PDA

View Full Version : The "Dark Side"

Frank
12-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I've sledged design judges, organisers, car park attendants, marshals, and scrutineers. After 5 years of FSAE, including a few good results (3rd, 4th, and 2nd overall at FSAE-A) I figured it was time to be a volunteer. I'm not sure if my initial motivation was to make a difference, curiosity, a sense of obligation, or good ˜ol FSAE withdrawal symptoms. I saw a completely different side to the competition.

On Friday I was an "inexperienced tech inspector", working in a team led by Wollongong's past leader, Eddie Martin. Thanks for your help in showing me the ropes Eddie! What I learnt is that a team's likelihood of success can be easily determined from the first 5mins of tech.

Nearly every car will have something picked up, even FSAE gurus like RMIT and UWA! The best teams had members who had either witnessed a tech inspection or taken part in one before. It's a good idea to videotape the tech inspection process for new members to watch!

It used to be the number of threads protruding from fasteners that would unravel the weight conscious, meaning a furious bout of cutting down cap-screws in the pit before a re-inspection. The rule is now clearly defined and teams who read the rules won't risk "not 2 threads" syndrome.

The OEM fuel-hose rule caught a heap of teams this year; they're expected on ALL fuel lines now. Gaps in firewalls, and occasionally "line of sight to 100mm above the base of the driver's helmet and any component containing fluids" will get the better teams with their pants down, but it is usually easily fixed with tape, or rapid sheet metalwork.

Some teams are also pushing the limit on "inversion of the steering system". Understandable when the tracks demand huge steering angles and Ackerman is the favoured steering progression. But people, if you're going to push the limit, at least have shims at the ready if tech inspectors don't like the compliance and want your steering travel reduced.

What really surprised me throughout the day was that there were teams who didn't understand the intent of the technical rules; and in some cases obviously hadn't read the technical rules nor scrutinised their car beforehand. Most of these teams took the knock backs well (the scrutineers are routinely compassionate), but a few who were about miss skid-pan on the Saturday stated to "loose it".

A few tips for tech:
1/ Be in the first few cars in line. The tech inspectors are under pressure to get the cars out on the track. Later in the day they have more time, more experience, and a more rigorous inspection procedures in place.

2/ DON'T front up with any fluids leaking / pooling / dripping from your car. You'll be sent away.

3/ Have all your systems easily accessible, and viewable. Have the nosecone off, and preferably seat out (or ready to remove) before you get there.

4/ Neat cars get through quick. In some cases it takes the inspector time to determine which components are which. Give the inspectors a hand by pointing where the components are. Example "We have a fuel tank here (competitor points) and we use an in-tank low pressure fuel pump, there is a fuel header-tank here (pointing again) and a high pressure fuel pump here."

5/ If your going to deliberately cheat, then be an adult when you get caught out.

6/ Have a complete copy of the rules printed and with the car.

7/ Remember to bring BOTH of your fire extinguishers, and ALL of your driver's safety apparel.

8/ Best advice is to get your alumni involved with the event. They raise the standards in tech, and can't inspect your car.

Frank
12-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I've sledged design judges, organisers, car park attendants, marshals, and scrutineers. After 5 years of FSAE, including a few good results (3rd, 4th, and 2nd overall at FSAE-A) I figured it was time to be a volunteer. I'm not sure if my initial motivation was to make a difference, curiosity, a sense of obligation, or good ˜ol FSAE withdrawal symptoms. I saw a completely different side to the competition.

On Friday I was an "inexperienced tech inspector", working in a team led by Wollongong's past leader, Eddie Martin. Thanks for your help in showing me the ropes Eddie! What I learnt is that a team's likelihood of success can be easily determined from the first 5mins of tech.

Nearly every car will have something picked up, even FSAE gurus like RMIT and UWA! The best teams had members who had either witnessed a tech inspection or taken part in one before. It's a good idea to videotape the tech inspection process for new members to watch!

It used to be the number of threads protruding from fasteners that would unravel the weight conscious, meaning a furious bout of cutting down cap-screws in the pit before a re-inspection. The rule is now clearly defined and teams who read the rules won't risk "not 2 threads" syndrome.

The OEM fuel-hose rule caught a heap of teams this year; they're expected on ALL fuel lines now. Gaps in firewalls, and occasionally "line of sight to 100mm above the base of the driver's helmet and any component containing fluids" will get the better teams with their pants down, but it is usually easily fixed with tape, or rapid sheet metalwork.

Some teams are also pushing the limit on "inversion of the steering system". Understandable when the tracks demand huge steering angles and Ackerman is the favoured steering progression. But people, if you're going to push the limit, at least have shims at the ready if tech inspectors don't like the compliance and want your steering travel reduced.

What really surprised me throughout the day was that there were teams who didn't understand the intent of the technical rules; and in some cases obviously hadn't read the technical rules nor scrutinised their car beforehand. Most of these teams took the knock backs well (the scrutineers are routinely compassionate), but a few who were about miss skid-pan on the Saturday stated to "loose it".

A few tips for tech:
1/ Be in the first few cars in line. The tech inspectors are under pressure to get the cars out on the track. Later in the day they have more time, more experience, and a more rigorous inspection procedures in place.

2/ DON'T front up with any fluids leaking / pooling / dripping from your car. You'll be sent away.

3/ Have all your systems easily accessible, and viewable. Have the nosecone off, and preferably seat out (or ready to remove) before you get there.

4/ Neat cars get through quick. In some cases it takes the inspector time to determine which components are which. Give the inspectors a hand by pointing where the components are. Example "We have a fuel tank here (competitor points) and we use an in-tank low pressure fuel pump, there is a fuel header-tank here (pointing again) and a high pressure fuel pump here."

5/ If your going to deliberately cheat, then be an adult when you get caught out.

6/ Have a complete copy of the rules printed and with the car.

7/ Remember to bring BOTH of your fire extinguishers, and ALL of your driver's safety apparel.

8/ Best advice is to get your alumni involved with the event. They raise the standards in tech, and can't inspect your car.

Eddie Martin
12-23-2006, 10:18 PM
G'day Frank

Thanks for your kind words. It was fun working with you and Alex (Monash Alumni). Scrutineering isn't that easy, lots of things to look at in a short time with teams in a huge rush to get through to tilt.

All the officials want to give you the three stickers as soon as we can but safety is the number one priority. A lot of us have been in your shoes and understand the pressure you are under.

There have been a couple of cars come into tech that we have known won't be running that weekend but we have tried to get them through as much of the process as possible while not putting themselves or anyone else in danger.

To add to some of Franks points.
- Know the rules like the back of your hand, just because it passed last year doesn't mean it will pass this year. If you aren't sure about something email SAE to get confirmation beforehand and then bring that email response with you to the competition.

- Also if you have any questions or want feedback come and find the scrutineers later in the weekend and ask them any questions you have.

James Waltman
12-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I volunteered to do Tech Inspection in California last year. My motivations were the same as Frank's. I really enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again. I think I've talked a few other FSAE alumni into doing it too.

I agree with what Frank and Eddie said. I'll add some of my observations.

The guide for tech inspection is the Tech Sheet.
You can get it here:
http://www.sae.org/students/fsaetechsheet.xls

Don't bother getting in line for inspection until you can check off every box on that sheet. There were several teams that seemed to be surprised by things on that list.

Frank said: "neat cars get through quick"
I agree with this. The well organized teams had an easier time. The inspectors should be able to breeze through the Tech Sheet. If you are failing on some items you will get scrutinized even closer.

Have some tools ready. You'll need to remove your body work. You'll also need to make your restrictor accessible for inspection. This often means that you'll need to pull off the air filter and throttle plate.

Jenner Collins
12-30-2006, 06:04 AM
If you can, scrutineer your own car before you leave for the competition. This might be someone from your team or even an ex team member, someone that will not be soft on the rules.

It was very beneficial as we caught a few things before it went to comp. This meant we got through scrutineering 1st time at 3 competitions. Takes big weight off your mind...