PDA

View Full Version : Cost Report Help

PSURacing
04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi guys, i am working on our cost report and have a couple questions regarding the terminology used in the rule book. The rules state "saw or tubing cuts-$0.40/inch" does this mean if we have 1" tubing charge 3.14" for the cut or 1". Also we copped our tube ends using an end mill, where do you cost manual machining? Thanks guys

PSURacing
04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi guys, i am working on our cost report and have a couple questions regarding the terminology used in the rule book. The rules state "saw or tubing cuts-$0.40/inch" does this mean if we have 1" tubing charge 3.14" for the cut or 1". Also we copped our tube ends using an end mill, where do you cost manual machining? Thanks guys

BeaverGuy
04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
If it was a solid 1" bar cut on a bandsaw it would be 1" of cut length not the perimeter now if it was with a tubing cutter it might be 3.14" but the fact that it can be done with a bandsaw means you might as well cost it as 1". With manual machine labor it is costed at the rate for manual human labor plus setup time. Also, use the idealized time it would take if setup for production not the actual time.

BStoney
04-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Keep in mind also that you can buy tubing to your pre-determined length in the ideal manufacturing situation, and thus 'possibly' http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif eliminate a process step in your manufacturing analysis...

Also, we all know the cost analysis portion of the competition is only somewhat realistic at best, but all things aside, (I guess I can say this since I am somewhat of a senior member of FSAE (5 years now...)) the spirit of the competition lends itself to having teams be creative in how they approach each event and think "outside of the box" to find the best solution for their respective team.

Hopefully that being said sparks some creativity in portions that you may have otherwise overlooked.

PSURacing
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I have one more question regarding a "tube end prep for welding $0.75/end" if i am understanding this right they want me to cost 5 seconds of filing at $0.75...wtf

BeaverGuy
04-09-2007, 09:44 AM
I believe that end prep would include the coping of the tube as well.

PSURacing
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Ok thanks a bunch, to those of you going to west see you there.

Buckingham
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I always thought it was interesting that saw cuts were costed by length when saws actually cut an area. Cost by area would probably be more representative since it takes more time and blade wear to cut a 1" solid bar than a 1" hollow tube, but I guess I am glad its the way it is since doing it by area would be more work. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif