PDA

View Full Version : Over/Undercharge Circuit Protectors

JohnChau
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on switching our teams Ni-Cd battery with a LiFePo battery. Every topic I've read about designing something like this says that I'll need to have a over/undercharge circuit built in. I have looked around to see what is available but I am a little lost as to what I am looking for.

Some additional information. I am looking into getting A123 AHR32113 cells and the voltage we are looking for is something around 12-13V. I am not sure what our current draw is right now due to poor documentation of last years car as well as changes to the electrical components of the car.

Cardriverx
10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Read the rules again, the A123 LiFe batteries are exempt from a lot of the additional battery rules.

TMichaels
10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
My former team is running a 4S2P setup with A123 cylinder cells since 2009 and has not experienced any problems. It was just a drop-in replacement for the lead-acid battery.

As mentioned by Cardriverx, you don't need supervisory circuits for LiFePO4-based cells.

Hannes
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by TMichaels:
My former team is running a 4S2P setup with A123 cylinder cells since 2009 and has not experienced any problems. It was just a drop-in replacement for the lead-acid battery.

As mentioned by Cardrivery, you don't need supervisory circuits for LiFePO4-based cells.

Can confirm that. We used the 26650M1, one of the very few electric components that are absolutely painless.