PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Tube Laser Cutting

RobbyObby
01-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I am trying to determine how to properly cost the process of laser cutting tubes for the chassis. The "Processes" cost table shows a unit cost for laser cutting and a unit cost for cutting tube ends. Does anyone know which cost I need to use? I have a feeling the "Laser Cut" cost is supposed to be for flat sheet metal, but is it also used for cutting round tubing as well?
Thanks.

RobbyObby
01-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I am trying to determine how to properly cost the process of laser cutting tubes for the chassis. The "Processes" cost table shows a unit cost for laser cutting and a unit cost for cutting tube ends. Does anyone know which cost I need to use? I have a feeling the "Laser Cut" cost is supposed to be for flat sheet metal, but is it also used for cutting round tubing as well?
Thanks.

Dash
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd probably pick the tube ends one and call it a day. If you try to do laser cutting i'm sure its unit is inches, which would be a pain to try to add up accurately for all the notched chassis tubes.

RobbyObby
02-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Just thought I'd post an update.
Via clarification from the Rules Committee, the "Tube cut" process is used when determining the cost of straight cutting the tube, then the "Tube end prep for welding" process is used for all steps thereafter to prepare the tube ends (including notching, independent of the actual tool used for notching, whether it be hole saw, grinder, or laser cut).