PDA

View Full Version : Design Report Drawings

Nishant Jain
06-23-2008, 05:28 AM
We're supposed to submit 3 pages of drawings with the design report. These are the 3 views of the car. I've read some threads about this topic too.

My question is: What is the level of detail I need to give to my drawings? Having seen a few reports too, I remain unsure about what is exactly a suitable drawing of the car? Do judges require the outer body necessarily, or can we skip that if we provide a good enough illustration of the chassis + components?

ben
06-23-2008, 05:41 AM
It is generally expected that the whole car is modelled in a 3D CAD system and the three drawings are simply a side, front and top view of the full car assembly model.

I would do whatever you can to ensure that these drawings show the mechanical systems on the car.

I have the feeling from the way you've worked the question that you don't have a 3D CAD model of your car?

Ben

Nishant Jain
06-23-2008, 05:52 AM
well, not the full car. its a first year car, and the entire construction process isnt complete. we dont want to commit with a final design view of it.

but i suppose we can show about 90% of it. is it okay to have it without outer body?

ben
06-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Nishant Jain:
well, not the full car. its a first year car, and the entire construction process isnt complete. we dont want to commit with a final design view of it.

but i suppose we can show about 90% of it. is it okay to have it without outer body?

Whatever you can do will be fine. It's just you're likely to score better the more complete the model and drawings are.

Remember the design submission is about conveying to the judges what you've designed. Anything you don't include detracts from that.

Ben

PatClarke
06-30-2008, 04:02 AM
Nishant, I have to support what Ben has said.

As Chief Design Judge at two FS/FSAE competitions I have to read all the Design reports. After a half dozen or so I start to look at the pictures first to get a idea where the team are going. The pictures had better be good. i HATE lo resolution screen dumps from a solid modeling program. Take a little time and do the illustrations well.

It is important that we see the internal workings, suspension, steering, pedals etc. This is best shown without the body.

The rules require a plan view and front and side elevations, but I would strongly suggest a good XRay ISOmetric view.

Remember, your Design Report is a brief from one group of engineers (the team) to another group of engineers (the judges). it is NOT a marketing document.

Good luck in your competition.

Regards
Pat

Nishant Jain
06-30-2008, 04:11 AM
I guess that makes sense. We're putting in the three required views of course. I'll couple that with an isometric projection in the optional page.

DanGrey
10-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Anybody home? hello mister PatClarke.. Im totally lost with one of our course.. We are to submit not three but 5 copies drawings with the design report.. I read your reply above.. but here's my question, what software for better renderings of drawings? thanks!

better to ask than be quite and be stupid right?
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tom W
10-24-2010, 12:29 AM
"better to ask than be quite and be stupid right?"

Reminds of somebody once saying:

Should I sit here silently with everybody thinking I'm an idiot or should I open my mouth and remove all doubt

PatClarke
10-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Dear mister DanGrey,
Firstly, it is customary to identify your college or team.

Secondly, the rules require 'drawings' not renderings. These things are usually printed on a black and white printer and all the colours and shades of grey (DanGrey?) fade into a blur.

And last time I looked, the rules still required three view drawings with a page of free illustrations.

There have been several threads on this subject, both here and in other places (FSG etc). The search tabs are there to be used. Many of the topics are already covered.

Pat

Mazur
12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Should of just posted this link Pat http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http:// w w w .formulastudent.de /public-relations /fsg-news /news-details /article /pats-corner-design-reports/

Mazur
12-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Should of just posted this Pat http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

w w w .formulastudent.de /public-relations /fsg-news /news-details /article /pats-corner-design-reports/

Mehul Botadra
12-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Its like a wireframe model! So whatever software you use, the wireframe will remain constant!