PDA

View Full Version : independent axle

Ebigner
10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Me and my solar car team, at my school, are trying to install an independent axle, switching from a live axle (for the rear). The thing is. . . We don't know how. We're making the switch because we want our car (a real car) to be lighter than it originally was, and to make it better all together. We are trying to find an easier and quicker way to install it. Could any of you help?

Owen Thomas
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Ebigner,

What school are you from? If you have a Formula or Baja program there I would suggest going to talk with them.

I am not sure why you posted this question in the "static events" thread, except for the likelihood that most solar cars should in fact remain static. Anyways, it sounds like you guys don't really know what having an independant axle entails, and you should understand the benefits and costs before making such a major design decision. Why would the independant axle be lighter? Why do you think it will be "better all together"? What do you mean by "independant axle"? Answering these questions yourself will be more helpful than someone from this forum explaining the best way to slap on a new drivetrain.

Ebigner
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I attend Baton Rouge Magnet High School, located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Out of area, I understand. I posted in static because it included design, which is where we are having the problems at. The live axle my team has had for the past few years was heavy and added to the total weight of the car, which slowed it down. An independent axle was suggested, saying that it would be lighter and more efficient. We are entering a race held in Texas going to California. So we are just trying to find the best way to make it lighter. We have already switched out other materials to make it lighter, but we are having issues with the rear axle and headlights and other functions. But the main thing is that rear axle.

Owen Thomas
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
You have not yet answered the questions I asked regarding design. A very smart man once suggested that it is a good idea to properly define your problem before looking at the solution, and it has generally proven true. You said the problem is weight, which is fair, but does that mean the live axle is also the problem? Find out what you can about both systems and compare them before jumping to a decision and asking for help.

If you want an offhanded opinion, mine is that a half-decently designed solid or "live" axle set up (with or without a swing arm) is lighter than independant suspension. Not always the best choice, but certainly less weight.