necessarily by deciding to switch, but by doing it the way he did. I don't really know enough about the two teams to tell you that either BAR or Williams shows more promise, but by announcing his intentions to switch without even discussing those plans with the team bosses at BAR Button has put himself in a pretty precarious situation. If, because of contractual obligations, Button is stuck at BAR next season he will definitely be somewhat of an outsider, and I think we all know that without the team engineers and mechanics behind him %100 not even Michael Shumacher would be winning races. If memory serves me, Shumie currently has 52 consecutive races without a single mechanical failure. Numbers like that show total devotion among Ferrari's ranks and really show how much the guys behind the scenes contribute to a driver's success.
If Button is forced to race with BAR next season he's going to be in bad shape.

--Ben Steele

Nick McNaughton
08-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Williams went from being driver-less to looking pretty good for next season, all within a week. I can't wait...

Patriotism obliges me to worry about whether Button will show Webber up and end his run of beating team mates...

I get the feeling that if Button had discussed his intentions with BAR the 'contractual window' would have been slammed shut. It all depends on how you view BAR in the grand scheme of things. Are BAR only seen as front runners because McLaren and Williams are having a dud year... or are they leading the charge and deserve to be compared to the big three?

Despite Button's success this season with BAR, if you were to put money on who would be the most successful of the two teams over the next five years - it'd have to be Williams... but it's still a tough call.

Eddie Martin
08-08-2004, 07:17 PM
It looks like the Button move is final now, so who will get the two seats at BAR and Jaguar, Jordan, Minardi and Sauber plus the one seat at Toyota.

Sato will probably hang around at BAR, pushing up the repair bill as always, to keep Honda happy. Coulthard, Davidson and Wurz will probably try to get seats at Jaguar and Sauber. Maybe Hakkinen will go to BAR or it could be Davidson. Hopefully some new guys come in and get rid of the also rans at the rear of the field.

It will be interesting to see how the Williams and McLaren cars go in 2005 and how the team mates go against each other. Will Montoya or Rakkinen and Button and Webber come out on top? Should be interesting.

jack
08-08-2004, 10:06 PM
...sounds like williams is dumping the tusks in time for hungary, mabey jense will have a fast car next year...http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vinHonda
08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
I must say I was VERY shocked to hear this. All BAR have been pushing is how they wanna win the World Championship with Jenson. For him to do this, is a huge mistake for him....perhaps only temporarily though....perhaps catastrophicaly for his career.

But experience tells me, when you deal with a situation in a ruthless manner in which it doesn't deserve to be dealt with in that way; you'll end up somehow worse off. What goes around comes around.

There are a number of things that may happen: Firstly, I think it's important to establish that Jenson and his management, Essentially Sport, have made it clear that their intention is race a BMW car next year. So a few things can occur:

1) BAR make a tonne of money after legalities and get Mika H. to win the World Championship with them. Jense struggles with a slow Geoff Willis-less car.

2) Jense is forced to stay at BAR next year or quit F1, BAR screws his ass and the mechanics give him a horribly unreliable car. Taku and him never finish races and BAR finishes last in the constructors championship. BAR sells to Osama Bin Laden after Honda pulls the plug.

3) Everyone makes up and Jenson stays at BAR happily. Until Williams decides it wanted Sato all along. Sato jumps ship to BMW and Antonia Terzi designs him a winning giraffe-nosed Williams to make him the first Japanese to ever win a championship.

2a) Osama hires Formula SAE alumni to make an F1 car. Grads from Toronto, Auburn, RMIT and Western Washington find that mating a bunch of Honda F4i's doesn't make for a very good F1 engine. Not to mention restricting it to 20mm. Hoosier's grooved F1 tire provides ridiculous grip and Chassis Shop somehow starts supplying Ferrari.

All kidding aside. I think sadly, we'll see Jenson at williams next year.....with a lot less fans....and Mika or Trulli (doubtful) at BAR. The pace of each car is still up to the engineers. I just wanna see Sato win some races!!

Vinh Pham

Ben Beacock
08-10-2004, 08:34 AM
I just want JV back in the mix. Probably wouldn't be BAR, since the bridges were burned on the way out. Perhaps with Toyota?

Brent
08-10-2004, 10:26 AM
JV is the most selfish driver in Formula 1. Its more than just mere coincidence that as soon as he leaves BAR is awesome.

JB is a rising star and should be with the best team he can be with, which is BAR. The way he turned his back on the team that gave him everything is ridiculous.