PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage in a Road Car

RiNaZ
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
a friend of mine who is a local race car driver in Malaysia was asking me if i could make a proposal to the Dept. of Transportation of Malaysia on putting a roll cage in his road car (Dept. of Transp. wouldnt give permission to install a roll cage in a road car). Knowing him and his street racing background, i declined because i knew what he was going to do with the car if he gets to install a roll cage in it.

He asked me to name a few reasons why he shouldnt have a roll cage install in his car other than using it for street racing purposes. His reason is that ... having a roll cage is more safer in case of an accident.

My argument is that ... who would want a roll cage in a street car ... it's hard to get in and out of the car, it's heavy, it will cost money. But he said those are not a strong argument on not having a roll cage in a street car.

Im really against street racing, and i know for a fact ... these street racers are going to be more daring when they feel safe being inside a roll cage.

Anybody have any idea or suggestion on what i should tell my friend and his team of group racer on why having a roll cage is not a good idea on a street car?

p/s: telling them racing is a dangerous sport wouldnt do any good.

RiNaZ
08-22-2004, 11:33 PM
a friend of mine who is a local race car driver in Malaysia was asking me if i could make a proposal to the Dept. of Transportation of Malaysia on putting a roll cage in his road car (Dept. of Transp. wouldnt give permission to install a roll cage in a road car). Knowing him and his street racing background, i declined because i knew what he was going to do with the car if he gets to install a roll cage in it.

He asked me to name a few reasons why he shouldnt have a roll cage install in his car other than using it for street racing purposes. His reason is that ... having a roll cage is more safer in case of an accident.

My argument is that ... who would want a roll cage in a street car ... it's hard to get in and out of the car, it's heavy, it will cost money. But he said those are not a strong argument on not having a roll cage in a street car.

Im really against street racing, and i know for a fact ... these street racers are going to be more daring when they feel safe being inside a roll cage.

Anybody have any idea or suggestion on what i should tell my friend and his team of group racer on why having a roll cage is not a good idea on a street car?

p/s: telling them racing is a dangerous sport wouldnt do any good.

Ashley Denmead
08-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi RiNaZ,

if a roll cage was so safe wouldnt the car manufacturer have put one in the car?? assuming you are using the car for its intended purpose that is! a Roll cage is often used as a chassis stiffening tool as well as a safety thing, something to keep in mind i guess. Maybe you should let him fight his own battle http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ash

Rallyboy990
08-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Ever hit your head on a roll cage with out a helmet? Even with good cage padding it can really hurt they are truly made to work with a racecars safety package (i.e. race seats 5 points helmet...)

Now if he does want a cage so bad look to see if there are any rally cars around. The reason being that rally cars have to be "street legal" and insured to drive on the street. They do all this with a cage and most rally dives have run in to problems like trying to explain the cage to your insurance company, so they might be able to offer insight. But agina know what he may or is going to do with a cage it sounds like a bad idea.

BryanH
08-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Rollcage is very harsh on the unprotected noggin in even low speed accident, which is why they are not approved.

Tell him to make replica in 2" plastic water pipe and paint it black

RiNaZ
08-23-2004, 10:36 AM
good suggestions y'all, keep it comin'. Hey halfast, what's a noggin? I like the idea of a 2" PVC.

Chase
08-23-2004, 06:06 PM
that's American for your cranium protector or better know as skull; in reference to what a noggin was

fsae_alum
08-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Point 1: A roll cage is a VERY good way to get the attention of the police passing by!!

Point 2: Hope the guy doesn't want to carry any women in the car. All but a select few women wouldn't be too keen on a rollcage. I can hear them complaining now.

Point 3: If he EVER wants to sell the car (and at some point he will), nothing says "I was beat on pretty bad" for a car other than a roll cage (except maybe an engine with a hole in the side of the block coupled to some bald tires)

Jon Weir
08-27-2004, 07:03 AM
A roll cage should never be used without a helmet and harness. You will do more damage hitting the cage with your bare head.

A harness should never be used without a roll cage. you will get trapped/crushed during a bad accident.

RollcagePositive
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I just got out of the hospitaldue to an accident on the street w a telephone pole to the passenger side. Im still living, my female is not. Without going any further into the details, this brings me to a question, or a problem. I will be looking to make my next streetcar only safer to side impact, and I want to run 4 point harnesses because of injuries I got from my lapbelt(severed liver-severed pee tube).Is there a cage out there that gives full side protection, rollover behind the seats but no dangerous metal to hit the noggin on up front? I wont need it to pass race specks. I had a 2 door 1998 Lincoln Mark 8. Should be plenty of room for a cage! I want the new one stiffer, safer, and mabye ricaro seats w 4 point restraints. Whats my next step?