PDA

View Full Version : Dude, seriously.....

Tire Guy
10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Well folks, it looks like Charlie may have a serious contender for the fsae.com "Most Posts" award. Let's look at some numbers...

Charlie registered on 9/12/2002, or roughly 763 days ago. Observing his 987 posts, that works out to roughly 1.3 Posts Per Day (PPD).

Rob Woods registered on 9/9/2004, or about 33 days ago. Looking at his 111 posts, the math works out to be almost 3.4 PPD.

So if we assume that Rob is going to stick around as long as Charlie (or 763 days), that will put him well over 2,500 posts! Now, Auburn has managed several top 5 finishes in the past few years.....so Charlie, kudos to you and your team. Hopefully Rob will be able to put up, or shut up, as they say.

Tire Guy
10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Well folks, it looks like Charlie may have a serious contender for the fsae.com "Most Posts" award. Let's look at some numbers...

Charlie registered on 9/12/2002, or roughly 763 days ago. Observing his 987 posts, that works out to roughly 1.3 Posts Per Day (PPD).

Rob Woods registered on 9/9/2004, or about 33 days ago. Looking at his 111 posts, the math works out to be almost 3.4 PPD.

So if we assume that Rob is going to stick around as long as Charlie (or 763 days), that will put him well over 2,500 posts! Now, Auburn has managed several top 5 finishes in the past few years.....so Charlie, kudos to you and your team. Hopefully Rob will be able to put up, or shut up, as they say.

drivetrainUW-Platt
10-18-2004, 01:26 PM
we should compare time spend on forums and workin on the car to grade point averages, if sae was a class i would be getting an A++ http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

rjwoods77
10-18-2004, 04:12 PM
I will be the the big dog in the end. I never shut the f**k up. hahahhaa.

Charlie
10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Haha, very nice. I try to keep my posts worthwhile, but I do like to put my $.02 in. The last few months I've been trying to cut back. I don't really want to have over 1000 posts. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A lot of my posts are private messages too...

RiNaZ
10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Dude, serioussslyyyy ... comparing Rob Woods and Charlie is like comparing a Gossip Magazine with a Miliken RCVD book.

You got one guy with a whole lot of knowledge with experience to back it up and you got another with posting that'd just pissed people off and who barely made it to the competition. Im sorry Rob, but making up claims and fact doesnt necessarily make it more fun to the forum. Rob's posting might stir things a little but in the end, you hardly learn anything.

I learned so much just by reading Charlie's posts than a week of reading. And there are so many great posts outthere like Denny, Kevin, Tim Heinemen, James and etc that even if you're just talking about lug nuts, you'd be sure to learn something out of it.

so ... dude ... seriouslyyy ...

Ben Beacock
10-19-2004, 06:51 AM
There's a reason I posted this earlier:

http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=763607348&f=648600998&m=46610251711

and it might have something to do with this thread. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

DJHache
10-19-2004, 07:26 AM
I think people shouldn't be harsh on Rob. Granted some of his posts are, uuh, unenlightening, but he is like all the new people that show up in the garage and ask "how fast does it go?", "who gets to drive?", and my favorite, "y'all got Nos up in there?". Every once in a while a newbie will stumble on an intelligent question though "why is the steering rack held in three places?". Rob does have a lot of motivation and in time, when he wisens up and stops being a newbie, he might be as worthwhile as Charlie or James.

Tire Guy
10-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I think that it's time for a few people to relax a bit and go have a beer. I was just poking fun...no harm intended (that's what happens when you get bored at work). At least Mike, Rob, and Charlie saw a bit of humor in it!

And Charlie, about your near 1000 posts....just keep telling yourself that it's not an addiction, because you can stop anytime you like (although I don't know about Rob, I'm pretty sure he's on something). http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers to all...

RiNaZ
10-19-2004, 12:49 PM
DJ ... I agreed ...

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I usually post to compare my notes to other peoples notes. I dont come to this site for definitive answers. If my posts seem like they are asking "is it ok if i do this" to you, then you are an idiot.

Its not as if I dont know most of this stuff already. I have had private conversations with a very popular member of this message board. I think he thinks I am a little furthur along than you average formula guy. I have stuff to learn but that isnt new to anyone. He knows my cars build and I think he likes it somewhat. When I get it built we wil see how well it actually works. This is a situation that isnt new to anyone.

As far as being a newbie.... anyone who thinks that is seriously retarded. I have designed and built 3 baja cars, helped my buddy do his sprint car and a number of other vehicles. So I havent done a formula car. Well I am doing one now and it will be better designed than 75 percent of the cars out there. I cant believe the huge errors is design ideas and manufacturing ability in some of these cars. I think I get doled on for being a "baja guy who couldnt possible understand the complexities of a formula car". Anytime i mention the word baja the shit mail just rolls in. So a newbie I am not. Designing a formula car to hold up is easier than designing a baja car to hold up. If you think different, you are an idiot.

I have a huge sense of humor and I just call people of stupid shit and stupid comments. Sorry I am honest. I dont post too many things about "how and why to do this and that" because that is stuff you should take the time to read different sources, compare them and come to a conclusion. If you are taking the word of anyone on this board as gospel without researching the idea completely, you are an idiot.

So what is the difference between me and charlie? I am not nice and he is. We both know our shit, we both have a sense of humor(sometimes), and we both have a passion.

And finally, RiNaz, you are an idiot.

Wilso
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
I wanted to stay out of this one...but I just can't resist.
It's the insults that get me going, five in one post. Granted they are "hypothetical" insults (if...then you are an idiot) but it's all unneccessary. For one, by definition, if you haven't been on an FSAE team and built a car, I would say you are a newbie. A newbie to the FSAE world that is. So does that mean I am retarded?
As far as the baja vs. formula conversation, I think they are too different to compare. Formula has many more degrees of freedom (i.e. engine) and is subjected to higher speeds and g-forces. Baja is low-speed but high punishment and the rules strictly regulate the engine and chassis setup, mainly the roll cage.
"...it will be better designed than 75 percent of the cars out there." -Rob Woods
Damn that is one cocky statement. UT@Austin has competed every year since FSAE was started here in Austin by our advisor and I wouldn't dare post such a claim. I'm not saying Mr. Woods won't show us all the best way to build a racecar...too bad Carroll Smith isn't around to get a lesson.

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
hahaahahaahahhahaahahahhaha. My car will be nice. I am cocky though so... Its cool. What you do with those degrees is up to you but baja is just downright brutal. Frames dont really take the hits so much. The drivetrain loads are rediculous. You usually have to design about a load safety factor of 5 into it. The reverse loads of landing s at 20mph are just rediculous. Most peoples car get destroyed from have the suspension rip off. The hard thing about baja is getting the drivetrain and suspension to hold up in all sorts of landings/impacts. It takes alot more thought than most poeple realize. So where baja doesnt have the freedom to screw with stuff the drivetrain loadings from a 10 hp setup are more than a 600cc with 80 hp. They are more equal than you think.

Matt Gignac
10-19-2004, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob Woods:
I usually post to compare my notes to other peoples notes. I dont come to this site for definitive answers. If my posts seem like they are asking "is it ok if i do this" to you, then you are an idiot.

Its not as if I dont know most of this stuff already. I have had private conversations with a very popular member of this message board. I think he thinks I am a little furthur along than you average formula guy. I have stuff to learn but that isnt new to anyone. He knows my cars build and I think he likes it somewhat. When I get it built we wil see how well it actually works. This is a situation that isnt new to anyone.

As far as being a newbie.... anyone who thinks that is seriously retarded. I have designed and built 3 baja cars, helped my buddy do his sprint car and a number of other vehicles. So I havent done a formula car. Well I am doing one now and it will be better designed than 75 percent of the cars out there. I cant believe the huge errors is design ideas and manufacturing ability in some of these cars. I think I get doled on for being a "baja guy who couldnt possible understand the complexities of a formula car". Anytime i mention the word baja the shit mail just rolls in. So a newbie I am not. Designing a formula car to hold up is easier than designing a baja car to hold up. If you think different, you are an idiot.

I have a huge sense of humor and I just call people of stupid shit and stupid comments. Sorry I am honest. I dont post too many things about "how and why to do this and that" because that is stuff you should take the time to read different sources, compare them and come to a conclusion. If you are taking the word of anyone on this board as gospel without researching the idea completely, you are an idiot.

So what is the difference between me and charlie? I am not nice and he is. We both know our shit, we both have a sense of humor(sometimes), and we both have a passion.

And finally, RiNaz, you are an idiot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me be the first retarded idiot to reply to this one. I don't think anyone ever said that your design was shit or that your design approach was shit, but you seem pretty content to do so. By all means, post to compare notes with others, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a follow-up post saying "looked into it, turns out my design is better than 75% of yours" is necessary.

I think the main reproach most people have to your posts is that you're quite quick to put down other ideas and that you interpret people's questions on your design as criticism.

So I'm not saying you should stop posting, but dude, the name-calling and insulting others ideas and designs has got to go.

All I got to say on the subject

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Except for the one time that i lashed out at aachen i havnt started shit with anyone. Look, if you talk to me like I am some uninformed guy, I will talk to you the same way.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/452/HOLD_DAT.gif

chinesefonz
10-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Seriously Everybody,

Here's the deal, I've been sitting back watching my fellow compadre cause some chaos on the board here and there. But one thing I am a firm believer in is that the people that shake stuff up are the people that get shit done.

I first met Rob when he came into my shop. In the time I've been on the team, which is going on 3 years now, no one has really stood up to make decisions. We kind of skated along just doing kind of what everyone else what doing. As the captain this year I had to step up. I have a limited knowledge of all the different pieces that make a good formula car. ( I'm an Electrical Engineer who does this as a hobby what do you want from me? ) I knew what we had at the begining of this year, and I knew what we wanted to have. Rob came into my shop, much like he came onto this forum. With ALOT to say, and didn't stop for one second until you knew EXACTLY where he was comming from and where he wanted to go.

At first I acted alot like all of you guys did. "Yea whatever, this baja tool, with his ideas of monoshocks and 300lb cars, those never work." But eventually, after enough talking, and relizing that this kid really did know a thing or two, I got to thinking. I started thinking differently. He got me to think criticly ( i can't spell ).

I made a decision, I thought he had something to add, I gave him a chance. Now, we are way ahead of schedule, this kid works on formula shit probably 50hours a week. I leave his house when I start getting tired and wake up with IM's all over my computer screen about everything he has done and how he hasn't slept. He has an amazing mechanical knowledge and an extreme passion for just knowing shit. He could probably tell you off the top of his head the standard equivalent to every metric measurement down to the .0001 of an inch. It's just little crap like that. He might not be able to give you FEA analysis off the top of his head, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me if one day he did.

The most notable thing about Rob ... ( believe it or not ) is his people skills. Outside the computer this kid could sell snow to an eskimo. Has an uncanny ability to make someone feel completely at ease, and that they've been friends for a long time. Already we are making connections all over the country and have sponsors doing jumping jacks and slicing up cantelope for us. The only thing he ever did that pissed me off is when he brought a hooker into the shop, and she stole our push button shifter. And that time I walked out of the shop and he was peeing on my car, oh and that time he kicked my dog... ( he said it was an accident. ) ... and that time... well anyways...

Bottom line, he's a good guy, smart, a hard worker, knows his shit, and if he doesn't... he'll find out. It's not the guy who has the answers, it's the guy who knows how to get them. Rob is that guy.

Im not telling you to cut him any slack though. And Im not saying I agree with some of his tactics on the board tho. Im trying to coach him on turn based internet conversation... its very new to him. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Soon he will be a internet pimp like me, and he will get madddd cyber action from the 35 year old men who pose as 13 year old girls on AOL. Come on don't act like you haven't spent some hard time in the hand slammer in AOL chat rooms. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I just felt like giving a little bit of insight on the man behind the computer. We just like having fun in Buffalo, we do this because it's fun. So let's have fun together. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

P.S. about the hooker.... true story. He said she was drunk so I forgave him. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

RiNaZ
10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For once, i have to agree with you Rob. I am an idiot. I have to repeat all the courses that i take here at least twice (except for my math courses). And i have been on the probation at least once every year. So i think that qualifies me as being an idiot (or "slow learner" as i would like to say it).

I guess we both can prove our worth at the competition next year. We might be there for the FStud. next year but i most certainly will be in Rochester, NY for the East Mini-Baja next year (God willing).

So ... enough talk ... let's show what we both got at the competition next year, be it in Leicester or NY.

rjwoods77
10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
What team are you from Baja wise? South florida? If you are going to the east then i can help get you a decent hotel close to the action. If RIT does it directly in Henrietta then there are places that wil rip you off and some super affordable just outside of henrietta. I also know where all the parts suppliers are so i can get you close to all the stores you need to go to when shit breaks. I'll be there for the east to watch. If you guys need a hand with anything I would be glad to help out.

Tire Guy
10-20-2004, 05:25 AM
chinesefonz,
I agree that you definately need people like Rob to shake things up a bit. I only wish I had more of them on my team.

Rob,
Check your PM's.....

RiNaZ
10-20-2004, 11:53 PM
thanks for the offer Rob. Im from central florida ... daytona beach, FL. I'll let you know if we need any help.

Our team advisor is an alumni of U of Colorado who has a decade of experience in FSAE and Mini-Baja ... so ... i think we're pretty okay in terms of suppliers and all.

But thanks anyways.

rjwoods77
10-21-2004, 07:19 PM
cool. i'm here.

EgyptianMagician
10-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Great ...

You need people to stir things up and get things done, but quit calling people 'idiots' and posting stupid links to animated gifs of the likes that you would see done by a bunch of highschool students.

Just cool it with the insults, it's a techinical forum, if you don't like what someone says, so what, at the end of the day there at 10 000 ways of accomplishing the same task, all just as good/ that much better than the rest, but ONE person is only going to see a few of these ideas at a time. Like wise goes for someone 'shooting you down' ... you don't need to "step up", the rest of the people on the forum are (hopefully) educated enough to see that someone is being a dick, don't be a dick back.

Great that you have a doer and thinker, just quit mouthing off.

Toughguy
11-03-2004, 02:57 PM
"The more engineering classes I take, the more of my heart for engineering I lose. I just wanna f***ing build stuff"

"The more Rob Woods posts, the more I want him to shut the F*** up!"

Jack Shaft
11-03-2004, 08:00 PM
OK, I'm Jack Shaft, my only purpose on this forum is to poke fun at everyone. I'm going to start with Tommy Tough Guy here. You have to be the most original person I have ever seen. You took the words from like three post away to make fun of someone. Weak. Tire Guy leave Ping alone, he is my boy! That goes for everyone.