PDA

View Full Version : Realistic goals

Angel Maymi
01-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I am kinda lost on what realistic goals in terms of lateral g, acceleration g, and braking g I should set up for the car. Please take into consideration that we are a new team but also want to challenge our self into making good marks. Thank you

JulianH
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
It would help if you'd explain what kind of car you are building...

A 350kg Single Cylinder car will have different Accelerations then a 175kg 4 Zylinder car.

With wings you (should) have higher lateral accelerations, and so on...

As a rough number I'd say:

1.5g lateral,
1 g acceleration
1.5 g braking

That should be possible without wings.

If you need the numbers for designing your parts, you should take different load cases (e.g. a bump) into account...

TMichaels
01-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Searching the forum or just calculating with SkidPad and Acceleration times would also help answering your question...

Angel Maymi
01-31-2013, 01:50 AM
We are using a 4 cylinder inline 600 cc motor. We cant specifythe weight yet but we are aiming for not more than 410 lbs. Most probably no wings.

JulianH
01-31-2013, 02:20 AM
Well below 410 lbs with a 4 Zylinder 600cc seems to be a very optimistic goal for a first-year team.

To compare, a high-end 4 Zylinder 13 inch car weighs about 420 lbs and the 10 inch Stuttgart car from 2012 weighs just over 400 lbs.

So if you really can manage these numbers you should end up at a bit higher accelerations than I suggested before.

Tobias is right.. go to formulastudent.de check the 2012 combustion results in the Engineering Design (there you can get the car weights!) and then go to the Acceleration results to find out the longitudinal accerelations.

For the Lateral, I suggest the results from Formula Student Austria (Germany is wet pad and Silverstone was also quiet wet).

Calculate the lateral accelerations in the skidpad and add about 20% for the maximum lateral g's in AutoX or so.

It's better then nothing.

kcapitano
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Considering that your a new team I would keep things simple and aim for the following:

lateral g > 0
acceleration g > 0
braking g > 0

Keep in mind your car needs to be capable of all of the above at any given time during the competition (ie. it can't brake down) and don't underestimate just how big a challenge that is.

ThreeColours
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Angel, at least you must rape 'newton law'. Your accelerations must be higher than one gees.

Originally posted by kcapitano:
Considering that your a new team I would keep things simple and aim for the following:

lateral g > 0
acceleration g > 0
braking g > 0

You are too much optimist. But 3 gees is higher than 0 gees http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Great. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Angel Maymi
02-10-2013, 05:58 AM
I do intend to rape Newton's law.... Does anyone also know why slick tres are extremely limited in terms of brands?

PatClarke
02-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Angel Maymi:
Does anyone also know why slick tres are extremely limited in terms of brands?

They are not Angel. Literally dozens of companies make slick tyres in the size range you need for FSAE.
However, not manymake slick tyres that will operate optimally in the operating environment of FSAE or FS.

At major events it is not unusual to see up to 10 different makes of tyres being used.

At major events it is very unusual to see more than 2 different makes on the winning cars!

Pat