PDA

View Full Version : Flutie's dropkick

Jersey Tom
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know how many of you caught that... but that was sweet. For those of you who missed this the couple times it was on Sportscenter...

Normally after a touchdown obviously you can go for the placekicked extra point, or the 2-point conversion.

New England had a TD.. but instead of their backup (Brady was out) QB coming back out.. or their kicking unit.. Doug Flutie comes out. Heisman winner in.. 1984. I had no idea what the hell they were doing.

He takes the snap, and drop kicked it through the uprights for the extra point. You just drop it to the ground and boot it.. obviously way more difficult than having it held. No one in the NFL has done that since 1941. Apparently Doug is like the only guy who practices it.

I was laughing my ass off. That man is old school.

Jersey Tom
01-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know how many of you caught that... but that was sweet. For those of you who missed this the couple times it was on Sportscenter...

Normally after a touchdown obviously you can go for the placekicked extra point, or the 2-point conversion.

New England had a TD.. but instead of their backup (Brady was out) QB coming back out.. or their kicking unit.. Doug Flutie comes out. Heisman winner in.. 1984. I had no idea what the hell they were doing.

He takes the snap, and drop kicked it through the uprights for the extra point. You just drop it to the ground and boot it.. obviously way more difficult than having it held. No one in the NFL has done that since 1941. Apparently Doug is like the only guy who practices it.

I was laughing my ass off. That man is old school.

Homemade WRX
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
yeah, I saw it and had to take a second look...I then fell out laughing...
by far the coolest play I have seen from football in a long time...

Ehsan
01-03-2006, 06:21 PM
That play was downright awesome. I'm a native New Englander and still live here and the sportscasters had a ball with it. One particularly bitter writer took Flutie to task over the dropkick, but in very short order, the writer was beaten down by every other local sports guys.

Flutie was already a legend here with the Hail Mary he made with BC in 1984. This just adds even one more notch on his resume.