PDA

View Full Version : Torsen Type 2

Pat
10-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Since we dont have a lot of time on the cnc, i'd like to know how much time can be saved by switching from the type1 to t2. Also, is it easy to measure and design the housing without the plans from torsen and can it be made as light or lighter then a housing for type1?

Thanks
Patrick

Pat
10-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Since we dont have a lot of time on the cnc, i'd like to know how much time can be saved by switching from the type1 to t2. Also, is it easy to measure and design the housing without the plans from torsen and can it be made as light or lighter then a housing for type1?

Thanks
Patrick

Travis Townsley
10-07-2002, 06:54 AM
Hello,

I represent Taylor Race Engineering. Over the last several years more FSAE teams have found us and are using us as a supplier for their driveline components. We offer small lobro cv joints, tripod joints, axles, and chain drive differentials for formula cars.

Our chain drive differential is a great alternative to the torsen. It is a torque-biasing differential (like the torsen) but was made specifically for chain drive cars. Our differential is oil filled and is complete from drive flange to drive flange. This means their is no machining required by you to complete the diff.

You can find a flier and an installation drawing of the diff on our website. We have also posted technical drawings of the small tripods and lobro cv joints. This link Taylor Race Engineering (http://www.taylor-race.com/techsprt.cfm)will take you directly to our technical documents page. At the bottom of the list is the "FSAE technical drawings" file. This includes info about the diff, cv joints, and axles.

Please e-mail me if you need any other information.

Thanks,
Travis Townsley
travis@taylor-race.com
Taylor Race Engineering (http://www.taylor-race.com)

Charlie
10-07-2002, 07:44 AM
Back to your question, we've found that the type2 is much more difficult to design a housing for because it does not seperate like the type 1.

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

David Money
10-07-2002, 12:58 PM
We did a Type II in our FSAE car and found it very easy to make the housing for. We used a Type II from a Miata ($60 at junkyard) and machined 2 pieces that captured the dif by bolting to where the ring gear originally bolted to on the diff. Was fairly easy, and offered the adjustable Torque Bias Ratio. The really good part was that we could buy our stub axles from a salvage yard anytime we ran into a problem. We even used this point in our marketing presentation based on the fact that the car is suppossed to be for a weekend racer, and therefore this would give them the capability to get parts anywhere in the country versus having to get them custom made. Just a thought.

cdorneman
10-07-2002, 02:05 PM
I have a question concerning the taggart/taylor diff...I assume the design involved the Quaife parts used for the center housing, with new ends, bearing rides, and sprocket/rotor flanges from the center out. I've been looking at this setup for a little while (saw it when researching D/SRs...) and I still can't nail down how the flanges are fitted to the diff ends after the bearings are pressed on. I think I can see a keyway...is that what's going on there?
I don't want to steal any proprietary secrets, I'm just curious about how it goes together...
--Casey

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." - Britney Spears

Travis Townsley
10-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Dear Casey,

Your question about the design and assembly of the TRE/TPE Chain Drive Differential is well founded.

First, it is important to note that this differential was designed from the ground up to be chain drive differential. It is sealed and oil bath lubricated. The only parts of Quaife design are the planet gears and internal clutch. The housing, output gears and integral output stub axle are manufactured by Quaife, but to our design and specification. The end bells, brake and sprocket flange, bearing cassettes and other detail parts are manufactured by Taggart/Taylor Race Engineering.

You can find a photo of the disassembled differential on our website. Follow this link and choose "Chain Drive Differential - exploded picture" Taylor Race Engineering (http://www.taylor-race.com/techsprt.cfm)

The CV joint drive flanges are simply held onto the splined stub axle with a circlip. The differential carrier bearings are installed on the brake and sprocket flanges, which are then installed over the spigot on the end bell. The drive from the sprocket and brake are taken by four square keys. The keyways that you observed in the photos are for these keys. The brake rotor and sprocket flanges are held in place with spanner nuts. The output shafts are sealed by an o-ring and supported by Teflon lined bushings.

Hope that you find this information useful. If you have any further questions, please call me at 800-422-0567 or e-mail at craig@taylor-race.com

Sincerely,

Craig Taylor

cdorneman
10-08-2002, 08:32 AM
Mr Taylor,
Thank you for the explanation and the exploded view. I must compliment you guys on a terrific looking part, and by the way it looked at Detroit and the Runoffs this year, it performs very well on track also. We used a Quaife diff last year on our car, and were extremely pleased with it's qualities as far as packaging and performance. Looks like you guys have taken it a step further.
--Casey

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." - Britney Spears

L.R. Weidner
10-09-2002, 10:42 PM
I must say that is a cool site! Lots of cool information and pictures.