PDA

View Full Version : driver preparation

ninja14
09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi

I would like to discuss how you drivers prepare yourself before driving, particularly the endurance event. I'm talking more specifically about preparation the day of the event. What kind of foods you eat for breakfast? Do you get to sleep in a bit more then other team members? How much water do you drink before you hop into the car? etc.

I'm predicting very hot conditions on endurance day in this years FSAE-A competition and if this holds true, driver fitness (and skill!) will be paramount to success. How hard do you guys (and girls) train to achieve a desirable physique for driving these types of cars? Do some teams out there set a minimum standard of fitness before they can be nominated as drivers? Or do you dedicate your engineering designs to accomodate the "regular folk"? (for example, add KPI to make steering lighter but sacrifice on positive camber gain in cornering)

Sorry about the long post about a not-so-engineering topic, but I look forward to seeing your replies on this topic.

Francis (now ex FSAE competitor)

ninja14
09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi

I would like to discuss how you drivers prepare yourself before driving, particularly the endurance event. I'm talking more specifically about preparation the day of the event. What kind of foods you eat for breakfast? Do you get to sleep in a bit more then other team members? How much water do you drink before you hop into the car? etc.

I'm predicting very hot conditions on endurance day in this years FSAE-A competition and if this holds true, driver fitness (and skill!) will be paramount to success. How hard do you guys (and girls) train to achieve a desirable physique for driving these types of cars? Do some teams out there set a minimum standard of fitness before they can be nominated as drivers? Or do you dedicate your engineering designs to accomodate the "regular folk"? (for example, add KPI to make steering lighter but sacrifice on positive camber gain in cornering)

Sorry about the long post about a not-so-engineering topic, but I look forward to seeing your replies on this topic.

Francis (now ex FSAE competitor)

Charlie
09-15-2002, 12:17 AM
I don't think physical conditioning is very important in such a short race. Our car is definitely designed for the 'masses' and not for one particular driver. It needs to be fairly easy to drive.

I drove in Autocross and Endurance in 2002. We finished Autocross in 7th with a lap of 79.4. It also happened to be the only full lap I got, on cold tires. I prepared by not eating anything, not thinking too much, trying to focus on what was next and not getting nervous. I'd never driven the auto-x before. It was hard not to get rattled as we had some mainor (and major) problems just before the auto-x, but it all worked out great.

For Endurance, it was a little different. it was so very cold and so early for the fastest group. I think we had to be on the grid by 6:30 AM. I drove second and watched our first driver run about a lap before I started feeling sick. He had some problems with the car on the first corner, likely because of cold tires. I couldn't watch anymore, I just sat down next to the RVs and set out my helmet and gloves to get ready for the driver's change. I was calm and collected and ran some very good laps in Endurance (78s). We brought the car home in one piece. and at a great pace.

IMO, The biggest driver issues are

1)Familiarity with the car

and

2)Ability to cope with the unexpected (weather, temp, car issues, etc)

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

gtmsracer
09-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Usually we don't let our drivers worry or touch the car before driving events. We just have them sit down and relax and get focused on the driving ahead of them. Being one of the Auto-x and Endurance drivers this past year, I would like to listen to my favorite DJ (electronic) on headphones and just get in the zone. I have driven these cars for so many years that they are just natural to me. I can jump in any of our cars and be completely comfortable with them. It just comes with seat time. I was the second driver in Endo in Detriot and England and wasn't really too nervous in either case. I guess its because I'm so comfortable in the car.

We also try to have a driver fitness program during the year to help get the drivers in better shape. It may not make a big difference but its the little things that can add up. We usually just do some cardio and some basic weight training.

Shamus Yandle
Georgia Tech Motorsports 1998-Present
2001/2002 Formula Student Champions
2002 Formula SAE - 3rd place

shiny side up!
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
I think the biggest challenge our drivers faced was the pressure of the event and the cars youre racing against. At Competition you have one shot to prove that the thousands of man-hours spent on design, manufacturing, testing, presenting, etc were all done well. That's a big deal.

My teammate and I drove to 3rd in the endurance in Detroit this year (despite a pretty big 5th-gear 'off' that resulted in the eating of 4 cones), and both of us feel that seat-time is one of the single biggest factors in getting faster.

http://www.emo.spacespider.net/burnout.gif

This year, lets put the engine back up front where it belongs!!

Crash and Burn
09-19-2002, 08:48 PM
The key is simple, physical fitness (gym everyday) and Skip Barber Racing School.

Charlie
09-20-2002, 12:21 AM
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. I am a Barber school graduate, but it doesn't exactly prepare you for an FSAE-type course. In fact, it is vastly different.

Time in the car, and practice on the FSAE-style courses, overwhelm both those "KEYS" to driver prep by a very wide margin.

-Charlie Ping

Erich Leonard
09-21-2002, 10:48 AM
I agree with Charlie,
At Cornell, we have very small parking lots that we do our testing in as the university will not give us space in larger ones. We test and train on very tight autocross courses. The average corner radius that we test and train on is much smaller than the average corner in the endurance and autocross track.

Although a driving school helps, it isn't the main factor in successful competition driving. Prepping drivers by placing them in high-pressure situations: A good driver training regimen, mock competitions, and drive offs between all team members that are interested in driving at the competition with a one shot mentality is the most helpful.

Also, at the competition, the pavement is much different from your average NY parking lot and thus the handling of the car will change. With a small wet, sloped, risky practice lot at the competition it pays decent dividends to have your suspension guys set the car up to perform a number of ways for your drivers to train with. Instead of the perfect balance that you strive for, challenge the drivers by adding roll stiffness to one end or the other without telling them before they go out. When they come in, ask them what they felt they had to do to get the car to do what they wanted it to. That way when you get the competition and you are out on the skidpad and your car understeers a little due to the different pavement conditions, you can still lay down a respectable skidpad time and be happy that you did all this preparation.

Before endurance this year, the other endurance driver and myself sat down and discussed strategy. That helped the two of us remain calm and know what sort of job we had to do out there to get the job done. One more thing: Don't drive the car to the limits in the endurance. Drive at 9/10th's. This will ensure that you don't hit any cones or get any OC's. Will keep the car in one piece, won't fatigue the driver, and will conserve fuel.

Regards,
Erich Leonard
Cornell FSAE 2000-2002

Dominic Venieri
10-23-2002, 08:16 AM
for the competition, we let the drivers go to sleep earlier than everyone, and the day of, we let them do their own thing pretty much. that's assuming the car is all in good working order. if we are having problems, then its a whole different story, because our drivers are also our most experienced team members and engineers.

as far as training goes, we don't set any physical standards, though everyone is encouraged to do some physical training, and most of our drivers work out on a fairly regular basis. the biggest factor is familarity with the car. we try and get everyone as much seat time as possible, driving on campus in our commuter lot, and doing SCCA events as well. We've found those to be particularly helpful.

last year, 15 members went to a one day school at skip barber. the skills learned there were helpful, although they weren't directly applicable to autox driving.

the better physical shape your drivers are in, the better they will be able to drive, no doubt about that. having as much seat time as possible is also critical. come race day, just let the drivers relax and do whatever they need to be comfortable and in the zone.

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

Shifter
10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
I refer you all to Caroll Smith's Drive to Win page 1-22 2nd heading.

Kenny
10-25-2002, 10:56 AM
We also send the drivers to bed early, and leave them basically to do their own thing the day of driving. The night before, we discuss driver order and strategy as a team. All primary and backup drivers have been tried out and selected by no later than 2 weeks before competition. Other than that, just a big warm water enema before the event to keep weight down, and relieve stress.

Regards,

Ken Hassler
UTA

roller
10-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Ken-

What ever you guys did for driver prep it seemed to be the right thing. You guys were my pick at comp last year. What did end up happening to you guys in the endurance? I was sad not to see you finish.

Kenny
10-25-2002, 01:01 PM
I was not an active team member for 02, just a spectator. The team had a catastrophic failure in the enduro........ran out of fuel with about 1/2 lap to go. Pretty embarassing.

Ken Hassler
UTA

HB
11-08-2002, 07:46 AM
I would have to agree with Shifter and his reference to Carrol Smith. Also, we usually releive stress, especially when we have problems, by drinking large quantities of alcohol the night before and even larger quantities of coffee before the event. Seriously, by the time you get to competition, your drivers should know the car. They should be comfortable with it and have a good idea how it will react to different situations. This only comes with driving the car. Also, thoughout the year, we set up the competition, or a variation of it, where we test. After-all, the rules state exactly what the course set-up will be. Now I know it's impossible to know the exact course but with the FSAE rules in mind, there are only so many different ways to apply the several basic obsticles. Just look at the past several track layouts...

HB
U. of Akron

ericwort
11-11-2002, 01:46 AM
Last year I prepared for the endurance by spending an hour in the car underneath a tarp being hailed on. Oh, wait, that was one lap into the endurance. Nevermind /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

The best non-car related thing to do is go to bed early, and eat a little bit for breakfast. Repeat to yourself over and over that "Cornell will go down this year" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif j/k

Having some seat time before competition will boost your confidence some and you'll know where the car's 90-95% limit is. No need to push the car to get every little bit out of it.

shiny side up!
11-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Beware the assumption that 95% will be enough! I thought that when preparing for my first endurance race, only to find it is not necessarily true! If you think you are in a position to win endurance, or even finish in the top 10, you are going to have to push very hard. Watch the fast cars in the endurance and autocross... they are sliding all over the place as the drivers get all they can from them. I've been to 3 US competitions, and our team went from the 30's to the teens to the top 5 in those three years, and the competition difference is huge as you climb, not only in the design, but in the driving as well!

Charlie
11-13-2002, 01:01 PM
Yes, but 95% of the cars capabilities involve LOTS of sliding. Controlled sliding, predictable sliding. Just because they look a little out of control does not mean they are driving at 100%. 95% is no walk in the park. You can't go at 100%, because 101% will nab you a cone and 2 seconds is a huge penalty.

-Charlie Ping

Barry
11-22-2002, 11:11 AM
Here are some of my opinions on driver training. I drive vehicles all the time at work and do limit handling. I was once over-aggressive and slower than "smoother" drivers. That is chaning as I looked at the following:

1. Car Control Skills - if the car begins to yaw, when do you correct and how much to correct. You must be in control at all times.

2. Vehicle Dynamics Understanding - you have to use all the tire, but you cannot over use the tire. Drive the car to its limits all the time, many people cannot do this.

3. Ergonomics - you cannot get tired when driving. When you become fatigue, you loose time.

4. Instruction - There are many "racing schools" out there. Although these schools are fun, you really do not learn much. Some good training is Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat, Co and TRC has some good training courses.

When training with your team, set up certian events, in autocross style courses, make sure that you have slaloms, brake boxes, etc. I have also always trained all my drivers on courses much tighter than at competition. If they get really fast on a tight technical course, they should perform much better at competition. Over the years, I have worked with some very good drivers at LTU.

Barry
LTU FSAE

Moeye
11-23-2002, 06:25 AM
ericwort: The best non-car related thing to do is go to bed early

What?!?! we have been doing the opposite! No sleep over period of 3 days, we take away their water and then use a cattle prong on them if they say no.

Bavarian Motorsport
11-25-2002, 01:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barry:

3. Ergonomics - you cannot get tired when driving. When you become fatigue, you loose time.

4. Instruction - There are many "racing schools" out there. Although these schools are fun, you really do not learn much. Some good training is Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat, Co and TRC has some good training courses.

When training with your team, set up certian events, in autocross style courses, make sure that you have slaloms, brake boxes, etc. I have also always trained all my drivers on courses much tighter than at competition. If they get really fast on a tight technical course, they should perform much better at competition. Over the years, I have worked with some very good drivers at LTU.

Barry
LTU FSAE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good points made. I am running the Drivers Training program here at RPI. One of the points I emphasized at my initial lecture was the importance of concentration and fatigue.

Also concerning driving school. What most driving schools do is teach basics. These include all the 3-day type programs, snow conditions, etc. They teach car control, and some driving/racing basics. You can move upto a racing level school course which is usually either open wheel related or towards a club racer where you learn on track skills. However there are only a few beneficial AutoX style schools, and some of the best schools for Formula SAE in my mind are Karting schools. I feel karting is one of if not the best way to get the skills needed to drive a formula sae car at its limits. Since most Formula fords/dodges are not quite in the same class, Karting is much closer to the conditions seen with Formula SAE cars. The skills learned in karting, Shifter karting in particular, are extremely good skills to know in any scenario, obviously including and especially for autoX style Formula SAE events. If you can drive a kart well you have a very very good chance of being able to be one of the fastest formula sae drivers if the car can be reliable; its peak performance levels dont even have to be the best at competition as the best drivers should be able to pilot even a half decent car to a podium finish.

We should get a Drivers Forum on here /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

geoffrey
11-26-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm a little confused as to what exactly you are saying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can move upto a racing level school course which is usually either open wheel related or towards a club racer where you learn on track skills. However there are only a few beneficial AutoX style schools, and some of the best schools for Formula SAE in my mind are Karting schools <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so are there kart classes that teach autoX? Karting is good to learn the basic driving skills, but is that really the best way to learn to drive an fsae car? I tend to disagree with you when you say that karting is the closest thing to open wheel autocrossing.

I'm assuming that you have driven both karts and an fsae car and can understand and appreciate the vast difference betweent the two. In terms of sheer vechicle dynamics, the fsae car is entirely different, but this is a another topic all together.

I feel the best preperation is year long involvement on the driver's part, so they have intimate knowledge of the car. After that, its a matter of seat time on a simiar course (to competition) as someone brought up above. practice practice practice.

Bavarian Motorsport
11-26-2002, 09:53 PM
Actually I am driving one of our FSAE cars later this year, but have driven formula dodges, Shifter karts, etc. What I think the best thing is, and this is kind of obvious is that we need to practice IN the car. I have already got my hands on some data acquistion hardware to further enhance and develop our skills. I also have planned semi-pro and pro drivers I know to come and talk with us, and go over the collected data, and help us see our flaws, and correct them. Also making sure we dont develop bad habits. The best thing is to just get seat team in the Fsae car. Anything else is just supplemantary that will just provide more experience and to develop techniques, however its very specific to each fsae car how it needs to be driven, and how to drive it correctly to get the most out of it.

vinHonda
12-16-2002, 07:51 PM
obviously sex is the most important key before racing the endurance! i'm kidding.

seat time. that's what it's all about. and a guy who doesn't get nervous.

nervous drivers = cone eating

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
www.fsae.utoronto.ca (http://www.fsae.utoronto.ca)

Bavarian Motorsport
12-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Yea, the most important thing I try to emphasize is seat time. However just driving around in a parking lot only does so much. you need proper instruction, and proper critiqueing so you dont develop bad habits. What you may think is the fastest line, may not be, etc...

Either way, Karting requries as much and most of the time quicker reactions then a FSAE car. You are correct in that since the fsae cars have suspension, it handles different... no two cars hanelte the same. However how you control the car, and the instincts you use... Karts are in my mind the closest. Since most people dont race Van Diemens, they can only judge the fsae car compared to thier car, or maybe even some karts. Not many guys have raced well prepared shifter karts, considering an 80cc entry level shifter feels nothing like a 47hp prepped 125 shifter. I raced a couple of these last summer at a friends track. I used a 33hp 80cc that had a great chassis setup, and he had his 46hp Motoriseven 125. Considering he owns the track, and has raced there 8 years, and with the power difference (we weigh the same) it took him about 7 laps to lap me on a 1/2 mile very technical course.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. If you can becomer a successful and skilled Karter (mainly shifter karting) I can almost garuntee you'll be able to handle a fsae car and get used to it very quickly. Since the dynamics and characteristics of each car is different, depending on design, and how its intended to handle, the driver must compensate and learn the car.

Once a team decides on who will be driving the most, or for the say the endurance, they should then proceed to the next level of training. Considering how much the endurance is worth at competition its important you can first have a car that can be reliable and last the entire event, and above that have drivers who can consistently run fast laps. Setting a fast lap here and there wont win. Consistency and making sure you reduce the number of human errors is key for driving success.

I hope I can start something once it gets warmer out so we can start preparing our drivers asap for competition and Autox. I got some cool events coming up i am planning and some great tools to use.

Do any of you guys use any tools to help you determine how your drivers are performing and how they can get better?

Have fun on the track Keep the shiny side up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Happy Holidays (you should all be in the shop /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

shiny side up!
01-10-2003, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Have fun on the track Keep the shiny side up http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Happy Holidays (you should all be in the shop http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I *usually* do!! (And usually am...)

Kevin UOW
01-13-2003, 03:37 PM
This is a little off subject, but I am trying to find the official times from last year's US competition (all events). All times for the F-SAE Australasia competition are posted on
http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=f0201

Is there a similar site for the US comp?

Michael Jones
01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that Detroit's competition doesn't even try to collect individual endurance lap times. Way too confusing - we tried the last couple of years to do a similar unofficial tally with 4-5 people and it's hectic. The sample lap times announced are sampled, which itself would be interesting data to have available.

Charlie
01-13-2003, 09:17 PM
All the resources are there to collect lap times, if SAE just used the data they could have all of them. They keep track of total times, and total laps. That's a lot of info though.

-Charlie Ping
http://www.auburn.edu/~pingiii/2002FSAE/carblank.jpg

Courtney Waters
01-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Kevin,

You'll find the 2002 results posted on the SAE site here: http://www.sae.org/students/fsaeresu.htm

Courtney Waters
UCD Formula SAE

Bavarian Motorsport
01-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Well in regards to learning how to drive the car, its different for EVERY car. And obviously, as you mentioned, the best way, and only way really, is to have as much seat time as possible. Also a good aid in becoming a better driver in that specific car and in general, is to use data acquisition and analyze it with experienced drivers (preferably pro) and have them help you distinguish what was good, what was bad, what can be done better, faster, more efficient, to help you drive the car faster, longer grip life, manage fuel better, etc. Then and only then will you be prepared to compete in the car, and be comfident you have an edge over anyone who steps in the car for the first time. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Andy K
02-18-2003, 10:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericwort:
Repeat to yourself over and over that "Cornell will go down this year" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif j/k<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, that's what we've been thinking while we build every part of our car... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Andris Kanins
McGill Racing Team - Body Design

Jason Hickman
02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Driver preparation is very simple. Get them lots and lots of seat time, and just when you think they have had enough seat time, make them compete in high pressure situations. Then get them more seat time. A drivers driving ability is secondary to the driver's mindset the day of the race. If the driver is feeling pressured and uncomfortable, he will be more likely to make a mistake.

The drivers should be able to draw a very good representation of the track they are about to race, this not only helps with the drivers ability to recognize upcoming corners, but also mentally prepares them by calming them.

Drivers should not drink before the night of the race, unless they are going to be up all night, all excited and whatnot, then, maybe there is an argument. Being well rested is very important.

In the morning, go through your normal routine.

At the start of the race, when waiting in the staging area I usually tried to relax my drivers, in an attempt to take their mind off the task at hand. When they go out onto the track, they should just be going through the motions.

Physical conditioning is not all that important... I mean, they have to be in some reasonable shape, but we are not running a 6 hour endurance race.. were talking 12 to 15 minutes in the car. Again, the driver's attitude will govern his performance. If he is relaxed he will not be pushing his own body as hard, and will likely be more aware of his surroundings... Of course by relaxed, I am talking state of mind, your heartbeat is not going to be 60 bpm, it'll be up there.

Anyway, just get your drivers used to driving, and they will do well. Also, selecting guys with the personality traits of a "driver" will be the biggest performance advantage you can have.

Patrick W. Crane
04-12-2003, 01:47 AM
I can't really say what is best for others, but for me, when i am preparing to race, whether it's a 911 or a kart, i like to walk the tack and imagine what it will be like in whatever car i am driving. I mean really think about it; where the weight is shifting, which wheels have the most grip and where in the corner, where to turn in and track out, where to apex, when to get back on the gas, whether or not there is anything that would disrupt the handling of the car... basically everything that you don't have time to do when you are at full speed. I find it gives me more confidence on my out lap and that i make fewer silly mistakes because i am thinking about one thing while doing another.

As for food and sleep and such, the less tired i am the better. I realise that circumstances in Detroit don't really encourage lots of sleep, but the more the merrier. For food, a good breakfast that is high in carbs and i try and avoid dairy as it is difficult for your body to digest. Water is by far the best thing to drink; i just don't drink so much that I need to take a leak while in the car.

Physical fitness is always a plus as it makes everything that much easier to do. I find that when i am fit i don't think about the effort that driving takes and i can focus on the task at hand.

Driving is like everything else we do. The more we do it, the better we get. It doesn't even matter what you are driving, or even doing. Think about lines. On a bike, with the shopping cart, as you walk, in van on the way to Detroit, whatever. You don't need to be at speed to be practicing your driving. If you have never taken a driving course, take one. It doesn't even really matter which one. Unless you are doing an FSAE specific course you are just going to learn the basics that apply to all racing anyway. Sure some will be better than others, but racing is racing, the goal is still the same. Also, drive anything and everything you can get your hands on. You don't have a suitable car for the local auto cross, but have an old Ford Ranger sitting around?... Autocross it! Even if it's the slowest thing out there you are still going to have a blast and learn at the same time.

One last thing.
Enjoy it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
If you are not having fun while you are racing, you are doing it all wrong.

See you all in Detroit soon
Cheers

-Winston

Benjamin
11-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Check out a couple of good books entitled Speed Secrets and Inner Speed Secrets, both by Bentley and the second also by Langford. The first book gives a basic (and not so basic) idea of finding the right lines, being smooth and throttle control, things of that sort, and the second give mental techniques to improve concentration and performance. I have only read bits and pieces of both, but plan on reading them through once our car nears completeion for this season, maybe before.
Best of Luck,
Benjamin Reeves

fade
02-14-2004, 04:41 PM
playstation driving game http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sam Zimmerman
03-25-2004, 11:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Benjamin:
Check out a couple of good books entitled Speed Secrets and Inner Speed Secrets, both by Bentley and the second also by Langford. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have read the second and liked it. I don't know if it made me a better driver or not, but I still liked it. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Homemade WRX
04-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Of course as it has been said about a thousand times...seat time is probably the most important for prepping...but being that isn't the question he asked...I would say good sleep, and having a relaxed state of mind...keeping muscles loose, drinking water and eating right...outside of the day of, I would say seat time (duh) and autocross experience since that is the only style of course.

mx6_shifty
04-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Forget track testing, driver time, relaxation blah, blah, blah... Before the race, get the drivers to listen to 'Eye of The Tiger'. Survivor were a one hit wonder, but that's one hell of a pre race song. Guartanteed pick up of 2 seconds per lap.

AndyPate
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Confindence and natural ability are the key, the rest is insignificant in comparison .... Apart from Scooter1s Logical Song of course played at high volume while being strapped into the car.

Wilso
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Natural ability? Hah! Sure some have it and can pull super quick laps but that's not the "key". Our drivers are not racers at all, in fact we drive trucks and SUV's as DD's but with enough seat time I think we'll be at least competitive. (Maybe not with that guy from A&M, you know the one) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

D J Yates
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
As a first year team we were lucky that only one of out drivers got 5 mins of seat time before heading to the competition. An inability to follow a schedule and numerous failing components put pay to all of our efforts at testing. The other three drivers first drive was 3-4 mins on the practice area before heading off to events. Infact, I spent more time on the toilet seat than in the seat of the car. Seat time definately equals confidence, stuttering onto the autocross having never locked a wheel or had the back out is not very reasuring. Fortuneatly for us though, the relationship between seat time and performance isn't linear.

Racingchef
09-16-2004, 02:56 PM
The best way to prepare for the enduro?

Give them one or more good German beers!
Don't think, just drive the race.
Vin did't have sex this year, did he? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Seriously: Every driver has its own way to prepare for the enduro. There's no special secret recipe for it. I remember the RMIT driver at Formula Student 2004 was just burping prior the enduro.
So, let it flow....

Jan
team captain (England 2002,2004; Australia 2002; USA 2004)
University of Stralsund

BryanH
09-17-2004, 06:52 AM
In joke but but very funny post. I have just endured Rotors little sister burping throughout the AFL plim. final (football).Our team Port Adelaide won by 1 goal.
Grand Final next week

vinHonda
09-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Boy, it's been a while since I've posted on this thing.

Indeed, at FS2004, I did not have sex before the enduro!..... I don't think it woulda helped find that extra second we were off the pace from Mark though! I have no idea where that kid gets his speed from...must be the vast experience and talent. Cause I was lapping consistently quick, but no match for Mark.

Jaguar is selling their F1 team, Big Bird, care to start an FSAE All-Star lineup and buy out Jag??!!

Cheers,

Vinh

Denny Trimble
09-17-2004, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jaguar is selling their F1 team, Big Bird, care to start an FSAE All-Star lineup and buy out Jag??!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got some student loans that could be diverted to buy... a used wheel, perhaps.

BryanH
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Jan, true story.
Gerhard Berger would have a shot of Schnapps before the start of an F1 race!

Many years ago I tried driving a kart after 1 beer, I felt like I was 30 metres behind the action. Riggsy couldn't complete a lap without at least one spin but seem to remember he had 2 beers and weighed around 65kg.
Driver Prep? Simple. Find the Tardis, go back in time to age 5 and start Karting. And make sure both of your parents raced.
Bryan H

Racingchef
09-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Jan, true story.
Gerhard Berger would have a shot of Schnapps before the start of an F1 race!

Bryan, I needed some of them during the endurance because of my own excitement.
Alcohol directly prior the race makes you slow. (tested on German "Autobahn" http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Jan
Alumni
University of Stralsund

Big Bird
09-28-2004, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vinHonda:
Boy, it's been a while since I've posted on this thing.

Indeed, at FS2004, I did not have sex before the enduro!..... I don't think it woulda helped find that extra second we were off the pace from Mark though! I have no idea where that kid gets his speed from...must be the vast experience and talent. Cause I was lapping consistently quick, but no match for Mark.

Jaguar is selling their F1 team, Big Bird, care to start an FSAE All-Star lineup and buy out Jag??!!

Cheers,

Vinh <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, what a cool idea. I had ideas about working in F1 one day, but what the heck, let's buy a team. Who's up for the first single cylinder F1 car?? They'll eat us on the straights, but we'll kill them on fuel economy http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And Vinh, I think you've finally stumbled upon the secret to our success. Pre-event abstinence all round at RMIT - but that's more to do with our haircuts and lack of social skills than any planning. Hey, if it works....

Cheers,