PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a Florida Shootout?

JerryLH3
10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
With five teams registered for Formula SAE from the state of Florida, I think it'd be a great idea to have a friendly competition between us. It could be before or after the Detroit competition, depending on when everyone thinks their car will be ready. I've already got a few ideas for locations that are fairly central, except to FAU, sorry guys.

Actually, make that six teams, there's another registered for West.

I'm not sure how many of the Florida teams frequent this board, so if I don't get too much response, I'll contact everyone directly.

JerryLH3
10-07-2005, 06:01 PM
With five teams registered for Formula SAE from the state of Florida, I think it'd be a great idea to have a friendly competition between us. It could be before or after the Detroit competition, depending on when everyone thinks their car will be ready. I've already got a few ideas for locations that are fairly central, except to FAU, sorry guys.

Actually, make that six teams, there's another registered for West.

I'm not sure how many of the Florida teams frequent this board, so if I don't get too much response, I'll contact everyone directly.

Draksia
10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I am sure we, UCF, would be interested. There is an excellent location in Gainsville.

http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/apcm/templates/tracki...cleid=1912&zoneid=69 (http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/apcm/templates/trackinfo.asp?articleid=1912&zoneid=69)

I am not sure what it cost but it is a really nice course I have done several autocross there.

JerryLH3
10-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Yup, Gainesville was one of my choices. There's also Ocala Grand Prix. They are able to rent the track out as well. They host lots of kart racing and GRM does a lot of testing there as well.

RiNaZ
10-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach here. Im not sure how far we're gonna be at in terms of getting the car done by that time, but i'd definitely let my team know about it and hopefully they'll be interested to join.

RiNaZ
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Daytona Beach, FL

Philip Watson
10-08-2005, 12:10 PM
hey all, UF is down w/ a Florida GP
as far as location is concerned there are a few places around here that might be better than Gainesville Raceway and Ocala Grand Prix. The OGP is under new ownership now and the guy is all about making money, we used to be able to go there on off days and race for free back in the day. We might be able to rent that place for free or really cheaply if we put together a good proposal and make it worth his time. Gainesville Raceway will be rather expensive...they have all this insurance bs you gotta worry about and i cant remember exactly how much it is but its somewhere in the thousands per day.
About an hour from here up in the westside of jacksonville there is a completely free go cart track that we have been to. Its a city park, and if we talk to the city we might be able to reserve it on a weekday morning or something like that, its pretty cool has banked turns and all, but there is no runoff and it is a lot faster than any track we will see at competition. (you can easily hit 100 mph on the straight).
Another option is in ocala at Central Florida Community College there is a skidpad where they teach ppl to drive big rigs...its a concrete surface thats grippy as hell. Since its owned by the community college so they might be down with letting us use it for a day, if we had more faculty support around here we would probably be using it already but we cant get any of the faculty to make some phone calls for us, maybe you guys could. Its not the biggest surface but should be big enough. There is also a skidpad here in gainesville at the airport where they teach busdrivers and firemen, this is what we usually use for testing. It got torn up last year because they stored all the hurricane debris there and the machinery fucked it, but its supposed to get repaved. However being that its a government project, the repaving is probably behind schedule and underfunded so i dont know what the status is on that. i can check on that next week. If it does get resurfaced i dont think we could find a better place anywhere....its back in the woods where no one will bother us, its huge, and it will be brand new, o yea and its free...all we did to use it was sign a paper very similar to the one we sign for competition that says we wont sue them. Even if it doesnt get resurfaced its still useable...there are just some potholes we have to go around and its not the grippiest surface.

JerryLH3
10-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I like the response so far. After the Detroit competition may be the best time to have it. We all plan to have things ready with plenty of time to test, but things happen. I think having it after would give us the best shot of getting as many teams there as possible.

And I just knew UF would have some spots scoped out. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif There's supposed to be a track near Palmetto that we may be able to get testing time at, but I haven't seen it yet.

There's plenty of time to plan, I just wanted to see everyone's initial reactions.

RiNaZ
10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
If all the floridian teams finish their car after spring break, we might be able to do a pre-shootout ... maybe, just throwing ideas around.

If we couldnt find a place ... maybe we can do what Dr. Woods has been doing with the Texas AutoX w/end. Do it in a parking lot.

Philip Watson
10-08-2005, 03:23 PM
i think it would be best to do it before competition so that all of our drivers can get experience in a competition type situation.. any time in spring is good for us, we plan on having the car built before spring semester starts. in the past we have practiced with msu during spring break and it usually works out pretty well.

RiNaZ
10-10-2005, 10:25 AM
I guess we wouldnt know till spring comes around. I worked on the car before but never seemed to get it done on time. I have a good feeling on next year's car, hopefully my school can get it done in time for the florida shootout.

If not ... we have 2 complete baja car we can bring to race http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JerryLH3
10-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I had said later may be better, but it would be nice to have it before the competition. We should be ready (knock on wood). It's just a matter of finding a date for everyone that works.

We could probably narrow down our locations and format this fall and set a date early next year once everyone has an idea of when they would be ready.

Fritze
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
FAU would definetely be down racing against the Florida schools. This will be our first year competing. We still have a lot of work to do, but we are moving along pretty good.

-Fritze Van-Zwol

MikeBlommel
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I think all of us at UCF would be interested. I think we could learn a lot from each other... maybe make the "Florida" contingent at competition that much stronger.

RiNaZ
10-15-2005, 02:03 PM
hey mike,
are you a new team for UCF? I met some of the UCF people around 99-01. Just wondering if some of them came back. Cant remember any of their names though.

JesseN
10-16-2005, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Philip Watson:
hey all, UF is down w/ a Florida GP
as far as location is concerned there are a few places around here that might be better than Gainesville Raceway and Ocala Grand Prix. The OGP is under new ownership now and the guy is all about making money, we used to be able to go there on off days and race for free back in the day. We might be able to rent that place for free or really cheaply if we put together a good proposal and make it worth his time. Gainesville Raceway will be rather expensive...they have all this insurance bs you gotta worry about and i cant remember exactly how much it is but its somewhere in the thousands per day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not bring all the FSAE cars to a regular SCCA event held in Gainesville? FSAE has it's own class, and we usually get in at minimum, 4 runs. Wouldn't be a great testing thing, but it'd be a chance to actually compete.

And I think you could work out a deal to do more than the usual 2 drivers per car if you talk to the event staff really nicely. *wink wink*

-Jesse
-usual CFR SCCA Gainesville Event Chairman
-UF ME student

MikeBlommel
10-22-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hey mike,
are you a new team for UCF? I met some of the UCF people around 99-01. Just wondering if some of them came back. Cant remember any of their names though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey there,

I started with the team in January of last year. I'm just getting started back to school for engineering. I mostly do fab work on the cars since I know how to weld and machine stuff. About half of our team from last year graduated, so we have some new folks in this year.

Hopefully we can all meet up and get put some names with faces at the shootout.

fsae racer
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
What's the status for a Florida shootout with the rest of the schools? I can't speak for the UF team anymore, but I know they've got a running car. I don't think they would pass up on a chance to run with other schools before comp. We've got a really nice facility now that MSU will be taking advantage of next week during their SB, and I think it might be possible to get a few more cars out there (but don't quote me on then yet). Anyway, just wanted to see if the rest of you guys thought you might be able to do something before comp.

JerryLH3
02-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Sometimes the best layed plans go awry...

I'm certainly still in favor of the idea, I just am not too sure on when we would be ready.

RiNaZ
02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
We might get the car running by spring break (ours start on the 18th) but dont think it's going to be completed before april. We're thinking about doing something like what wollongong did for their body on their first time entry, so that would save us a lot of time on bodywork, but it still wont be ready before april.

How are you guys comin along?

fsae racer
04-27-2006, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RiNaZ in 2005 SVSU GP Competitors:
I didnt realize this is an old thread till i clicked on the video link that denny put up. Doesnt seem to work anymore. Do you have it host somewhere else denny or you just took it all down?

btw, i think UF's car is the nicest looking car next to ETS!!! I should come over to UF sometimes to see their 2006 car. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why haven't u made it out to G-ville yet man? The hot college girls, and the SO fast UF formula car scaring you away?

RiNaZ
04-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I actually made a stop to UF a week ago on my way back from Auburn U. But it was really late at night, so didnt get a chance to look around for your shop.

I wish we have time to go visit but the car is giving us such a hard time. It's virtually done, but the tuning doesnt seem to wanna work with us. A whole week of tuning and it still run like a turtle.

oh well, i guess i just have to see your car at the competition then http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

JerryLH3
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
OK, we know all the cars are done. Now, it's time to have some fun, which involves some summer testing. So, who's up for it?

This event got put off since finishing the car had to take precedent, but I'm definitely interested in having a Florida shootout. It's a great chance for us all to get together and put some more miles on the cars in a competitive, yet still loose environment.

As far as locations, there's the ones that have been mentioned previously in this thread, and there's also a track down in Palmetto that we have apparently been given the OK to use. Palmetto is about 45 minutes south of Tampa.

alltrac27
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
UF will be interested in a little friendly competition. If someone actually goes and organizes the event Im sure teams will participate.

Keep us posted on that Palmetto site...

Jreyenga
06-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Just because I like being a jack-ass. You could all agree to go to a central florida region autocross. There you have a whole crew of people organizing the event for you. Try www.cfrsolo2.com (http://www.cfrsolo2.com). They even do it in gainesville. Sadly I won't be there anymore to show you how it's done http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JerryLH3
06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
That's certainly an option, and we will be attending some autocrosses this summer. It's just we get a lot more run time if we have our own event. We also can use as many drivers as we like without causing confusion if we try to keep the scoring for each driver straight. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RiNaZ
06-15-2006, 03:46 AM
hey jerry,
let me know if you guys come up with anything. I have to do a lot of convincing if i wanna bring the car out. So, any solid planning on the event will help.

plus, our car is going to be chopped up soon to make way for formula hybrid next year. We wont have any formula car, just not enough money to have two formula cars i guess.

by the way marcus, i still think you guys have the best looking car next to Penn State. Reminds me of the early auburn U car, but with a nicer paint job. Do you guys have 3 different set of rims? It seems like you guys had gold, orange and grey rims everytime i looked.

im up for it jerry.

JesseN
06-16-2006, 08:13 PM
http://doublexchallenge.com/

10 runs minimum for $55 per driver... that's not terrible. Could get Georgia Tech in on it too.

I'll be there showing how it's done...but not in a FSAE car.

Jreyenga
06-28-2006, 09:28 AM
http://buccaneerregion.org/soloschedule.html

There is an autocross in Gainesville July 23rd.

Because I've tried, tried, and tried to get Florida (or any team)out to an autocross, I'm willing to make it interesting to entice you guys. I will drive down to Gainesville from my new job in South Carolina. Run my stock MR2 turbo, and put a $10 bet against any and/or all fsae drivers that they won't beat me by more than 0.5 seconds (given a 60 second course) in their formula cars.

I hope to have to pay a few of you guys, but it should be interesting. Gainesville would be a good formula course because of how narrow the track is, so I'll have to put together a really good effort to keep my money.

Let me know if you are going to do it ahead of time or not. If not, I'm gonna do some laps at Road Atlanta that weekend now that I live near it, and I've always wanted to.

SpeedAddictions
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
If push came to shove, we have a city-owned public kart track here in Jax. 1/8 mile long straightaway, 2 sweepers, and some other fast corners. I've hit 85 mph on the back straight in my shifter kart, it's a fun track. The Nationals are hosted there each December, with karters coming all the way from Canada, it's a quality track with lots of pit space.

Jreyenga
07-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Looks like I may have to back out of my offer to try to give you guys my money. On the slim chance I have my racecar back together and running right by July 23rd, I can't pass up on some seat time at Road Atlanta.

Best of luck with the cars guys.

btw. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I really believe it would be very beneficial to any fsae team if you guys autocrossed. Perhaps not even in the formula car. If you do, I would really really recommend working with one of the fastest drivers there and seeing if he/she could teach you a thing or two. In fact, I'd say race in a two seater so you can get an instructor to ride with you and/or drive your car.

There are a lot of mediocre racers in autocross, but if you know where to look, there are a few extraordinarily talented individuals that could improve your ability to get a car around cones.

JerryLH3
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
OK, it's on.

Next Saturday (July 29th) at the track in Palmetto we are testing. Who else wants to come?

We still need to work out some final details, and I know this is somewhat short notice, but I thought I'd get the word out.

JHarshbarger
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Change of plans. We are going to be at Primus Racing on Saturday, August 5th. Primus Racing is about half an hour south of Tampa. You can either look up directions or just PM me and I'll give you some. Let us know ahead of time if your teams can make it so we can OK it with the guys there.

-Joel
USF SAE

RiNaZ
05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
there were 5 teams from florida that participated in the recent competition, im sure we can organized some type of event. How bout' it?

ESaenz
05-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm sure the guys would be more then happy to compete the car again.