PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Event at FSUK 2011

Fantomas
06-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey,
I just read about the "Acceleration Event: Top 6 Run-off" in the schedule of FSUK2011.
I was wondering if anyone of you knows details how this will affect points and how this is operated in general.

Fantomas

IMechE_FS_team
06-28-2011, 02:47 AM
We have have decided to spice things up a little at the end of the first mornings dynamic events for the spectators and teams by running an Acceleration Event Top 6 Run off. It will be a great opportunity for all the spectators and teams to see the fastest cars in action in one go.

To keep it fair for all the competitors, all the original acceleration times will stand, and the Top 6 teams will fight it out for an additional prize. Each team will have one run and they can choose any one of their nominated drivers. If a team elects not to run, then the 7th placed team in acceleration will be invited to participate in the run-off, but who wouldn't want to run again on the world famous Silverstone track!

Further details will be published in the event handbook which will be available soon.

Howard

FS Steering Committee

Fantomas
06-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Hi Howard,
thanks for the clarification. A KO-system would be nice, but takes more time of course.

Can you also comment on the track layout information which I noticed on the FS UK website? It says:
"There is a small rumble strip in the track, so we are aiming to allow teams to view this area closely on the evening of Thursday 14 July such that teams can set-up their cars to meet these regulations correctly."

Do you have any pictures of this rumble strip? And why do you setup the track so that it includes the rumble strip?

Fantomas

Luniz
06-28-2011, 05:49 AM
I suspect it will be similar to the situation last year, where there was a cross-over from the F1-Tracks tarmac runoff area to the actual F1 track, across one of those white and red "kerbs".

However, if this should be the case, I would suggest to the organisers to NOT fill this kerb with additional tarmac, as that made this particular section of the track very slippery. The tarmac didn't hold up properly and the debris was spilled over the corner.
Our cars have to have at least 50.8mm of suspension travel, this should be sufficient to clear this kerb.

IMechE_FS_team
06-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Fantomas,

The inclusion of the rumble strip is by no means deliberate, its a case of making the best track with the space we have. Infact, around half of the autocross / endurance track will be on the actual circuit.

The rumble strip won't be covered in an attempt to even it out as last year and the track has been designed so the cars approach the rumble strip area at a less acute angle. The cars will be level with the high point of the rumble strip as they approach it and then run down the width of the strip which has less than a 1" drop.

Howard

FS Steering Committee

Fantomas
07-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Howard,
thanks for the information. It sounded worse in the description on the website.

Will the on-track operations still be handled by the marshalling team from the last years or will you exchange them for experienced former team members? Since I am always concerned about the "performance" of the marshalls at FS UK and several posts in this forum draw the same picture. This is in my opinion a low hanging fruit to improve the experience and safety for the participating students.

Fantomas

IMechE_FS_team
07-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Fantomas,

Yes, the track will be marshalled by the very best people trained to deal with driver safety in the event of an accident. Lets not forget the safety of drivers, marshalls and spectators before that of a car.

Howard

FS Steering committee

Thrainer
07-04-2011, 01:10 PM
The question of the day is: How many of the top 6 acceleration performers will be electric cars? My tip is "two". What do you think?

Fantomas
07-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by IMechE_FS_team:
Fantomas,

Yes, the track will be marshalled by the very best people trained to deal with driver safety in the event of an accident. Lets not forget the safety of drivers, marshalls and spectators before that of a car.

Howard

FS Steering committee

Howard,
frankly speaking, some of the marshalls from last year were not even able to run, some because of their BMI, some because of their age. Two of them were even limping! I do not really get, how that comes together with driver safety.

Fantomas

Fantomas
07-15-2011, 02:00 PM
No answer is also an answer...

Fantomas