PDA

View Full Version : FSAE in Cali???

Stephen Soroosh
07-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Has anyone heard anything realistic about having another FSAE even in Cali that is sponsored by Toyota and Honda?? I have heard a few rumors floating around but nothing conclusive.

~Stephen
Sooner Racing Team

If man is not made for God, why is he happy only in God?

Blaisé Pascal (1623-62)

Stephen Soroosh
07-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Has anyone heard anything realistic about having another FSAE even in Cali that is sponsored by Toyota and Honda?? I have heard a few rumors floating around but nothing conclusive.

~Stephen
Sooner Racing Team

Blaisé Pascal (1623-62)

wingman
07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
There has not been enough interest from the local SAE region and car makers to support a west coast competion.....

Mr. Dean Case (Nissan North America) is the SAE head honcho in so cal...thus the man to convince, but all efforts at this to date have been unsuccessful.....

Sisyphus
07-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Not sure where you got your info, wingman--actually, the SoCal SAE board has been informally discussing whether some kind of FSAE event would make sense since quite a few teams are in the LA area.

We did try to put together an autocross/tuning/presentation rehersal/car critique May 5, 2003 just before Detroit. Despite getting the support of Irwindale Raceway and setting up an autocross course--no one showed up, despite getting tentative commitments from several teams. One team did show up, sans car several hours late as we were disassemblying the track. Oh, and Paul Van Valkenburg was kind enough to show up ready to give his considerable insight into the competition.

There is significant enthusiam among several board members for putting together some sort of event, but only if we can be reasonably sure someone will show up! Granted, the timing was probably poor in May as everyone was thrashing to finish their cars.

So, what would work? What kind of event would you like, and what time of year? I'm an SAE board member and would be happy to bring a proposal to the board but I think it should be FSAE member driven.

By the way, as I'm sure the LA schools are aware, we have sponsored a yearly SAE student competition seminar (including FSAE) for the last several years in November at the LMU campus. Also, I believe Cal State Northridge had an autocross type event at their campus this year that several schools participated in (not sure of the date).

Stephen Soroosh
07-21-2003, 09:04 PM
I would be interested in seeing the FSAE event in Detroit split into three events. Two regional events...one in the West (LA perhaps) and one in the East (Detroit would be fine I'm sure) and then take the top 10 or 20 teams from each event and have a nationals. It seems like Detroit is getting so large that the logistics are a problem. I mean...140 potental entries?? Three days really isn't enough time to do all the events. If it was split up into smaller competitions it may not be as exciting but it would certainly be more organized.

~Stephen Soroosh
Sooner Racing Team

Blaisé Pascal (1623-62)

Sisyphus
07-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Stephen, while I think it would be great to have a west coast FSAE competition, I think that would be too ambitious at this time.

I think it would be realistic to organize an event similar to what was tried this year at Irwindale--an autocross to show off the cars and use as a shakedown, a practice presentation to a group of engineers from industry to get some feedback, and a critique of the designs. Basically, we would try to help the west coast teams be better prepared for the Detroit competition.

I suspect the problem with this year's event is that the timing was too close to Detroit but what time would work for the teams?

Stephen Soroosh
07-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Its hard to say what time would work because most teams end up in a frantic rush to get the car done in time for Detroit. Even having it done a few days early can be a problem. I would say a mid summer event may be helpful. By that time teams are getting serious about next years designs and hearing a fresh critique of their most recient entry may help them avoid making the same mistake twice. Also it gives an oppurtunity to see other school's cars which can help sometimes when making design decisions. I mean everyone has to set a benchmark right? Sometimes the best way to learn is to look at the teams that do well.
So Gerry, do you work for Honda? I noticed that it says your from Torrance, CA at the bottom of the post. I know Honda has an R&D center there and I think Toyota does too.

~Stephen Soroosh

Blaisé Pascal (1623-62)

Sisyphus
07-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Stephen, I work for Garrett EBS, the turbo manufacturer who is also in Torrance. If you want to have a discussion off line, my e-mail is: gerry.larue@email.sae.org

Mid summer or early fall (once students get back to school) would make sense to me--as you say building on the previous years designs good or bad. "Only a fool must learn from his own mistakes" as Bismarck once said...

LA is kind of a long haul from Oklahoma isn't it? But I appreciate your enthusiasm!

Denny Trimble
07-24-2003, 04:59 PM
We might be interested in coming down from Seattle in late September, if we have enough time to get back from SCCA nationals in Topeka.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03)

wingman
07-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Gerry, I did not intend to speak out of turn, and I did not realize that the Irwindale event was supported (at least locally) by SAE. I was told it was cancelled...

My only data point was a conversation with Dean at Nissan headquarters about a year ago when I was informed of all the reasons why a west coast event would not happen.....

I'm glad to hear that this was not entirely true

I have been contacted by several local schools in reply to starting an FSAE club to organize practice events by hosting autoX weekends for Cal Club SCCA, but I fear the prospects of this are questionable without commitment from the
teams. Lack of comunication and team turnover without mentorship is a real killer to such a club

The teams just want to show up...maybe...if it is convenient, as you found out at Irwindale.

In fact I have been expecting further contact from the local teams about the autoX club but it hasn't happened...

I will e-mail you off line

Cheers

RickyRacer
07-27-2003, 10:24 AM
I also had no idea that the event at Irwindale was supported. I had not heard of it being cancelled. We simply could not show up because our car was still not running. In fact, it did not even run at the competition. I do feel that it is very beneficial to the southern Califoria teams if we could start and maintain an FSAE club and hold autox events but there has to be a way to keep everyone involved so that the responsibility does not fall on the shoulders of one or two schools. I wish we could have made it to Irwindale but I also feel that the timing of the event made it even more difficult to go. It would have required us to miss out on classes that we were already behind in. I unfortunately did not find out about the event until the week before. As we speak, we are making a new intake and exhaust manifold and we will be working with our Motec unit so that our car can finally run. It should be complete in approximately 2 weeks. I am very interested in starting an auto-x club for FSAE and am willing to help in planning any events. I will email you to speak of further plans.
Ricky Torres
Cal State Long Beach-FSAE

Sam Zimmerman
07-31-2003, 07:24 PM
The thought of having regional competitions with only the top teams competing in Detroit sounds like a good idea for many reasons. The major downfall for me would be that it eliminates the huge array of cars you will see and the diversity of the competitors. FSAE allows you to take a product that you have put countless hours of work into and hold it up against 140 teams of your peers from all over the world. This is the most appealing and unique feature of the competition and no benefit of local competition could outweigh it.

I am all for small, regional preparatory competitions as long as they do not eliminate teams from going to Detroit. The week spent in Detroit meeting other people, seeing the fruits of their labor, and competing against the best teams in the world is an experience you shouldn't take lightly, you may never come across another experience quite like it.

Sam Zimmerman
Vandals Racing
2002-2003 Team Leader

wingman
08-07-2003, 10:17 AM
Currently, we (So Cal SAE) are working with the So Cal SCCA SOLO II organization to provide some support for practice events for the local teams.

There is some buzz about a west coast competition in 2006 with a dry run in 2005 but there is no validity to it.....yet (fingers crossed) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We (Cal Poly Pomona) are putting together a practice event (just an autocross) Sept 13/14 so for those coming back from Nationals, make plans to stop by Cal Speedway.....

I will post this as a separate thread...

cheers,

Wingman

Denny Trimble
08-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Well, it's about the same distance from Topeka to Seattle as it is from Topeka to LA... so it's just that extra 20-something hours of driving back from LA to Seattle.

We'll think about it...

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03)

Micah Bayless
08-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Mr. Gerry LaRue-

In the last few months, we have contacted Dean Case of Nissan Design with the same results as wingman.

Please put down UCSD SAE on your list of schools to keep in contact with. We are experiencing somewhat of a rebirth and are running the guts out of a 2001 Formula car that never made it to Detroit in our schools parking lots. Our contact information is:

SAE at UCSD
C/O Engineering Student Services
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA
858 534-6277

Also, Since we are trying to create a buzz on campus, can we get in touch regarding tacking down a speaker for a campus wide SAE meeting in the fall?

San Diego Region SAE - at this point - is a bit tough to collaborate with.

Regards-

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
mbayless@ucsd.edu
858 658-0402

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu

Sisyphus
08-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Micah, putting together a west coast FSAE competition is, as Dean indicated, a huge undertaking. But there is enthusiasm on the part of the SoCal SAE board and among some of the local FSAE alums to do just that and we have formed a group to start things rolling.

We're starting small by trying to organize some autocross activities (see Wingman's note on the Sept 12/13 event) to (1) learn how to organize an event and (2) to see if the local FSAE schools will support it. My personal opinion is that a full West Coast FSAE competition is several years out but it can happen if we work together.

Regarding your request for an SAE speaker--we'd be happy to support that. Steven Lam is the student activities chair on the SAE board and I will pass your request on to him.

I spoke at UCSD in November 2001 to the student AIAA section on turbocharging and would be happy to do something similar for SAE if that's of interest.

Micah Bayless
08-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Gerry -

Here at UCSD, we have a modest FSAE Alumni following our every move. I know most of the guys are still in the SoCal area and could probably make a contribution to making FSAE West happen.

Last night our team had a online meeting and concluded that we're going to stay in SD the 13 and 14th simply to continue development on our next chassis - yet, I wouldn't be suprised if a few members made the trip, though - if so I'll tell them to ask around for you.

I would like to put you and Steven Lam in touch with our VP External Steven Dawson (sdawson_nospam@ucsd.edu). He is heavily involved in a summer engine swap at this point though.

We have drafted a sponsorhsip request letter to Garrett Engine Boosting Systems (your company, yes?) to request eligibility in the FSAE sponsorhsip program they have (two turbos for Formula teams). Let me know if there's a way to expedite the process http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Appreciate all your help-

Micah

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu

wingman
08-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi Micah,

I attempted to e-mail you but your box is full..

Sorry to hear that you will not make it up to the practice with the car, but please come anyway!! Drive your street cars in the practice!! it's well worth the experience...

Sisyphus
08-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Micah, (and any other teams wanting to run a turbo) you can find all the info about our FSAE turbo program on our website at this URL:

http://www.egarrett.com/about_garrett/get_sponsored.jsp

I think that will put you on the correct page, but if not, go to "www.egarrett.com" and click on "about Garrett" at the top and you will see the link to the FSAE page.

It tells you to send your completed letter to Sara Chastain but she is leaving us shortly to return to grad school so for now you can send your info to me at: gerry.larue@honeywell.com

One of the engineers who helps with the FSAE support will get back to you with the info packet and turbos. We split the schools up between us so one person doesn't have to carry all the load.

Micah Bayless
08-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Ian -

I will attempt to put together a few guys to go for a day. We're still getting the word out about fsae.com!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingman:
Hi Micah,

I attempted to e-mail you but your box is full..

Sorry to hear that you will not make it up to the practice with the car, but please come anyway!! Drive your street cars in the practice!! it's well worth the experience...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu

wingman
09-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone,

Quick thanks to all involved in the Auto X at Cal Speedway this last weekend!! A great time was had by all!!!! USC, CSUN and Cal Poly ran the wheels off their cars!!

There will be an event report forthcoming but now for the important stuff!!!!!

We (So Cal SAE board) are attempting to put together a practice event for the FSAE teams at Irwindale speedway the day after the SAE open house event at LMU in November. The trick is we must coordinate the availability of the timing equipment, Irwindale Speedway and LMU in one weekend...

It seems as if the only weekend that is possible is Nov 22 and 23 but we are concerned this is too close to Thanksgiving for everyone....

We are planning the standard LMU event with tech briefs, and presentations for all the SAE competitions on Saturday, with the FSAE dynamic event on Sunday.

The other option is to have the Saturday LMU event on one weekend and the Sunday FSAE event the previous or following weekend

Please chime in on your interest/availability to attend such an event

cheers,

Wingman

wingman
09-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Hey everyone,

So after pulling off such a great event...

WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO????

We are now trying to plan an FSAE only event at Irwindale for you guys and not a single reply to the info request....

Is the weekend of Nov 22, 23 workable for the local schools???

Do you want to participate in future autoXs???

Let us know ASAP

Micah Bayless
10-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Where can I find the latest info on an SAE event at LMU - I have a student workshop flyer from 2000 in my hands and want to have the opportunity to attend this year!
UCSD SAE is interested!

Irwindale Nov 22,23 should be workable for us. Yet, remember our focus has shifted from the old test-bed car to the fabrication of the new chassis. That may be the only hitch... does SoCal SAE host an event in April for us to test at with our new car?

Micah Bayless

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu

Daygo Nighthawk
10-08-2003, 12:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Micah Bayless:
...does SoCal SAE host an event in April for us to test at with our new car?

Micah Bayless
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FEBRUARY, Micah.
February.

Sisyphus
10-08-2003, 12:12 PM
The annual SAE student competitions workshop will be on the LMU campus on Saturday, November 22nd. A new flyer with details will be available in a few days. The event will be conducted similar to previous years--speakers in the morning on subjects such as team building and leadership, project planning, etc. and panel discussions in the afternoon with FSAE, Mini Baja, Supermileage alums answering your questions and providing input and info exchange.

We are also planning to have an autocross in LA on the following day, Sunday, November 23rd. Obviously, this will be with last years cars but it will be a good opportunity to test and tune the cars and drivers and build some enthusiasm in your teams. CSUN, Cal Poly Pomona, and USC recently brought their 2003 cars to the SCCA Solo2 event at Fontana and had a good time running the old cars. Details are still pending on the autocross but we'll get the word out as soon as things are finalized.

IF YOUR TEAM IS INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN AN AUTOCROSS ON NOV 23RD, it would help us immensely in planning the event if you would let us know. Please e-mail me at gerry.larue@email.sae.org

wingman
11-11-2003, 01:36 PM
OK all you WEST COAST TEAMS, we are coordinating another AutoX practice/ event with So Cal SCCA, same premise as the September event and this will again be @ Cal Speedway Dec 13th and 14th

PLEASE REPLY ASAP if you are planning on attending, details to follow soon, but I need a potential head counts

Cheers,

Wingman

PatClarke
11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
On the general forum, I posted a link to the SAE Collegiate Competitions newsletter.
The latest one refers to their intention to start FSAE West in 2006 in order to avoid the overcrowding currently in the Pontiac event. (Possibly the demise of the Superdome venue has something to do with the decision too)
PDR

Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength

Tinman
11-11-2003, 05:25 PM
CSUN will be there both days.

Micah Bayless
11-16-2003, 05:05 PM
UCSD may be there with the 2000 car - we have finals the week prior and will keep the list posted.

Micah Bayless
President
UCSD SAE
858 534-6277
mbayless@ucsd.edu

Daygo Nighthawk
11-19-2003, 08:45 PM
So who is going to LMU this Saturday??
How bout Sunday autocross?

wingman
11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Hello West Coast Teams,

THERE IS NO AUTO-X THIS SUNDAY

We could not lock down a venue in time and there didn't seem to be enough interest from the teams in doing the event right now so close to finals.

The auto-X practice will be Saturday Dec 13th @ Cal Speedway, as stated previously in this thread

SAE may be picking up the tab for your entry fees, so you just need to let us know you will be there and be ready to run!!

The drop-dead RSVP date for participation at the event will be Dec 1st, and we will have more info this weekend at LMU

All of this stuff is a two way street....we organize these events for you the teams and so we need to know your involved!!!!

For instance, the LMU event this weekend had an RSVP by today, and we have only received a few replies.....

PLEASE LET US KNOW YOU ARE COMING!!!

The SAE board wants to support student activities and is setting aside funds to do so. Note that the LMU event is FREE this year and the Dec Auto-x may be free as well but ONLY if you the teams let us know you will be there, otherwise the board is just throwing money away!!!!

It is your responsibility as part of the privilege of participating in the SAE programs to ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE; otherwise you risk loosing the privilege

If you are not able to communicate through the channels we have been using LET US KNOW!!!!

Excuse the rant, but the board spends A LOT of time and money to support the students, all we are asking is that you don't let our efforts be a waist of time!!!

We need to hear from you!!! ALL OF YOU

js10coastr
11-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Cal Poly SLO will not be at LMU because we did not recieve details or conformation of the event until this week. We may be at the autocross, but have not yet made a decision.

Thanks to the So cal SAE section for setting aside funds. The opportunites you guys provide for us are outstanding. However, we would like to receive event information in a more timely manner. The newsletters are great, but we would like to receive them before the publicized events occur.

I know that myself and many members would like to be more involved in the So cal section by attending the meetings, but the drive down from SLO is a large hassle during the week.

www.calpolysae.org (http://www.calpolysae.org)