PDA

View Full Version : Australasia 2004 Venue

Flash
06-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Can any one (most likely in Australia) shed some light on the new venue for the 2004 Australasia Competition.

I notice the venue is a driver training facility, am I right in assuming this will be a hot-mix type surface? What vehicles are usually run on this (ie large, heavy cars), and if so is the course likely to be slightly bumpy (with bumps in all the wrong places due to extra corners being created by cones)?

From some of the comments in the recent threads about the 04 event in detroit, it sounds like the course was faster and more open than "traditional" FSAE courses. Are there any plans (one way or the other) for the Australasian competition to tend to a faster course?

Also, any hints from the locals as to typical climate in the area during December? Is it likely to rain (as seems to be the case in detroit http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), or is it fairly changable?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Houston
University of Auckland

Flash
06-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Can any one (most likely in Australia) shed some light on the new venue for the 2004 Australasia Competition.

I notice the venue is a driver training facility, am I right in assuming this will be a hot-mix type surface? What vehicles are usually run on this (ie large, heavy cars), and if so is the course likely to be slightly bumpy (with bumps in all the wrong places due to extra corners being created by cones)?

From some of the comments in the recent threads about the 04 event in detroit, it sounds like the course was faster and more open than "traditional" FSAE courses. Are there any plans (one way or the other) for the Australasian competition to tend to a faster course?

Also, any hints from the locals as to typical climate in the area during December? Is it likely to rain (as seems to be the case in detroit http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), or is it fairly changable?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Houston
University of Auckland

Ben Hatfield
06-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Matt,
I can't give you any info on the track or the track layout, but the weather at that time of year is between about 22 - 32 degrees C. Most of the time it is fairly stable fine conditions but typical victorian weather dictates there is always a small chance of rain.
How is everything coming along? We're a first year team as well if theres anything we can help you with, just let us know.

Ben Hatfield
Chief Engineer
Eureka Racing Team
University of Ballarat, FSAE-A 2004
ert@outgun.com

Colin
06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
check the photo album's i've put a photo of the venu there

Matilda
06-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Matt,

Its Melbourne, its going to rain!

Jason

Colin
06-04-2004, 07:48 PM
yea, but only for 5 or so minutes and then it'll be 30 and sunny for at least another 5 minutes http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Attitude_Mikey
06-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Is that grey pavement actually cement (damn looks like it) or faded hotmix? Any surface changes, cement -> hotmix?

Reckon you could give some hints at venue size with reference to Tailem Colin?

Cheers
Mike

Colin
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
i didn't actually go to the venue but from the photo's our team members took it looks like faded hotmix and not cement but from a few surface photo's they took it looks like there are a few surface changes. my biggest worry is those painted lines all over the place, hit one of those in the wet and it'll be all over http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif.
the area is bigger than tailem but without all those extra roads they used last year to make up the endurance/autocross track. my guess is it's going to be something similar to 2002, which in my opinion was so small it became dangerous (people where locking up and spinning after acceleration to stop before the wall) but I might be totally wrong.

Flash
06-09-2004, 01:58 AM
Cheers for the info guys. I sure hope its smooth, faded hotmix, although cement + the promised rain sounds like fun http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

Ben, things are going well, if a little behind schedule. However exams finish in the next few weeks, so we'll be looking to make ALOT of progress over the inter-semester break. Thanks and likewise if there is anything we can do to help.

If anyone has any other photos of the venue, or info on the surface, I doubt I'm the only one interested in seeing them.

Matt Houston
Chief Engineer
University of Auckland

mike240z
08-11-2004, 06:19 AM
I have a few photos from the site visit the other day. I will make them available to others soon.
The skid pan is concrete, but the rest is bitumen.

The guru of guru's
08-12-2004, 03:10 AM
Hey all.
Dont expect a flat track at the aussie comp this year. I think some of you will find the enduro track very fun. As far as surface goes, it is not a hotmix and is quite coarse. The skidpan and the test track are of equal size and are of a smooth concrete surface.
I dont know if anyone needs the drawings of the track layout, if they do i have it in pdf. From what we were told the endurance track is approx 695 meters.
Cheers
Dave.