PDA

View Full Version : ECU Emulators???

J.R.
05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Has anyone come across a good software to emulate an engine? I am trying to learn how to use our Megasquirt ECU and I heard that there is software that I can use to "tune" an engine, and it will tell me if I am doing it correctly. Anyone know of a good "Free" program?

Thanks!

Chris Lane
05-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I've never heard of one.

There is a Megasquirt accessory you can buy called a MegaStimulator. It is another pcb that simulates an engine; injector lights and all.

Chances are you have one lying around, as it is recommended you get one when you build your MS to test it.

BrendonD
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, Chris is correct. The Stim can tell you whether your MS board is functional or not. The software to tune the ECU is called Megatune and is completely open source.

J.R.
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I have megatune, I was hoping to find a software that allowed for a simulated engine, one that I could adjust the VE table, and spark advance, given simulated sensor input, in order to learn the process before attempting to tune a real engine, since it costs less to break computer simulations. I just figured that there would be some type of simulator. Thanks guys!

Chris Lane
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by J.R.:
I have megatune, I was hoping to find a software that allowed for a simulated engine, one that I could adjust the VE table, and spark advance, given simulated sensor input, in order to learn the process before attempting to tune a real engine, since it costs less to break computer simulations. I just figured that there would be some type of simulator. Thanks guys!

This is what the MegaStim is for. To do engine simulations on a PC I would suspect you'd need a pretty high bandwidth interface with the ECU; something like a CAN connection or Parallel port.