PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Formula SAE Registration for USA Events

saegirl
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
In case you have not read the recent CDS newsletters on SAE website, it has been announced as it was announced at every event, slots will be reserved for the top finishing teams of the official competitions of the 2006 Formula SAE Series as follows:
 Formula SAE (Michigan) – Top 10 teams
 Formula SAE West – Top 5 teams
 Formula SAE Australasia – Top 2 teams
 Formula SAE Brazil – Top team
 Formula SAE Italy – Top 2 teams
 Formula Student – Top 5 teams

Teams that earned a reserved slot will have the option of registering early for either the 2007 Formula SAE (Michigan) or 2007 Formula SAE West (California) events at the team's choice. Any reserved slots that are not taken by the winning teams will be offered as part of the open registration. Kaley Shellhammer, Formula SAE Program Coordinator will be contacting teams one week before registration opens. If you need to contact her, you can reach her anytime at shellham@sae.org. If you want to submit a contact person for registration, please email her the name and phone number.

Registration for all teams will follow the 2006 model in that teams will only be allowed to register for one event for the first month, after the conclusion of the first month if any slots are still open they will be free game to everyone.

REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 2, 2006 at 10:00 am EDT
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!!

saegirl
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
In case you have not read the recent CDS newsletters on SAE website, it has been announced as it was announced at every event, slots will be reserved for the top finishing teams of the official competitions of the 2006 Formula SAE Series as follows:
 Formula SAE (Michigan) – Top 10 teams
 Formula SAE West – Top 5 teams
 Formula SAE Australasia – Top 2 teams
 Formula SAE Brazil – Top team
 Formula SAE Italy – Top 2 teams
 Formula Student – Top 5 teams

Teams that earned a reserved slot will have the option of registering early for either the 2007 Formula SAE (Michigan) or 2007 Formula SAE West (California) events at the team's choice. Any reserved slots that are not taken by the winning teams will be offered as part of the open registration. Kaley Shellhammer, Formula SAE Program Coordinator will be contacting teams one week before registration opens. If you need to contact her, you can reach her anytime at shellham@sae.org. If you want to submit a contact person for registration, please email her the name and phone number.

Registration for all teams will follow the 2006 model in that teams will only be allowed to register for one event for the first month, after the conclusion of the first month if any slots are still open they will be free game to everyone.

REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 2, 2006 at 10:00 am EDT
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!!

kwancho
10-02-2006, 07:06 AM
We're registed as team 13 at West. Stoked!

Ben Beacock
10-02-2006, 07:37 AM
East sold out in 20 minutes.

Biggy72
10-02-2006, 07:44 AM
We couldn't get the thing to show the register tab for quite some time, and then the pages wouldn't reload. I think one of the guys about had a heart attack (combination of being old and freaking out), but we got in at 31 after trying to get on for about 15-20 minutes for west.

JerryLH3
10-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Yeah, it was extremely quick. We're hoping to be able to register for West after the one month wait. We'll see how it goes.

saegirl
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Registration for Michigan actually closed in a record of 19 minutes.

For the many teams who did not make registration, FSAE West is still open and has the cap limit of 80 cars.

And, YES, after one month so meaning November 2, 2006, registration for the FSAE West event (if spots are still available) will open to all teams.

Colin Quinn
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Wow that was stressful. It took forever for the registration screen to come up. Barely got in at 103. Can't imagine what my team would have done to me if we didn't get registered....

Erick Scarpone
10-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I love Registration Stress jajaja UCV with the 89 after 13 minutes trying!

This time our car will arrive! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

5 Venezuelan Teams this year nice!

Good luck to all going to competition!!!

And congratulation to the UNEXPO there first time at competition!

Parker
10-02-2006, 09:04 AM
holy cow, our guy almost died also. We were at 119 of 130! I cannot imagine the stress for the team that got the last slot!

DustinJones
10-02-2006, 09:19 AM
University of Evansville, registered #129 baby......just about had a heart attack.....

Dustin Jones
Powertrain

Jersey Tom
10-02-2006, 10:03 AM
'This year, 99 is the new number 1'

Nah just playin. TU Graz is prob gonna kick serious ass. Wow.

aflegel
10-02-2006, 10:19 AM
We had the same problem as WSU did. The register button would not show up and we had people trying to figure out what is going on and people counting down how many registered. At 10:14pm we finally got the register button to pop up and it was good for spot 101. What a stressful morning http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Big Poppa
10-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Who did not get in??? I see Texas A&M is going to west not east?!

AK UT
10-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Doesn't look like OSU got in, that's got to suck, they are signed up for West though.

edit: Also, I wonder why OSU's registration name isn't "THE Ohio State University" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kwancho
10-04-2006, 05:13 PM
A&M was prereged for West.

AK UT
10-05-2006, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alex Kwan:
A&M was prereged for West. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I understand they had the option of transfering their prereg spot to east if they wanted to. you can see that other teams that finished in the top 5 at west are registered for east first. But if I was A&M i would probably want to go west before east, defending champs and they also get to paint a #1 on their car.

ach1
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I like the idea of keeping the top numbering spots for the top teams, but why do they get to register early? New year, new members, new car - should be a fair game for all. Registration spots are hard to come by and the car number should be enough of a reward isn't it?

flavorPacket
10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> like the idea of keeping the top numbering spots for the top teams, but why do they get to register early? New year, new members, new car - should be a fair game for all. Registration spots are hard to come by and the car number should be enough of a reward isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it ensures that some quality cars get in each year, no?

olsen5
10-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I do not feel that SAE does this to ensure that quality cars come to competition each year. As we all know it only takes one small failure to completely ruin your whole competition, and these failures can happen to anyone.(for example, Cornell had a rough competition this year in michigan)

I also feel that the competition has been getting tighter at the top with more and more teams showing up with a car that can finish with respectable times in each event. Just wait until some of the German and Austrian teams start coming over, you wouldn't believe the cars that rookie and other young teams showed up with this year at hockenheim, it was amazing. It may surprise you but the TUG car this year is only their third car.

Perhaps SAE is allowing these teams to register early just to reward them for doing such a good job in the prior year. I may be wrong though.

Steve Yao
10-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Registration is first come, first serve. You are assigned a number based on when you click that registration button.

Top finishers get a reserved number as recognition of their hard work. Teams with reserved numbers get early registration so that if one of them should decided not to attend the competition, their number is free for use in general registration. I'll acknowledge that SAE could simply permanently reserve the number whether the finishing team decides to show to the competition or not. i.e. If Texas A&M decided not to go to FSAE West, there would be no Car #1 at FSAE West.

Anyway, after some phone tag, the University of Washington is registered for Formula SAE West as car #4....my regards to UMR for the trophy, btw.

BHARDWAJ
10-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Registration for the FSAE West event is open. The cap limit is 80 cars. On November 2, 2006, if spots are still available they will be open to all teams for registration.
what is the exact meaning of this statement..any restriction for 1st year team??

JHarshbarger
10-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Basically, you can register for either of the two US FSAE competitions, either FSAE (Detroit) or FSAE West. After Nov 2, if spots are still available, you can register for a 2nd US event. So, come Nov 2, if there are still spots available for the West event and you are already registered for the event in Detroit, you can also register for West.

ach1
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SEY:
Registration is first come, first serve. You are assigned a number based on when you click that registration button.

Top finishers get a reserved number as recognition of their hard work. Teams with reserved numbers get early registration so that if one of them should decided not to attend the competition, their number is free for use in general registration. I'll acknowledge that SAE could simply permanently reserve the number whether the finishing team decides to show to the competition or not. i.e. If Texas A&M decided not to go to FSAE West, there would be no Car #1 at FSAE West.

Anyway, after some phone tag, the University of Washington is registered for Formula SAE West as car #4....my regards to UMR for the trophy, btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh no, that is not how it works at all. The top 10 numbers are reserved based on last years finish, and those teams can register early to get them. Those numbers aren't released to the masses at open registration. The other 15 spots are reserved for the other competitions, and those numbers would be released but who cars who is car number 11-25, 1-10 is the ticket. More importantly though is that 25 spots could be preregistered out of 130, thus making it more difficult for other teams to join. 19 minutes isn't a lot of time for registration to fill, and since there is no other way to do it, first come first served should be the rule. The number is theirs if they can fight like everybody else to register. Just my thoughts...

Dan G
11-06-2006, 11:07 AM
So who were the thirteen lucky teams that filled out the West roster this morning? I'm too lazy to compare the entry lists.

Kyle Walther
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
we made it!! i can't wait till cali. this time i think we'll bring some sand and a palm tree to go with the pool. =]

JerryLH3
11-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Ugh. I was ready to sign up on November 2nd for West. Then I realized the date had changed to today. And I didn't remember registration had reopened until the team leader asked me this afternoon if I signed up for West. D'oh!

ach1
11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
We didn't make it. It filled up within 15 seconds. I couldn't enter my CC info fast enough.

formula_wally
11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I had everything pre-filled, and it was full in 10 seconds for me.

Mike Cook
11-07-2006, 06:55 AM
I was actually suprised that more big name schools didn't sign up for west this year...

Either way it is going to be a great event.

Dan G
11-07-2006, 07:06 AM
There's a better solution to the registration process, but I haven't thought of it yet. When it comes down to it, not having enough entry spots is a good problem to have, especially when there's still room for plenty of new teams. I suspect the west event will have even better volunteer support this year, and they'll be able to open it up to more entrants next year. The venue could CERTAINLY support the extra teams.

Neil S
11-08-2006, 09:57 PM
We made it, I think KU made it too.

Kyle, I'm not making the mistake of not going again this year, we're going to have some fun out there.

Kyle Walther
11-09-2006, 11:57 AM
we should all come up early or stay late. I didn't last year and now i really want to try my hand at surfing.

Mike Cook
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I think we should have throw some big parties before comp or after. I assume most people are flying out there and I'm planning on spending a few extra days out there.

Jersey Tom
11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
New registration: Who's gettin drunk at Big Buck?

I'm in big time.

JerryLH3
11-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Oh, we'll definitely be at Big Buck.

Charlie
11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry, Big Buck registration opened Nov 1st and was full in a record 19 minutes.

BryanH
11-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Just did the Virtual Tour, what kind of Engineer with 1118 posts lives in Manhattan Beach? Have you built a suntan oil spraybooth?
Are you designing a roadster carwash?
WTF are you doing there

RiNaZ
11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
yeah charlie, i dont think you ever talked about what you do at Honda? im sure everybody would love to know what it's like to get a real racing job.

I think someone should get a new thread for alumni to write about their experience in the 'real world'

B Hise
11-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Looks like HPD to me.

Are you doing IRL or Acura LMP?