PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to have 2 sets of rims?

Nate Urban
01-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok, this is probably something of a silly question, since im assuming its common sense to assume you need a dry & wet set of tires & wheels. But Ive heard that tire suppliers attend this event and I wasn't sure if they had the ability to change a dry set of tires to wet if the weather was to change. Since were a team of rookies here and we have a limited budget im trying to see if there is any way around what so far appears to be a neccesary expense. Any confirmation on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nate Urban
01-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok, this is probably something of a silly question, since im assuming its common sense to assume you need a dry & wet set of tires & wheels. But Ive heard that tire suppliers attend this event and I wasn't sure if they had the ability to change a dry set of tires to wet if the weather was to change. Since were a team of rookies here and we have a limited budget im trying to see if there is any way around what so far appears to be a neccesary expense. Any confirmation on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.C
01-30-2006, 11:16 AM
theres nothing that says you have to have wet tyres!

to be honest the comp is pretty much halted if there is any decent amount of water on the track! so the need for wets as such is minimal! you may be able to get away with just having slicks!

Schulberg J
01-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Nate,

I highly reccomend having a set of wheels for your slicks and another set for your wets. Both Goodyear and Hoosier will swap tires for free, but the wait is usually quite long, especially if the weather is changing.

If you are going to Detroit plan on it raining, because it will, and if you have to swap tires on your rims every time the weather changes, which in Detroit will be way too often, you will be stressed out.

PatClarke
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi All
...Quote RobC...."to be honest the comp is pretty much halted if there is any decent amount of water on the track! so the need for wets as such is minimal! you may be able to get away with just having slicks!"

Thats not really true!
Rob, if the track is declared "Wet" you will not be permitted to drive without wet tyres!
We have now had several wet and mixed weather events, and it would be heartbreaking to have to sit beside the track watching every else sliding around and having fun.

If a team is limited to one set of tyres, I would suggest they choose a tyre that can be used in wet or dry conditions.

To answer the original question. I would suggest two sets of rims. If the possibility of rain is minimal, then I would just use some second hand wheels from a wrecking yard, assuming you can find some to fit.

Regards to all
Pat C.

Garlic
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob.C:
theres nothing that says you have to have wet tyres!

to be honest the comp is pretty much halted if there is any decent amount of water on the track! so the need for wets as such is minimal! you may be able to get away with just having slicks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terrible advice, and also just plain wrong! Like Pat said, wets are required at times. And I can't think of the last competition that got along without any wet running! (Though I was no there last year)

Two sets of wheels are a vary good idea. If you are budget limited, I'd suggest getting a super cheap set of wheels, even if they are heavier than you like. That way, if it's absolutely neccessary, you can swap to wets immediately. And if you have time, you can still mount your wets on your good wheels.

Piper
02-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Last year in Detroit it did not rain during dynamic events testing and used drys the entire time, however, it did rain.

Storbeck
02-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Last year I don't believe there was any running in the rain during competition, but there deffinitely was plenty of wet track at the 04 competition. Standing water at times.

I would very strongly suggest having an extra set of wheels for rain tires. If you have only one set of wheels you might try seeing how your rain tires do in the dry and just always run rains. Last year we only had one set of rims at comp and lucked out because it didn't rain. We ended up running rain tires in the dry at the Saginaw Valley Grand Prix because rained in the mourning.

BStoney
02-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Like other's have said previously...

I would definitely recommend two sets of rims, one for rain tyres and one for slicks. Make's the headache of running around at competition that we all know too well, that much less painful and saves you TONS of time during dynamic events if a split second decision is made regarding course conditions.

You'll definitely run faster in slicks than rains, so if you can afford it, go for two sets of rims, so you can have a set ready to go on your pit cart that you haul out to the dynamic area. This is especially true now that the dynamic staging area is so far from the pits...(think about the distance from your paddock to the staging area for the skid pad)

Nate Urban
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input,

I assumed that 2 sets of wheels was the ideal option. But as far as what the event offered and what you guys have explained about all the possible headaches just helps to confirm my idea. So again thanks for the help and now we have to see if what are budget will dictate with the wheels.

Big Bird
02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Probably repeating what has been said earlier, hopefully in a slightly different way. In 2003 we made sure we designed the bolt pattern on our hubs to suit a standard wheel pattern, so that in worst case scenario if we couldn't find money for two sets of 10" rims we could use a set of 13" road wheels for the wets. Would have looked stupid - but would have got us out on the track.

(As it was we found some extra money for the second set of rims, but that is beside the point).

Cheers,

EliseS2
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Really get two if you can.

We went with only one set and not even a set of rain tires. We get passed all tech and were in line for the brake test when it started to rain. We convinced our faculty adivsor to loan us the money for rain tires and ran to the hoosier truck, where the Hoosier guy promptly makes one of our rims look like a taco, then yells at us for using that type of rim. After staring at the bent rim for a little while, we tried to see if anyone would let us borrow a set of rims, nobody was up for that, which is understandable. We then went to the GM machine shop and they were able to bend it back to shape, but we missed every dynamic event but endurance.

Yea, get two sets if you can.

Bryan Hagenauer
02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I found a solution- Come to the west event! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I just got home from an autocross at California Speedway. Weather? 82 deg F and and not a cloud in the sky.