PDA

View Full Version : The newest Winged FSAE Car... from the Land of Oz

Monash University
10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi guys,

Thought you might like some details on the newest winged FSAE car to hit the block, from Monash University all the way down in Australia.

We run carbon fibre wings front and rear and sidepod diffuser tunnels. The rear wing is a 4 element design and measures 1.4m by 0.75m, the front is two element (second element in two pieces) 1.5m by 0.35m ish. Wings designed for aero balance and a big range of adjustability. Front and rear wings are both mounted unsprung. Sidepod tunnels are mounted to the chassis, we also have a rear central diffuser which hangs back behind the rear wheels and fully sealed underbody. Underbody tunnels are sealed from the sides by upright mounted, floating tyre shelves. These run at absolute minimum ground clearance. The next best thing to skirts or a full aero chassis.

By our calcs this package should produce more downforce than any other car seen in the history of FSAE (with the possible exception of Cornell's Sucker car). We will be in the Monash full scale tunnel to check later in the month.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics up on the web yet but if you would like to see some send me an email and I'll send you a package.

The car should also run for the first time this weekend.

We'd also love to hear any thoughts or comments you might have.

-----------------
Regards,

Scott "Maverick" Wordley &
Roan "Goose" Lyddy-Meaney
Monash FSAE Wingmen
scott.wordley@eng.monash.edu.au

Regards,

Scott@Monash Uni
Australia

Monash University
10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi guys,

Thought you might like some details on the newest winged FSAE car to hit the block, from Monash University all the way down in Australia.

We run carbon fibre wings front and rear and sidepod diffuser tunnels. The rear wing is a 4 element design and measures 1.4m by 0.75m, the front is two element (second element in two pieces) 1.5m by 0.35m ish. Wings designed for aero balance and a big range of adjustability. Front and rear wings are both mounted unsprung. Sidepod tunnels are mounted to the chassis, we also have a rear central diffuser which hangs back behind the rear wheels and fully sealed underbody. Underbody tunnels are sealed from the sides by upright mounted, floating tyre shelves. These run at absolute minimum ground clearance. The next best thing to skirts or a full aero chassis.

By our calcs this package should produce more downforce than any other car seen in the history of FSAE (with the possible exception of Cornell's Sucker car). We will be in the Monash full scale tunnel to check later in the month.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics up on the web yet but if you would like to see some send me an email and I'll send you a package.

The car should also run for the first time this weekend.

We'd also love to hear any thoughts or comments you might have.

-----------------
Regards,

Scott "Maverick" Wordley &
Roan "Goose" Lyddy-Meaney
Monash FSAE Wingmen
scott.wordley@eng.monash.edu.au

Regards,

Scott@Monash Uni
Australia

Dan B
10-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Can you email some pics to
djbarcroft@csupomona.edu
Nothing too large as I am on a dial-up at home.
Thanks from the other team with wings.

Kenny
10-25-2002, 10:49 AM
We (UTA) would love to see what you have come up with. Please send files to <racer_kenny@hotmail.com> . Oh yeah, also send the detail drawings and CFD data /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, without even seeing what you have, I give you my utmost respect. I don't know what you think, but for us, it was a real integration nightmare to package all the aero into the unsprung mass. Does your undertray go into the unsprung as well as the wings?

Ken Hassler
UTA

wingman
10-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Hey Scott,

Great to hear others taking the aero path!!

Does your tunnel have a rolling ground plane??

Are you planning to instrument the car to measure downforce??

What is the expected downforce @ 60 MPH and what is the percent split between underbody and wing downforce??

I couldn't get your e-mail to work, so could you send some pics to navstokes@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Wingman

Monash University
10-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Ok here goes....

Ken:

The undertray is not mounted unsprung. Our side pod diffusers are bolted straight to the chassis. When we designed all this stuff in Janurary we were thinking we were the first team to have a serious go at all this underbody aero stuff. A few of our team members are really into historic F1 etc so we looked at the Lotus 88 aero chassis concept but we though it might be a bit ambitious first time out, Specially condsidering we were designing a totally fresh car, the previous 2 being duds. Suspension and chassis was pretty much set already, so we couldn't really justify the cg height increase without knowing what gains we would get.

CFD predicted a downforce split of about 50% rear wing, %25 front wing and 25% underbody(no rear diffuser) which surprised us a bit as we were hoping for more underbody downforce. Looking at those numbers we decided that a sprung underbody would not necesitate much of a comprimise in spring rates and have the advantage of being simpler, less weight and vehicle lower cg. Effective sealing of the sides was an issue though so we designed extended tyre shelves mounted unsprung off the uprights to seal the sides. It remains to be seen how well this feature works.

Integration was a bit of a nightmare particularly the front wing. Those with the pics will be able to see all the members in there, the black are suspension and the silver are wing mounts. Very tough to get the motion ratios right and control the pitch of the wing while clearing all your suspension. UTA's mounts look much simpler.

Wingman: (Where you from by the way?)

The tunnel has no moving floors, rotating wheels or any other trick gizmos. We are not going to instrument up the car either. Plans are to throw it in do some flow vis to check cooling and wing stall angles, then measure rear wing down force through the range of adjustment. Its the only measure with a chance of being representative. Then compare with theoretical and CFD and try to interpolate front wing and drag values.

Downforce at 60mph??? Hehehe... anybody who has seen the Australasian track for 2002 will know that the one and only place you'll see 60mph is at the finish line of the acceleration event, in which case all our wings will be backed right off.
We set the target right at the beginning of 50kg at 40 kilometers per hour which is more like the speeds well see. Obviously that is a lot of downforce at 100km/h and perhaps too much drag, we'll see. We designed for a top speed of 130km/h with full wing on.

Our attitude was to go for all the downforce we could get within the constraints of the rules. If the car is no better we can rest easy knowing we gave it a shot.

Scott

Regards,

Scott@Monash Uni
Australia

WhiteLX
10-26-2002, 06:12 PM
I would like to see the pictures as well. Do you have anything showing the diffuser from the rear?
whitelx-at-aol.com

-at- = @

Thanks,
Eric

got wings? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kevin Hall
10-28-2002, 11:57 AM
I would like to see a full stack of pics

knh208@mail.usask.ca

RichE
10-29-2002, 02:40 AM
Hi I am from Cardiff Uni, we are new to the competition, and have just started our build for 2003, I would love to have a look at the wing pics as well.
Cheers

Rich

Cardiff Uni
FS Team Manager

RichE
10-29-2002, 02:42 AM
oops forgot the email,
relliott@hotmail.com

Cardiff Uni
FS Team Manager

Brad Warner
10-30-2002, 03:34 PM
send me all the pictures you can. thanks
wbw3@msstate.edu

Brad Warner
Mississippi State University

loose_nut
11-02-2002, 06:53 AM
Everybody wants to see this marvel. Including me.

mmorin8@caramail.com

Nathan
11-06-2002, 08:33 AM
The team at SIUC would also like to see the pics of your car. You can send them to nbonny@siu.edu

Thanks,

Nathan Bonny
SIUC Formula Racing
Team Captain

Nathaniel
11-06-2002, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing those pics.Send them to nblakema@eng.utoledo.edu

Mauricio
11-14-2002, 11:18 AM
hey do you mind sending those pics to me?

mauro_blanco@hotmail.com

thanks

Team MEM05 Drexel U
11-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Pics to Team.MEM05@gmail.com if possible. We are working on the same thing right now just with the lack of a full scale tunnel.

Kyle Walther
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow! this post is old..

you might try their website.. monash (http://users.monash.edu.au/%7Efsae/) i don't know if they have any pics of the 02 car though

Scott Wordley
11-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow... if that thread is old (!!!) then what does that make me, hahaha. Reading that post I can almost taste the naivety... FSAE has stolen my youth. I cant believe I'm still reading this forum and building these stupid cars 4 years later. Sucker for punishment.

The 2002 car which we are talking about above was quite fast missing out on an autocross win by 0.04sec to wollongong. And on the tightest track seen in the history of FSAE.

Some pics of our old cars here:

http://users.monash.edu.au/%7Efsae/garage.htm

Any questions let us know

Scott

Michael Jones
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Holy Groundhog Day, Batman.

Scott's definitely an excellent source on the 2002 Monash wing. At least, he was in 2002.