PDA

View Full Version : West Cost Practice 2005

wingman
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey Everyone,

The powers that be are thinking of doing another west coast practice event like last year at Buttonwillow.....

If we can pull it together, this year it will be in So Cal @ Irwindale Speedway or Cal Speedway or something equivalent.... in mid April making it 6 or so weeks before the competition.

Structure will be similar to the Buttonwilllow event (i.e. dynamic practice and static judging)

Cost per team should not be more than $100 and it will probably be less (i.e free if things work out well)

Please post replies to let us know who is interested in such an event

Thanks,

Ian

js10coastr
01-06-2005, 08:52 PM
def interested

CP SLO

Dave M
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
you know were in.

Cal Poly Pomona

Dave M
01-18-2005, 02:31 PM
anyone else?

RickyRacer
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Long Beach is in.

RKemmet
01-20-2005, 11:27 PM
send me an email i think we will be down as well (u of a) and can probably help out a lot, certain sponsorships and what not. RKemmet@gmail.com

Nihal
01-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure UCB would be up for it as well.

Micah Bayless
01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
UCSD SAE will be there with last-years car, in the least.

Jon B
01-24-2005, 11:44 AM
UCD will most likely make it there.

Courtney Waters
01-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Alright! That's what I want to hear http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Even if the guys don't make it down, I'd be glad to help out in any way I can.

wingman
01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey everyone,

We have secured the venue for the FSAE practice event.....

April 16th 2005
California Speedway

Event details soon to follow

RickyRacer
01-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Thats awesome. Way to go. Please keep us in mind if any help is needed. We will try in any way.
Ricky
CSULB

M SACLI
01-25-2005, 06:43 PM
CSUN will be there.

We wanted to be at the autocross this week also but we had a problem with last years car last weekend.

Let me know if we can do anything to help.

kwancho
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
i'd love to be there. hopefully i can make myself a team by then to bring down there!

Courtney Waters
02-02-2005, 01:28 AM
Even if you don't have your team together it would be worth the trip down to see some other cars in person and get a real idea of the scale of the parts and performance capabilities of the cars. Not to mention a lot of good "do's and don'ts" from folks who've been-there-done-that.

Kirk Feldkamp
02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Stanfurd? Who's that? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you're interested, you could swing up to Berzerkely and take a look if you're interested. We're starting testing in Alameda very soon as well.

-Kirk
U.C. Berkeley

kwancho
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
heck yeah i'd like to visit berkeley. PM me back or email me (kwancho@stanford.edu) and we can talk more. and im definetly gonna be at this practice, team or not.
-alex

js10coastr
02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
a bit off topic....but Doug Milliken is coming to Cal Poly SLO March 4th and 5th. You're all welcome to come, and I'm sure that you'll learn quite a bit to help you get started.

JConway-UofManitoba
02-12-2005, 10:17 PM
js10: is he speaking there? is it open to anyone?

js10coastr
02-13-2005, 08:59 AM
yeah, he'll be speaking for an hour and a half to 2 hours. Its' open to everyone, but the trip from Canada may be a bit much for what you'll get out of it.

Micah Bayless
02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Milliken lecture times? We can most likely make the 5th.

js10coastr
02-14-2005, 10:36 AM
friday at 7:30pm...

He'll be around saturday morning (8am til 10 or so), but it's more of an informal meeting thing.

Rumor is that CSUN is bringing their car, and we might "play" on either sat or sunday. Hopefully we can confirm that shortly.

ReadySetGo
02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
CSUS should be ready by April. Count us in again.

When is the RSVP on the Miliken lecture? I might gather some members that are interested. Anyone have a spare room http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Omar

wingman
02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey Guys,

Although I'm looking forward to the Miliken presentation, it has nothing specifically to do with the practice event in April, so we would appreciate you guys starting a separate thread to track it.....

As for the April event,

A flyer has been put together and should be released shortly if not already.....

Mike Stewart is the head of student activities for So Cal SAE and as such is coordinating the registration (among other things) for the practice.

As for as the event structure, that's my department and thing are looking really good!!!

We will keep you posted as new information comes, but let's keep this thread specific to the April practice.

Thanks

Ian

kwancho
02-17-2005, 01:20 PM
a date set yet?

Dave M
02-17-2005, 03:28 PM
april 16th 2005 at California speedway

kwancho
02-23-2005, 11:06 AM
i'll be there! do i have to pay if im not bringing a car?

wingman
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
No Alex, you do not have to offically enter just to come down and watch.

In fact, I would like to invite any teams or individual students that are coming but not competing and ask that they be inlisted to help run the event

kwancho
02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
okay, well, i know i'm going at the least. as for the team im bringing, i have no idea yet.

Nam Tran
02-28-2005, 05:41 PM
I will be attending the event as an FSAE Alumn. I'll work with wingman and figure out something I can do to help.

Some of the kiddies at UC Irvine are interested in restarting the FSAE "program" there. I'll try to drag them out with me.

ReadySetGo
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
NOOOO!!!!!! April 16th is an EIT exam date! Is there anyway we can move this date? I just realized this. I know it seems kind of late, but I'm sure there are other people taking the EIT and would love to go to this event. If there is a way to change it, can we??

wingman
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update, it looks like we will have as many as 3 former FSAE judges participating in the practice event, the venue is all set, and all looks to be the makings of a great event

buuuuuuuuut, We are missing one critical item

NO ONE HAS REGISTERED YET!!!!

Omar, in regards to your request, unfortunately it would probably be easier to have the EIT rescheduled than the practice event.... this kind of thing isn't just thrown together on a whim....

You guys please put the word out to other teams that have not heard about this....

We need to have at least 10 teams or it's not worth the judges time to come out to the event.

PLEASE contact Mike Stewart [Michael.Stewart2@Honeywell.com]
and at least let him know you are planning to attend so we can prepare.....
He can also e-mail you a flyer if you have not yet received one!!

We are 6 weeks away from this thing....

Let make it happen!!

kwancho
03-06-2005, 11:00 PM
are there any teams signed up yet? i don't want to buy all these plane tickets and not have an event to go to.
what's the schedule for the day looking like? when would we start and when would we finish?

Courtney Waters
03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I just found out that UC Davis is hosting it's annual Picnic Day (it's big yearly open-house type event) on the same day. I'll have to see if the team is going to ditch it and make it down.

Nam Tran
03-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I can probably bring a set of Computerscales if this event is still happening.

RickyRacer
03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Long Beach should be registering next week. We are waiting for approval from our tech advisor. He wants to make sure our overheating problem is taken care of. I hope other teams have or are going to register.
Ricky

kwancho
03-15-2005, 10:40 PM
yeah, can i get an update on how many teams are coming? i dont want to buy tickets if nobody's showing up.

Dave M
03-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Cal Poly Pomona will be there.

wingman
03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey everyone,

OK USC and Cal Poly Pomona were the first to register, now where are the rest of you???

The following are the teams that have contacted Mike Stewart...

UC Davis
UC Berkeley

the rest are MIA

This thing is a go and the last day to register is commin up fast so for the rest of you...

Cal Poly SLO
CSLB
UCSD
CSUN
UCSB
Sacramento

Just to name a few, or any other teams that are interested in getting a leg up before Detroit please contact Mike Stewart

Michael.Stewart2@Honeywell.com

ASAP!! He will email you the registration form and all the info that you need.

We really want 15 cars at this thing so come on guys, jump in here!!

RKemmet
03-25-2005, 10:22 AM
We will be there. I'm just looking for some more exact dates / times and is there any local hotel or anything like that that other teams will be staying at?

University of Arizona FSAE

Ryan Kemmet
Director of Marketing

Marshall Grice
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't know how many of you guys are coming but we might be able to come up with some coutch space for you guys. let me know

Dave M
03-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Saturday April 16th. First car out at 9:00am. Wingman has some more specific times. Like Marshal said I have a few couches and floor space if need be. It should be cool having an out of state team showing up.

Dave M - Cal Poly Pomona

wingman
03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey everyone,

Just an update on the April 16th practice.

Since quite a few of you probably won't have a car running for various reasons, we are considering letting teams bring an alternate vehicle to run in the autoX so your drivers can at least get some kind of seat time. This vehicle can be an older FSAE car, Kart, passenger car or any SCCA Solo 2 legal vehicle you would like to run INSTEAD OF, not in addition too, your FSAE car. If you do not bring an FSAE car and would still like to present a "paper" car to the judges, let me know and we will try to work something out....

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Other facts:

The event is being held at the same facility as the proposed 2006 west coast event.

Teams that are not competing in this year FSAE event are still welcome to attend the practice if we still have space (15 team limit)

I think we are up to 5 confirmed at this point

Hope to see you all there.

Ian (aka Wingman)

kwancho
04-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Okay, we had our first meeting, and turns out there's some interest in getting a car or two to drive down. If we bring somewhere from 5-10 people, is there some couch space some nice guys would lend us we can bum off?

Kirk Feldkamp
04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
They'll pile in the Rolls and tell the driver to take 'em to LA. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Those wacky Stanfurd kids!

I crack myself up. Hope to see you guys down there. Better yet, weekly local competition would be great. A little friendly competition never killed anyone. Plus, what would be cooler than The Big Race? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

-Kirk

kwancho
04-03-2005, 10:31 PM
HAHA. right. please. I'd be driving. and YEAH, im definetly interested in some competitions next year once (if) we get a car together. but some time this quarter it'd be great if me and maybe a couple other people could come visit and check out your facilities and your car. can i get your email address so we can talk more?

Dave M
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
for couch space email me at Dlmonette@csupomona.edu

js10coastr
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM
do we have a detailed schedule of events?

Dave M
04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
I dont have the detailed schedule but, things will start around 9am for a drivers/team meeting. After that teams will be rotating from the skid pad, acceleration (which should be timed), and static judging. After lunch its autocrossing for everybody for an hour and a half, and then endurance runs at the end.

kwancho
04-11-2005, 09:47 AM
wait, whoa whoa whoa. one day? when will it end?

edit: BerkeleyBoy, you going to be there? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RickyRacer
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Good news, Long Beach got the final go ahead and we will be sending in our application in tomorrow. So there will be another car for everyone to pass, HAHA. See you guys there.
Ricky
CSULB

wingman
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey everyone,

The event has not changed...

Saturday the 16th only!! one day

The plan is still to do

tech
design judging
skid pad
accel/braking

in the morning (7am to 12noon) and auto-x practice
sessions (MUCHO LAPS!!!) in the afternoon on Saturday

As for Sunday, that is a so cal regional autoX
championship (3 timed laps for $35) So, if you want to
stay for that(and enter if you wish) you are welcome
to do so, but it has nothing to do with FSAE...

You will be receiving detailed team schedules for the morning middle of this week...

registration opens at 7 am and judging starts at 8 so be on time!!

Also, remember to plan for members of your team (2-3 at any given time if possible) available to act as corner workers throughout the day....

Can't wait to see all of you there!!

Cheers,

Ian

Dave M
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Ignore most of my previous post, mainly my morning start time. Wingman or someone else from SAE should have sent you an email with all the info.

Get ready for ALOT of runs. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kirk Feldkamp
04-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Stanfurdite,

Yeah, we'll be there. We're driving down Friday and staying in Pomona at a team member's house. I'm not joking about the Big Race. You guys had better get a car together quickly so we can start that up!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

-Kirk

Jon B
04-13-2005, 09:53 PM
UC Davis isn't going to be able to make it to the practice event. We're having some motor issues and won't be able to get the car together in time.

Nam Tran
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Can one of the organizers of the event please contact me via PM or something? I'd like to volunteer any help that I can.

Nam Tran

kwancho
04-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Damn. That kicked ass.
Props to Pomona for putting on a hell of a show. The whole thing was really well run, and we had a great time. The autocross was sweeeet, and seeing FSAE cars in action for the first time blew my mind. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more motivated to build one of these. Special thanks to the guys who put us up for the night, and for showing us around your shop.
Thanks to Berkeley for being nice as hell. I'll send you guys an email shortly.
I'll put up some pictures (and a movie of Pomona's wing getting ripped up by cross winds and their car subsequently spinning out) too.

Daygo Nighthawk
04-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone,
Sorry but UCSD TR5 couldn't make it in time.
Our trailer is kind of not up to par, either.
Any socal teams goin to Detroit with extra trailer space?

JConway-UofManitoba
04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
I also want to thank the guys from CalPoly pomona for putting on a good show and putting us up for the night. Too bad we had to go back saturday night, I think with the success of the event the party in Pomona was pretty good.

Drop me a line anytime you guys are coming up this way or need advice with Solidworks/Cosmos works stuff.

Kirk Feldkamp
04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks to the Pomona guys for hosting the event! Special thanks to Oliver and Marshall... you guys really saved our butts! Also, Berkeley would like to thank Ian and Mike for coordinating the show. Everyone on our team had an eye-opening experience, and it will definitely help us focus on the important things for the next month.

If anyone has any pictures of the event, please post them!!! If you have any Berkeley specific photos, please contact me through http://fsae.berkeley.edu. We plan on adding more pictures to our website this week, so we'd love to see what you have!

Alex, you've got the bug. Get a plan and get going! Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you. I'm sure you talked to the guys about coming and checking out our shop in Richmond. We're going to try to get testing 2 times a week for the next month. We're in desperate need of a place to test, so 2 times a week will have to do for now!

Best of luck to all the teams at comp. West Coast represent! Heh heh. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Kirk

RKemmet
04-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I would like to echo all these last comments, thanks again Cal Poly Pomona for the event and for letting us hang out with yall on saturday night. We also would like to thank all the event coordinators for putting it on Ian and Mike really gave us something to look forward to in the future. I would also like to thank all the other schools for attending and providing an awesome time. And specifically cal poly san luis obispo without them our car would not have been able to run. Thanks again from Univeristy of Arizona FSAE "The Bug Bomb" Car as dubbed by the SCCA announcer.

-Ryan Kemmet

IttyBitty
04-18-2005, 01:04 AM
This event was great for all of us, and I'll say it again, thanks so much to Oliver and Marshall for helping us out and going out of your way to pick up that seal!(I was afraid we wouldn't be finished in time to run) We had a great time and it was great seeing everyone run.
See you all in Detroit!

-Nika

PS- oh yeah, my mom has a video of the run where Pomona lost their wing. She's mailing it to me and I'll make a copy as soon as I can and try to get it to you guys soon...I remember a few guys from your team asking us about it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Piper
04-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the group picture? Any media at all...please post!

Great event guys, hope to see you all in Michigan!

ReadySetGo
04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Man!!! Sorry CSUS couldn't make it. Our car wasn't ready for the event, and a lot of us were taking the EIT. I know we would have benifited from this because our team is going through a transition and only 3 of us have been to an actual competition.

Sounds like it was a blast and all you guys had fun! If anyone wants extra drive time, we are welcoming all who would want to drive their car in our parking lot here at sac state. We are planning on driving every sunday until competition.

-Omar

kwancho
04-18-2005, 09:07 AM
PS- oh yeah, my mom has a video of the run where Pomona lost their wing. She's mailing it to me and I'll make a copy as soon as I can and try to get it to you guys soon...I remember a few guys from your team asking us about it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

me too. im working on it.

edit: try this. it should work.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2127950380

wingman
04-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey everyone,

Sounds like you got a lot out of coming down for the practice. That makes it all worth it for me and the others that threw this thing together. I will put together a summary of the event tonight.

The pics are soon to follow as well...

Good luck to those who are headed to the competition this year!!

Cheers,

Ian

IttyBitty
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey...just wanted to let Pomona know, that I got the video copied and I just need an address to send it to. Just so you know, its copied onto a small video tape and so you guys need to find someone with a playback tape or a camera to play it back. PM me with an address or e-mail me at jncal27@berkeley.edu and hopefully it'll be there by the end of the week!

-Nika

kwancho
04-18-2005, 01:48 PM
my video should be up on my imagestation, if you try it.

Ryan V. Flavell
04-18-2005, 08:46 PM
here are some more pics from the event:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scsurfer_23/album?.dir=642a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scsurfer_23/my_photos

hope to see that video soon!

kwancho
04-18-2005, 09:17 PM
that elise was drooltacular. would have given my left nut to sit in that for an autox lap.

Kirk Feldkamp
04-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Arizona... what kind of turbo oil feed pressures are you seeing? That throttle-off oil plume seems like the same problem we used to have. A simple restrictor has really helped to alleviate the problem.

-Kirk

_Doug_
04-18-2005, 11:02 PM
We finally installed a needle valve rather than a gate valve to regulate the pressure with better resolution. We had it down to about 5-7psi. The other problem is that we didn't have a waste-gate controller and no map for positive intake pressures. Thus, oil wasn't being used because the turbo wasn't spooling and then it backed-up which led to it being sucked through the intake compressor under the massive intake vacuum from engine braking. We're going to solve the problem by scavenging from the turbo itself and by getting our waste-gate controller working. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Doug

Marshall Grice
04-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Although I wasn't personally very involved with the organization of the event, i think it went quite well. I appreciate all the hard work that went into putting this thing together. I had a great time. The video of our wing breaking off is awesome. Hopefully nobody sees it, it's kind of embarrasing. I guess we'll have to re-evaluate the mount design to account for larger crosswind conditions.

kwancho
04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah, noticed your driver got pretty sideways on that throttle lift right before that. From the wing?

Marshall Grice
04-19-2005, 10:42 PM
no, that's just crappy driving. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Piper
04-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Pictures from the competition are now up on the UA website. Click here (http://formula.engr.arizona.edu/05pics.html#calpoly2005)

IttyBitty
04-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Just wanted to see if Pomona got the video in the mail...I believe my mom sent it to Dustin.

-Nika

Scott Borg
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ittybitty, we got the tape. I'll post a link to it when I get it converted to MPEG or AVI format. (I've got to find a Hi-8 player first)

-scott-

kwancho
05-17-2005, 09:47 PM
i DO still have a video of that wing breaking off on my image station....
Link (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2127950380&idx=8)