PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Cost Report

Siv
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Hello Everyone,

On the cost report we are having trouble understanding the subtotal equation for materials. We are getting odd numbers and not understanding the reasoning behind it. Also we were wondering what should be stated for suffix. Have any of you run into this situation?

Thank you

Andreas R
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
The suffix ist explained in the Appendix S-2 number 1.6
It´s only for team use to show that you have edited a part.

Wich Tables do you use? I am still waiting for new Tables for 2013, but theres nothing on the FSAE Download page...

Fikri Aulia
01-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Now, the table already in fsae download page http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AndreasK
02-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Hi there,

does anyone know if there will be an updated Appendix S-3 vor e-Cars?

Fikri Aulia
02-26-2013, 04:13 AM
AndreasK,

Maybe you can ask directly to the commite via mail

AndreasK
02-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi Fikri Aulia,

I allready did, but no answer so far. I've asked the german rules committee since we are only starting in fse.

I'll post there answer as soon as I get one.

John Dee
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Hello everybody,

I've got a question about the new rule (FSAE S4.5)"Public Cost Report":
It is published that technical drawings won't be released. But how do we have to integrate the drawings/pictures in the e-version, so that non-releasing is secured?
> table-picture-table-picture
or
> all tables - all drawings (separated and linked)

Thanks a lot

Owen Thomas
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
John,

I do not believe you are required to include technical drawings in the cost report. If you do choose to include them and really do not want your drawings released, I would suggest including them as an appendix so they are easy to remove.

A couple other things: 1) I am not affiliated with the rules commitee, so the above statements are speculative at best. 2) I do not think anyone will want to rip off your designs, and feel like this attitude detracts from the competition as a whole.

Fikri Aulia
03-19-2013, 02:44 AM
John,

i think you can add the drawing at "file link" above the table, so the drawing included in excel

Fikri, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia

Andreas R
04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
another question about the cost report:
in the FSAE Rules it says that all machined parts need a "Machining Setup, Install & Remove" operation. Does this only concern the Process "Machining" or also other processes where machines are used? For example Laser cutting

Owen Thomas
04-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Andreas R:
another question about the cost report:
in the FSAE Rules it says that all machined parts need a "Machining Setup, Install & Remove" operation. Does this only concern the Process "Machining" or also other processes where machines are used? For example Laser cutting
That's a good question. I would say that technically laser cutting, water jetting, etc. machines still need to be set up, so the cost is incurred.

But the cost report is supposed to represent what it would cost to make a bunch of these things, and processes like the ones listed above only need to be set up once to bang out a ton of parts. I think you could argue that one down, but with all the stuff that goes on at the cost event the judges would probably just call it an error and move on.

prokyz
05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Owen and Andreas,
according to this question:
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...=895101912#895101912 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/442600868/m/6121017?r=895101912#895101912)

which was answered by Bill Rilley here:
http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...=141105752#141105752 (http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/442600868/m/6121017?r=141105752#141105752)

the process "Machining Setup, Install and remove" should be used every time the process (material removal or machining) has "Machining" in the "Multiplier type used" field.

This means laser/water jet cutting needs "Machining Setup, Install and remove" too. I totally agree with you Owen, that for one setup a bunch of parts could be cut at laser. I assume it should be okay to use the setup process with 0,1 quantity and comment it "10 parts can be cut from one sheet" (for example 10).

AndreasK
05-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by prokyz:
[...]I totally agree with you Owen, that for one setup a bunch of parts could be cut at laser. I assume it should be okay to use the setup process with 0,1 quantity and comment it "10 parts can be cut from one sheet" (for example 10).

Hi,

not only assuming it says exactly that in appendix S-1:

4.10 In certain cases, it is possible to fixture a work piece of raw material and machine more than one part out of it. For example, a self feeding lathe could machine 10 suspension inserts out of a single piece of bar stock. In this case the quantity of the ‘Machining Setup, Install and Remove’ may be set to 0.1. This represents the 10 parts that can be machined per setup. This assumption should clearly be noted in the Cost Report along with enough details for the Cost Judges to verify the part geometry is appropriate for the machine being used.

prokyz
05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by AndreasK:
Hi,
not only assuming it says exactly that in appendix S-1:

Totally right, I've just never thought about applying it to laser/water cut. Thanks for noting. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Koit
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
On the same topic, about rule 4.10 in appendix S-1:

Is the number of parts in one setup limited by how many is on the prototype vehicle, or by the amount that can be machined from one bar (as it would be in production)?

If there is only one unique small detail on the car that can be manufactured by hundreds from single piece of stock, can we still divide the setup fee?

AndreasK
05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Koit,

never thought of it that way. You have a point, but I think that this is not intended by the judges. Would be nice for total cost though.

prokyz
05-31-2013, 04:52 PM
I think it is intended. Since the Cost Report is for production of 1000 cars, you can assume that you can "eat" whole steel rod to produce as many inserts as it is possible on self feeding CNC lathe. Then the price for material setup into machine will distribute among all those individual parts that will be made from the one rod.

This makes sense to me, according to the S1-4.10 rule.

Koit
06-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Yes I agree, it makes perfect sense. But it is not stated so clearly in the rules. We submitted a question earlier last week, still waiting for an answer.

It comes a bit hazy in a point when it is theoretically possible to produce hundreds of parts of nearly every smaller detail with one setup on a self feeding lathe. Then another question is, how big is the maximum size of a stock piece? Can we say that we have a 6 meter long stock?

prokyz
06-01-2013, 10:11 AM
As I understand rules, you only need to fit calculations right. So if you assume 6m stock it should be fine from the point of calculations. Clearly some common sense should be applied together with having in mind availability of stock that big and machines able to handle such stock.

The other thing is that CR should reflect the actual process how the car was really manufactured...

alexandraj
06-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Hey guys are custom ordered damper costs us around $100 each while the materials table does not have this as standard part and the rule states that we would have to put a minimum of $300 onto our cost report for the dampers if it not there in the materials table.
We tried getting the design sheets and manufacturing from the shop but he isn't giving that and asking money for the same information. Wouldn't the bill be enough to support our price or do i need to put up the cost as $300?