PDA

View Full Version : Ricardo Powertrain Award info

PS
02-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to get some info from anybody who has competed before for the Ricardo Powertrain Award. I've read what they ask you to do on the SAE website, but I would like to get some information from people who actually competed in it.

The questions I have are:

1)what are the most common questions the judges ask you?

2)what info do they ask you for ex. dyno curves, simulation results, drawings etc.?

3)Is there anything in particular they are interested in for example; intake and exhaust design, internal mods, turbo design, drivetrain etc.?

I know some of these questions depend on the judges, but it would be interesting to have an idea on what they expect from you.

Thanks.

Peter.

PS
02-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to get some info from anybody who has competed before for the Ricardo Powertrain Award. I've read what they ask you to do on the SAE website, but I would like to get some information from people who actually competed in it.

The questions I have are:

1)what are the most common questions the judges ask you?

2)what info do they ask you for ex. dyno curves, simulation results, drawings etc.?

3)Is there anything in particular they are interested in for example; intake and exhaust design, internal mods, turbo design, drivetrain etc.?

I know some of these questions depend on the judges, but it would be interesting to have an idea on what they expect from you.

Thanks.

Peter.

Charlie
02-05-2003, 12:24 PM
I submitted a Ricardo Powertrain Award report last year. Your questions are really too vague to be answered. They are very thorough and knowledgable people, there are many of them (I think 5-6 last year, a little overwhelming), and what they ask depends on your report. They will ask for clarifications of what you wrote in your report, they will ask you what, if anything, has changed since your report submission. They'll probably concentrate on the parts of your powertrain that your report they consider was lacking proper info, and also about any unusal methods or unorthodox parts of your powertrain (good or bad).

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

PS
02-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Charlie,

Thanks for the info.

Peter.