PDA

View Full Version : SCCA rules for FSAE

Travis R
01-06-2005, 05:11 AM
The 2005 SoloII rule book can be downloaded for free from SCCA.
I don't know if this is a new rule or what, but to me it sounds pretty crappy.
--------------
18.5.E.10 - ... Shifter mechanisms must be manually operated, no air or electric assisted shifters are allowed.
--------------
Thoughts?

js10coastr
01-06-2005, 08:02 AM
that blows...I assume it's safety related since the bottles hold a fairly high pressure.

Denny Trimble
01-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Interesting. I also wonder why they included:

-"overflow bottles for carburetor and radiator are mandatory" Carburetors?

-"clutch must be original oil-type. Dry clutches are prohibited."

-"Transmission: OE cases and transmission gear ratios must be stock for engine used."

-"Exhaust Systems: fixed pipes only... a spec exhaust system may be specified at a later date for National level competition."

I wonder who came up with these additional restrictions, and why?

Here are the rules (PDF) (http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf)

Travis R
01-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Exactly.
And isn't the max. displacement for FSAE 610cc, to allow for a rebuild?
Looks like we need to get an old FSAE member onto the MAC (Modified Advisory Committee) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Jon Huddleston
01-07-2005, 11:47 PM
I'll pass the word on to Dr. Woods. Hopefully he can get some more information on these interesting requirements.

-
01-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I believe the limit of 610cc was in place to include a single cyclinder rotax engine that some teams have used. That is what I have heard passed down the line at my school, and I seem to remember reading about it in a brief history of fsae a while back.

I think Dr. Woods could elaborate on this since I believe he was part of the decision making of the rules which we use today.

John Bucknell
01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
610 cc was/is a common overbore for aftermarket pistons (allowing a slightly 'tired' engine to be used). Got nabbed by that rule early on, before accurate displacement measurement tools came to pass - we hadn't even opened our engine up after buying it from a wrecker, scared us silly. Tore down the head right in tech, got remeasured and found to be right at 598 cc - and we didn't have a spare gasket set, so the car stayed that way all summer.

Dick Golembiewski
01-11-2005, 11:06 AM
The 610cc rule was put in to allow for an overbore. It had nothing to do with the Rotax thumper.

- Dick Golembiewski

Jon Huddleston
01-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I just was informed by Dr. Woods that he is working with SCCA to get the rules to the previous years "has competed at FSAE with current restrictor and aero rules..." It seems like the writers confused us with F125. You can tell by Section E which makes no sense at all with the sub-rule starting with 8.

Dr. Bob Woods
01-12-2005, 08:37 AM
I have talked to SCCA. There is a printing error in the rules that are on-line. If you notice the rules go A, B, C and then jump to 8, 9, 10. This is a misprint. I think these rules apply to karts. I am working with SCCA to get this corrected back to the original FSAE class rules.

I will work with them on the 610 displacement as well, however, the engine size doesn't matter if you have the restrictor in place. We could all agree not to protest each other.

-Dr. Bob Woods
UTA Faculty Advisor

Travis R
01-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Glad someone is working on it.
The engine size doesn't bother me as much as all the other crazy rules... primarily the shifter part since we're air powered.

UTA racer rikki
01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
While on the subject of SCCA Nationals, more teams should plan to come. It's the best surface I have ever been on in terms of grip. Granted, there are some slight elevation changes that happen in a hurry.

Even still. SCCA wouldn t know what to think let alone do if 1/4th of the Formula SAE cars signed up for this years Nationals event. Look at it as an opportunity to really showcase your car for what it is intended to be used for, Autocrossing!

On top of that, we are all there to do something we all love to do. There is no pressure from getting ready for design judging, cost event, etc. You are there to race and drive your car as fast as you possibly can. I don't know of many surfaces that give you the opportunity to pull as many g's and challenge your car's ability than SCCA solo Nationals.

So, come this September, I and the others who went last year, want to see more people signed up for Solo 2 Nationals. I bet we could end up with a total Formula SAE heat if enough people signed up! Let's make the world take notice of what we do.

Travis R
01-18-2005, 05:07 AM
I'm going to try to make it this year. I'm in the process of rebuilding our '02 car for such a purpose. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif