PDA

View Full Version : Cost report 2011

DEAD_MAN
03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Hey people....Im making the cost report for my team this yaer...
I had a few doubts while making it..

1)We are using the Drexler differential,the differential internals have been specified in the processes excel sheet. But the housing of the differential has not been mentioned as a standard part and written costs as made. So how are we supposed to include the housing in the cost report or is it included in the differential internals only?

2)We are planning to use turn buckle for mounting our differential on the chassis mount. The turn buckle that we want to buy is made as a single piece out of die casting. If we use this part, then how will its cost be included in the report, the price that we have bought it at or will we have to add the die casting process for this single piece as well?

3)This year, we are having the tripod and the half axle as a single piece. So how are we suppose to get its costing done, as the cost of a tripod is standard value and that of a half shaft is as per the manufacturing.

jd74914
03-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Ok...you just need to get into the thinking mode of the judges.

1) Differential - While it is unlikely that you will be hobbing gears, making a housing is within the realm of possibilities for most teams. If there isn't a standard housing cost you need to cost is as if you manufactured it. Then you combine it in an assembly with the internals and gear, etc, for a total differential cost.

2) Since you are past the deadline for submitting commodity parts, if you want to be technically correct you would need to cost it as a cast and machined piece.

3) I'm not entirely sure what a halfshaft is, but I'm assuming that it is the [usually splined] piece that fits into the hub.

For this item you count the tripod housing machining costs as part of the halfshaft machining cost. It should all be done on a single cost report sheet. Then you do not include the standard cost of the tripod.

Hopefully that helps.

df_fsmb
05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Being a new team, we did not go the usual route of entering only Class C/3 or whatever for the first year but rather built a car from scratch - we tought it would be more useful to go through the whole process in one year even if it meant that there would be much less design time spent on it. Otherwise, we tought, we would really design, design, design for a year and a half, not living in the real world of being able to manufacture and assemble everything you draw.

So the bottom line is that we are finishing our car, but are weak when it comes to all the documentation required for cost report. In our first year, immediately building a car, it was inevitable that in some areas of the competition we would fall back (not that cost report is the only such area).

Has anyone been in this situation before?
How are the experienced teams doing with the cost report - do you have every single part drawn out and absolutely all the drawings assembled together?

DEAD_MAN
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
well after almost four years into the competition, this year we had it as 1 of our goals to get the whole meaning the whole car including brake lining also on CAD and only then we started with manufacturing.
With the whole car on CAD, its better to see all the interferences and changing them before manufacturing and then again re-manufacturing it to fit to the size.
All the experienced team also first get the Whole car on CAD, that's how you make an FSAE car.

Gemi
06-16-2011, 06:04 AM
hello everyone .. i have the rule to make the cost report to our team this year ... we used to be in class 2 ... i just want to ask how can i get the application which will help us to make the cost report ... also need to know if there is a new tables for 2011 ?!! i have 2010 tables ... is it works ?!! i know we are too too late ... but this is a special case in Egypt after the revolution .. hopefully some info is provided ... and thanks in advance

DEAD_MAN
06-17-2011, 12:11 AM
All the formats and the new tables for the cost report are available at the below website:

www . fsaeonline . com

Gemi
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
thnx alot http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif