PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck!

Dick Golembiewski
05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, circumstances are such that, although invited, I can't judge this year. My friend David Gould, amongst others, is in a similar situation. Something may change in the next couple of days, but I can't count on it.

For those concerned, Carroll does have some serious health problems, which will hopefully be overcome.

I've read all of your reports, and have thoughts - but can't reveal them! <grin> Suffice to say that the overall level (primarily driven by the "mid-pack" cars, has gone up yet again. FWIW, I haven't seen the same progress in mini-baja.) A couple of years ago, one of the consortium judges in my group (from GM) discovered that I had gone to MSOE. Despite the fact that we've both put on more than a few pounds - and turned grey, he said to me that he thought that I looked familiar. I thought the same thing. Small world.

You are now all members of an elite group - those who have completed these projects. Much of what is discussed here is exactly the same as it was 25 years ago when I first joined SAE. You'll eventually discover that yourselves. Nonetheless, many of us are proud of you folks. I had many positive experiences as a student, competition official, competition organizer, faculty advisor, foundeing member, and chair of the competitions (formally rules) committee, etc. Save for those as a faculty advisor, my most memorable have been those where I have provided feedback as a judge (or as requested/suggested by Bob Sechler, Dave Mitchell, or other staff members) to those who were struggling with their programs. As I used to say in my professorial days, anyone can teach (although perhaps not challenge) an "A" student. The real reward is in helping that student who is struggling to get a "C" (but won't quit).

Good luck to all of you. I suspect that it will be an "interesting" year. As one who has seen these things from every angle save for headquarters' staff (which I have been threatening to do - <grin&gthttp://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif you will not regret your participation.

- Dick Golembiewski

Dick Golembiewski
05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, circumstances are such that, although invited, I can't judge this year. My friend David Gould, amongst others, is in a similar situation. Something may change in the next couple of days, but I can't count on it.

For those concerned, Carroll does have some serious health problems, which will hopefully be overcome.

I've read all of your reports, and have thoughts - but can't reveal them! &lt;grin&gt; Suffice to say that the overall level (primarily driven by the "mid-pack" cars, has gone up yet again. FWIW, I haven't seen the same progress in mini-baja.) A couple of years ago, one of the consortium judges in my group (from GM) discovered that I had gone to MSOE. Despite the fact that we've both put on more than a few pounds - and turned grey, he said to me that he thought that I looked familiar. I thought the same thing. Small world.

You are now all members of an elite group - those who have completed these projects. Much of what is discussed here is exactly the same as it was 25 years ago when I first joined SAE. You'll eventually discover that yourselves. Nonetheless, many of us are proud of you folks. I had many positive experiences as a student, competition official, competition organizer, faculty advisor, foundeing member, and chair of the competitions (formally rules) committee, etc. Save for those as a faculty advisor, my most memorable have been those where I have provided feedback as a judge (or as requested/suggested by Bob Sechler, Dave Mitchell, or other staff members) to those who were struggling with their programs. As I used to say in my professorial days, anyone can teach (although perhaps not challenge) an "A" student. The real reward is in helping that student who is struggling to get a "C" (but won't quit).

Good luck to all of you. I suspect that it will be an "interesting" year. As one who has seen these things from every angle save for headquarters' staff (which I have been threatening to do - &lt;grin&gthttp://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif you will not regret your participation.

- Dick Golembiewski

Michael Jones
05-09-2003, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Golembiewski:

I've read all of your reports, and have thoughts - but can't reveal them! &lt;grin&gt; Suffice to say that the overall level (primarily driven by the "mid-pack" cars, has gone up yet again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understandable, but it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts after competition. I'm sure they would be very helpful to all.

Agreed on the mid-pack teams - the number of teams I"ve tracked in recent competitions as potential challengers for the trophy have increased by a factor of two over three years, as best I can recall. We're always impressed with the quality of work and the extent of innovation out there. I'd say there are probably 20 schools out there with decent odds to take it all, with another 20 not that far off the mark.

Just means we have to earn the three-peat, is all. Which is the way it should be.

---
Cornell Racing
http://fsae.mae.cornell.edu

Dick Golembiewski
05-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Michael,

Thank you for your kind words.

Pat Clarke is in the country, and he was nice enough to pop up to Milwaukee before heading to Michigan. I've just returned from dinner with Pat and his lovely wife, and we discussed FSAE at length! &lt;grin&gt;

It has been Carroll's policy that we do not publish our reviews of the design reports, but rather provide specific feedback - when asked - on the car as presented at the competition. Carroll has made general remarks on the reports during his design briefing on Sunday. I am going to respect that policy.

Having said all of that, I am still hoping that with some late-hour shuffling I may be able to attend. I don't know if it will be possible, but I am going to try.

The increase in the level of the cars presented can make judging a bit more difficult, but if one is going to have a problem, it is a nice one to have.

Good luck! If I am not there, please say hello to Dr. George for me.

- Dick

Michael Jones
05-10-2003, 04:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Golembiewski:
The increase in the level of the cars presented can make judging a bit more difficult, but if one is going to have a problem, it is a nice one to have.

- Dick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally understandable again - perhaps Pat and/or someone else can provide a general overview of what's good to see. Carroll essnetially did that last year in his final design speech, a tradition that will be sorely missed. When we didn't make final design in 2001, we showed up anyway...and the people tending to the car for the Road and Track competition rushed back halfway through last year's to at least catch the last bit, which proved to be worth every bit.

Will pass on your greetings to ARG.

---
Cornell Racing

Michael Jones
05-10-2003, 04:14 AM

- Dick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally understandable again - perhaps Pat and/or someone else can provide a general overview of what's good to see. Carroll essnetially did that last year in his final design speech, a tradition that will be sorely missed. When we didn't make final design in 2001, we showed up anyway...and the people tending to the car for the Road and Track competition rushed back halfway through last year's to at least catch the last bit, which proved to be worth every bit.

Will pass on your greetings to ARG, but of course hope that you'll be able to do that yourself. If you're not available for the entire competition for judging and all, but still in town for part, please feel free to drop by in any event.

---
Cornell Racing