PDA

View Full Version : Bodyshell Drawings

Richy O
05-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I've got a couple of questions about drawings of the our bodyshell for the Cost Report.

1) As the bodyshell is based on a mould which in turn is based around the spaceframe, how do we produce models for it? Do people make rough estimations of it's proportions or use a CMM to measure it?

2) What is the best way to represent these models in the cost report? Simple 3rd angle projection drawings they do not make!

Help is much appreciated in this area as apparently the cost report has to be in fairly soon...

Richy O
05-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I've got a couple of questions about drawings of the our bodyshell for the Cost Report.

1) As the bodyshell is based on a mould which in turn is based around the spaceframe, how do we produce models for it? Do people make rough estimations of it's proportions or use a CMM to measure it?

2) What is the best way to represent these models in the cost report? Simple 3rd angle projection drawings they do not make!

Help is much appreciated in this area as apparently the cost report has to be in fairly soon...

Michael Jones
05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm very confused. Does F Student require such detailed information for the cost report? Ours had a very basic isometric view of the initial design of the body in it and a liberal calculation of what the general sq. ft. of glass used, especially since the original design was rather drastically altered to fit protruding elements in mid April.

As with any cost report preparation, the best strategy is not to think too much about it and develop something that's defensible - erring on the liberal (i.e., expensive) side when required. That way, you can't possibly go wrong - and the time you'll spend estimating down to the last square inch of glass will be saved, which is probably worth the fractions of points you'll save doing so.

DY
05-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Assuming you have a computer model of your bodywork, most CAD packages offer a surface area calcuation tool. Take a look at your help files.

It doesn't sound like you have a model though, so an estimate as Michael said looks like your best shot. As for showing it in the cost report, why not photos?