PDA

View Full Version : What E-management system are you using

karter
01-19-2003, 06:57 PM
One of these? A different one? How do you like it?
Simple Digital Systems
Electromotive TEC-II, TEC-III
Haltech
Magnetec
MegaSquirt
Walbro
Performance Electronics
MoTec
Hilborn
Kinsler
Enderle
Lucas
Holly

karter
01-19-2003, 06:57 PM
One of these? A different one? How do you like it?
Simple Digital Systems
Electromotive TEC-II, TEC-III
Haltech
Magnetec
MegaSquirt
Walbro
Performance Electronics
MoTec
Hilborn
Kinsler
Enderle
Lucas
Holly

J. Schmidt
10-20-2004, 08:18 PM
This is an old post, but I've got the same questions.

Some people have suggested to me that we switch to a Megasquirt, possibly with a Megajolt for ignition. We're not running traction control, launch control, data logging, etc, just the basics. Our current ECU is a Haltech E6K...kind of outdated but it runs the car (needs to be tuned bad). I know there are teams that run MoTec, Walbro, Electromotive...

I'm not too keen on the "build it yourself" idea of the Megasquirt (we do have an EE on the team though), would the $200 be worth it?

alfordda
10-21-2004, 04:39 AM
We've been using Performace Electronics controllers for about 6 years now, so I don't know what anything else is like, plus the engine is the part of our car I know the least about. But I have played around sometimes when we cant get the car started, and it is very easy to learn how to use. I think it is around $800. Their customer support is so good, that I can't really say enough about it. They are all ex-FSAE'ers, so they know what its like, and are more than willing to go the extra mile to help.

RickyRacer
10-21-2004, 02:32 PM
You should add AEM to that list. We have ran SDS for the first 2 years and Motec that past 2 years and we are 95% sure that we will switch to AEM this year.
Ricky
Long Beach

Scott M.
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
The AEM system has been pretty quiet up to this point so I can see why it missed the list. One team ran it in '03 and 7 in '04. Highest overall finisher was Penn State.
New for '05 is a smaller enclosure with available built in UEGO O2 sensor amplifier.
The system is currently provided with base maps to be as close to plug and play as possible for a resticted F4i.
link to more info (http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=763607348&f=412600868&m=7006028511)

Trans Am
10-25-2004, 01:02 PM
here at the University of Wisconsin we use a Mototron controller. It's very nice and robust.

www.mototron.com (http://www.mototron.com)

DanO
10-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Lawrence Tech uses MoTec

Depending on which car we use the M400 and the M800

I like them alot but they do cost $$$. I havnt found one i like better yet. but if you looking to do well in the cost presentation, look elsewhere.

Angry Joe
10-25-2004, 07:37 PM
We used Haltech. That piece of shit made me very angry. Since then Lehigh's been using Performance Electronics, which works much better...

DanO
10-25-2004, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Angry Joe:
We used Haltech. That piece of shit made me very angry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard that quite often

Dave B.
10-26-2004, 09:38 AM
so I guess engineering engine manangement isn't really considered to be part of FSAE then eh?

edit: I say this because I see everyone using off-the-shelf solutions, as opposed to designing engine management tools themselves. The design time is huge, but the cost is relatively small compared with any of the standalones mentioned in this thread. Plus, engineering a system from the ground up can provide a lot of benefits. I'm familiar with DFI, Haltech, AEM, Megasquirt/MSAVR, and all of them have rather serious shortcomings compared to the cutting edge. I've not used a Motec, so I can't really say anything about them... In any case, even the aftermarket hasn't really caught up with the research being done in this field. Things like ion sensing ignition system, DSP-based acoustic knock sensor processing, wheelsensor traction/active braking control, CAN communication among modules are for the most part absent from all the major systems, and could provide quite a competitve edge.

Angry Joe
10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
I know of at least a couple schools that do their own engine management. You need to be at a pretty high level of development to justify it though.

Chase
10-26-2004, 11:36 AM
doesn't cornell make theirs?...

Dave B.
10-26-2004, 01:24 PM
that's my interest... I'm thinking of volunteering for the University of Cincinnati FSAE stuff because it sounds fun. I'm an engineering dropout but I've thought seriously about finishing my (non-engineering) degree lately... I've been doing a lot of work tuning performance cars and reverse engineering/re-engineering OEM engine computers lately. I'd like to get involved, but it's not going to be on the MechE side that I'd be helpful.

Matt Gignac
10-26-2004, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chase:
doesn't cornell make theirs?... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, Cornell does.

So does McGill, and it's taken several years to get it to where it is now (a few minor bugs, but nothing as in the past)