PDA

View Full Version : FSAE West Practice May 6/7 2006

wingman
11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

We are planning to do a practice event on May 6th in the parking lot of Cal Speedway in conjunction with an autoX practice as was done last year with skid pad and accel courses in the morning and autoX and endurance in the afternoon, judging has not been discussed yet and will depend on the # of cars vs. the number of volenteers. Sunday the 7th will be a normal autoX practice that FSAE teams may enter for more track time, but it will be autoX only. We will keep you posted on this as details get firmed up, but we expect to be able to handle between 10 and 20 cars.

Please let us know if you are interested so we may better prepare....

wingman
11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

We are planning to do a practice event on May 6th in the parking lot of Cal Speedway in conjunction with an autoX practice as was done last year with skid pad and accel courses in the morning and autoX and endurance in the afternoon, judging has not been discussed yet and will depend on the # of cars vs. the number of volenteers. Sunday the 7th will be a normal autoX practice that FSAE teams may enter for more track time, but it will be autoX only. We will keep you posted on this as details get firmed up, but we expect to be able to handle between 10 and 20 cars.

Please let us know if you are interested so we may better prepare....

Nihal
11-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Ian: Berkeley is for sure wanting to come down. We will bring at least one car (we plan to finish the second car before then, but you know how plans work).

Dave M
11-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Cal Poly Pomona is in.

kwancho
11-12-2005, 11:52 AM
We'll come watch again!

LCheung
11-30-2005, 10:58 PM
When is the latest you guys need to know by as far as whether or not we want to participate? Which school is running the event this year?

strong_auto_concepts
12-02-2005, 11:15 AM
We talked it over here and would like to come down. Possibly with two cars. We might be able to work something out with the Washington guys too.

-Steve Strong
Oregon State University SAE President

Schulberg J
12-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Cal Poly SLO is interested.

Jason Schulberg
Cal Poly SLO Team Lead

Dave M
12-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Cal poly pomona is getting the sanction/insurance through our local solo2 section. SAE is running it.

We would like to know whos coming in advance so that we can get enough judges, etc. A few weeks before is prefered, but if you decide to come hours before the event, you will still be welcome to participate.

billywight
12-05-2005, 04:07 PM
UCSD will try to make it, possibly with 2 cars as well.

RickyRacer
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Long Beach is working their asses of to try, possibly 2 cars.(shifter kart if you let us)
Rick
Cal State Long Beach

wingman
03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Southern California Solo 2 is hosting a college formula car practice event May 6th and 7th at California Speedway.

We are inviting all Formula Teams to attend. The event will be structured as a test and tune practice day for the teams that participate. New Student Formula cars, Karts and "vintage" Student Formula cars are welcome as long as they can pass the standard tech requirements for an autoX event (i.e vehicle safety inspection and SNELL 95 or better helmet). Note: your vehicle must have some type of body paneling to protect the driver.

Remember this is a PRACTICE that will be held in the parking lot of California Speedway where the regional auto-Xes are normally held. This event will NOT include any official judging or tech inspections. The event organizers are the volunteers that are running the dynamic events at the competition. SAE is not officially involved with this practice. No times will be recorded and no results will be posted.

This is strictly a chance for you and your team to get seat time and to see if you are prepared to make the trip here and keep your car running for a weekend of tuning and track time....

The Saturday event will consist of accurate skid pad and acceleration courses, and an auto-X course that will be sized to meet the competition requirements.

The Sunday event is optional and will consist of a normal full size autoX course where you can expect to get 6 to 12 runs on a course much like you would see at the SCCA Solo 2 Nationals in Topeka Kansas.

Entry fee for the event will be $100 per vehicle entered. Teams may enter more than one vehicle (i.e. this year's car plus a past last year's car or a kart or ???)

We should have plenty of room for extra entries, but we reserve the right to cancel your entry (with refund of course) for a second or third vehicle if there are teams that can't get in with one entry.

We plan to provide water for the teams and volenteers, but you will need to provide food, fuel, and any other resources your team and vehicles may need.

The event is free to watch and spectators are welcome (provided you do not disrupt the event)

Date: May 6th and 7th, 2006
Schedule:
For Saturday
Arrival time for teams: 7 am (no earlier please!!)
Drivers Meeting @ 8:30
Course opens @ 9 am
Lunch Break 12:30 to 1 pm
Courses Close at 5 pm

For Sunday:
Course Walk from 8 to 8:30
First Car out 8:45
Lunch 12:30 to 1 pm
Entry Form must be post marked by April 8th.
Courses Close at 5 pm

Entry Fee: $100.00
Make Checks Payable to: So Cal Solo 2
Send them to: Dean Case
4733 Torrance Blv. #405
Torrance Ca. 90503

Please include the following info with your check:

Team:

Vehicle Type:

Entry Priority:
(For multi entry teams i.e. 1st car, 2nd car 3rd car...)

Team contact (email and phone #)

We Hope to See you There!!!!!!

RKemmet
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Awesome, We are still interested in going (University of Arizona). Also does this mean there will be no mock design judging on saturday? Also is there any open dorm rooms or anything of that nature that we could possibly hit up? Thank you very much for your time and efforts into this event!

Dave M
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Cal Poly Pomona is in.

Ive got two small couches, a recliner, and some floor space.

kwancho
04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
So, this isn't being run by Pomona like it was last year?

Dave M
04-04-2006, 01:53 AM
not this year. Its all SAE and solo2 EBoard. were just driving this year.

Also, we are hosting our (Cal Poly Pomona) last solo2 event before comp April 22-23. As always FSAE cars get free entry Saturday and discounted rates (about $10) at the championship Sunday.

wingman
04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey everyone,

For the record, Pomona wasn't technically "running" the event last year. They were a regular entry just like everyone else. The fact is, they were able to jump in and help when we (So Cal SAE) needed them as did Stanford and several other schools. Cal Poly Pomona was simply able to help more than the rest given the number of people and recourses they had on hand to help operate the timing equipment and such. Thanks again to them and to all those that jumped in and help to make last years event a good one!!

As for this year, you are correct NO DESIGN CRITIQUE this year. With the west coast competition this year, we did not want a potentially unfair situation for those teams that could not attend a specialized design critique event that requires specific judges and such.

On the other hand, most teams have (or should have) the ability to set up a testing day for their car, so coordinating a practice event in a parking lot is something that can be done by any team, any time. In addition, the practice will help ensure that the dynamic events run smoothly in the first year of FSAE West.

As for lodging, all the attendees will need to take care of their own....

I will be keeping up with this thread so please ask any question you may have....

Regards,

Ian

wingman
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey everyone,

After reviewing the thread history,

Berkeley
Pomona
Western Washington
Oregon State
SLO
UCSD
Long Beach
Arizona
Stanford

All chimed in as being interested....

We have not heard from

USC
Sacramento State
CSUN

Are you planning on attending??

We have yet to receive any entries from anyone and are in need of a tally ASAP.

We would like to be able to tell you all to "just show up if you can" but that would be unfair to all the volunteers that are coming out to support you. We don't want to wind up with too many cars to handle or worse yet, no one showing at all....

Understand that this will be a great primer for the competition, especially since everything will be set up and coordinated for you. All you have to do is show up and run!!

And remember, though the practice is not inside the speedway, it is at Cal Speedway so you can get the lay of the land prior to the competition. i.e auto parts stores, food, lodging etcetera...

So can we at least get a posted count???

The school that I know for sure will be there is Pomona...

Are you going to let them have all the fun??

Let us know.....

kwancho
04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think we're going to make it out there. Thanks though! We'll definitely be down for the competition.

wingman
04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Alex.

How about the rest of you teams?????

billywight
04-13-2006, 04:23 PM
We (UCSD) will definately be there.

Dave M
04-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Cal Poly Pomona is in.

Nihal
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
UC Berkeley isn't gonna make it because we were lazy and don't have a running car(oh and the dyno took a crap too).

kwancho
04-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Wtf happened to the dyno? You guys better not have screwed it up...

Kirk Feldkamp
04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Blame Honda, not Berkeley. One of the power generators that runs the dyno pumps went tits up. It's being repaired once the parts show up.

-Kirk

kwancho
04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, okay, I guess that'll pass. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beau
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Ian, I spoke with you at the Solo-II event this Saturday, but just to get it on here: USC will be coming. The check is going in the mail today, I just have to make a photo copy for my accounting.

wingman
04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
The verbal entry list so far since I haven't checked with Dean for checks recieved yet...

CSUN
Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly SLO
USC (2 cars??)
UCI
UCSD

Those that let me know they can't make it:
Berkeley
Stanford
Long Beach

Let me know if I have missed anyone

T-2weeks everyone...

We wouldlike to see more of you there, so if you might be able to make it, and want to, let me know ASAP!!

cheers,

Ian

Kirk Feldkamp
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Are any of the teams coming this year running a turbo?

Hey Arizona! Are you guys coming this year?

-Kirk

Dave M
05-01-2006, 09:59 AM
The May 7th practice has opened up with 40 more spots. If anyone wants to run their own car email me at snowsk823@aol.com
$30 for FSAE
$60 for non FSAE
You should expect about 16 runs.

wingman
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Final Entry List for tomorrow...

CSUN
Cal Poly Pomona
USC car 1
USC car 2
UCI
UCSD

Se you all between 7:00 and 7:30 tomorrow morning!!!

Remember

10 FWY to Cherry North
enter through main gate, tell the gaurd you are there for the SCCA Solo 2 event and go to Lot 12 (southwest corner of the facility)

Kirk Feldkamp
05-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks Ian for a good show!

Pomona's new car looked really good for its maiden voyage. They look to be the southern California team to beat at this point!

Did anyone get pictures of the event that they could post?

-Kirk

Marshall Grice
05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
shhhh don't jinx us!
hahah

kwancho
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Where are the pictors?

Dave M
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/dlmonette/

let me know if the link doesnt work

Nick H
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Dave, that link just takes me to a Photobucket Login Page

KevinD
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
hes got a password protect on it i suspect. Dave M, can you share the password, or remove it?

billywight
05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry we couldn't make it guys... We had some unexpected difficulies at the dyno that kept us from getting there...

Billy
UCSD FSAE

Dave M
05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
just made it public, my bad. first time using photobucket. I have more pics, but they are only of our car. I'll check with the guys if they have any more pics

wingman
05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey Everyone,

I really had a great time helping to put this together this year!!

Thanks to all involved for making it a great event!!

Sorry UCSD couldn't make it!!

The five cars that did... (Pomona, UCI, CSUN, & USC with 2 cars) I hope we made it worth your time to help us prepare the timing systems, equipment and volunteers for the competition!!

Good luck to all in completing your cars....

See you in June!!

Cheers,

Ian