PDA

View Full Version : Sustainability report for FS

Johan Sahlström
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi!

I´m having some trouble finding how the report should be like,and I´m guessing that it should be as the eBOM for the cost report, but I can´t find it at the Formula Student website.

So my question is if anyone know were to find it at the website or someone might feel like sharing it?

JulianH
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
The problem is:

Nobody knows it.

We talked to a lot of teams. No idea.

We talked to Fiona, no idea.

We asked the Question Database. No valid reply.

I guess so far, nobody is really knowing what to expect from the teams.

Johan Sahlström
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, does anyone know if there is some values that should be used for the specific energy and embedded CO2?

Howy76
05-09-2012, 02:50 AM
The Sustainability Analysis Tables are listed at the bottom of the download team documents page,

http://www.formulastudent.com/teams/fs2012/Documents

Thrainer
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Wow, you just type in three numbers? That's like 0.01% of the work required for Sustainability Report the last two years.

Seems like you can sum it up like this: Lighter = better.

JulianH
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Dr Ash,
i'm not that sure about it!

If you read the 2012 FS Rules, appendix C1:

The 2012 Formula Student Class 1 Sustainability Report must include as appropriate
the list assemblies/parts outlined below which form the powertrain.
Air Filter
Carburettor
Coolant Lines
Engine
Engine Mounts
Engine/Diff Oil
Exhaust Manifold
Fuel Filter
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Lines/Rails
Fuel Pressure Reg.
Fuel Pump
Fuel Tank
Fuel Vent/Check Valve
Hose Clamps
Ignition Coil / Wires
Intake Manifold
Muffler
Oil Cooler
Overflow Bottles
Radiator
Radiator Fans
Restrictor
Shields
Sprocket/Pulleys
Throttle Body
Turbo/Super Charger
Mechanical Accumulator (Flywheel/hydraulic)
Energy Storage (Battery/Capacitor)
ECM/Engine Electronics/ AMS
Wire Harness/Connectors
Fuel Cell
Accumulator (Battery/Capacitor)
Accumulator Storage Container
Electric Motor(s)
Power Controller
HV Harness

In my humble opinion, that's absolutely different from the funny little Excel sheet with Motor weight and battery weight.

The question is, how to put all the other stuff... That's the problem everyone has.

Howy76
05-11-2012, 02:04 AM
There will be a notice from the IMechE shortly to clarify the requirements for the Sustainability part of the event.

In speaking with the cost & sustainability event captain I can summarise;

The sustainability pack recently published is correct and the assessment is only for the base engine by weight (block, head, gearbox internals etc, minus manifolds and any external pumps and electronics), or base electric motor by weight, to give a fair comparison.

At the time of publishing the rules the organisers hadn't finalised what data they would be assessing hence the list in the rules was created, however as a result of the simplified assessment method for sustainability, it is effectively redundant. That said, the list is applicable for the items being costed, though not exhaustive.

kind regards,

Howard

Richard Cost Captain
05-11-2012, 03:00 AM
Howard,
Thanks for your clarification.
I concur what Howard has mentioned.

We want to keep sustainability simple this year due to it now being assessed on all Class 1, and concentrate on accurate costing for all vehicles.

I do appreciate all the constructive feedback on the proposals we have made.

Myself and the deputy cost judge are endeavouring to reply to the questions on the FSQD as quick as possible.

Please bear with us, and contact IMechE if you need a prompt reply who will duly contact myself.

JulianH
05-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Thank Dr. Ash and Mr. Hale for your reply.

Please allow me this follow-up clarifications:

1. For the Sustainability Report, we "just" have to submit the motor weight (the battery weight). No extra sheets, no extra written pages to demonstrate our design and to justify our decisions?

2. In the Sustainability Event which will be held as part of Cost, will we answer such questions? Or will there be just a check if the given numbers are correct?
I recall that half of the Sus. points will be awarded for low CO2 or energy numbers and the second half with the Event. How will this event be judged?

Thank you very much!

Regards from Zurich,

Julian Hügl