PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Honeycomb

Rob B
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
We just got in an order of aluminum honeycomb (HexWeb ACG), and it's more than we need. The honeycomb is 7.9" (20cm) thick. It has a stroke of 70-75% and it is not pre-crushed. According to Hexcel, pre-crushing can be performed with a ballpien hammer denting the honeycomb 1/8" to 1/4" deep. The honeycomb has a crush strength of 120 psi, and a density of 3.3 lbs/cf

We are selling the honeycomb for $0.50 per square inch. From my calculations, it looks like less that 106 sq. in. of honeycomb is needed to satisfy the rules. Due to administrative reasons, the orders must be at least $100. This should be twice what is needed for the impact attenuator, but then there is extra for a physical test or for next year's car.

We are able to accept checks written out to "University of Illinois Formula SAE" and sent to

University of Illinois Formula SAE
c/o Dr. Norman Miller
Mechanical Engineering Building
1206 W Green St. MC244
Urbana, IL 61801

If you have any questions email me at bernas@uiuc.edu

Rob

Rob B
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
We just got in an order of aluminum honeycomb (HexWeb ACG), and it's more than we need. The honeycomb is 7.9" (20cm) thick. It has a stroke of 70-75% and it is not pre-crushed. According to Hexcel, pre-crushing can be performed with a ballpien hammer denting the honeycomb 1/8" to 1/4" deep. The honeycomb has a crush strength of 120 psi, and a density of 3.3 lbs/cf

We are selling the honeycomb for $0.50 per square inch. From my calculations, it looks like less that 106 sq. in. of honeycomb is needed to satisfy the rules. Due to administrative reasons, the orders must be at least $100. This should be twice what is needed for the impact attenuator, but then there is extra for a physical test or for next year's car.

We are able to accept checks written out to "University of Illinois Formula SAE" and sent to

University of Illinois Formula SAE
c/o Dr. Norman Miller
Mechanical Engineering Building
1206 W Green St. MC244
Urbana, IL 61801

If you have any questions email me at bernas@uiuc.edu

Rob

drivetrainUW-Platt
01-20-2006, 08:35 PM
how much of this do you have?

Rob B
01-24-2006, 07:15 PM
We ordered a 4' by 8' piece and we are selling what we can't possibly use

J. Schmidt
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Are you still selling this? Please check your email.

Joel

Rob B
04-17-2006, 06:57 PM
We have sold all that we have for this year. Thanks to all the teams that helped us defray some of the costs of buying all this honeycomb

Rob

kozak
04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
ROB IF YOU GET SOME FOR NEXT YEAR LET ME KNOW AND WE WILL BUY SOME WE JUST COULDN;T GET OUR CAR TOGETHER IN TIME THIS YEAR.