PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Specifications

ben
11-06-2002, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if I could get some views on an idea I heard the other day regarding tyre specs?

It was suggested to me that some teams run cross-ply tyres at the rear and radials at the front.

My initial reaction was to shitcan the idea, but I guess a radial is more tolerant of negative camber, which we want to run at the front. Whereas the stiffer cross-ply may be more efficient at putting the power down without flexing too much at the rear?

I'm really not sure on this and would be interested to hear from anyone who's tried it.

Ben Michell
UBRacing Vehicle Dynamics Group

ben
11-06-2002, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if I could get some views on an idea I heard the other day regarding tyre specs?

It was suggested to me that some teams run cross-ply tyres at the rear and radials at the front.

My initial reaction was to shitcan the idea, but I guess a radial is more tolerant of negative camber, which we want to run at the front. Whereas the stiffer cross-ply may be more efficient at putting the power down without flexing too much at the rear?

I'm really not sure on this and would be interested to hear from anyone who's tried it.

Ben Michell
UBRacing Vehicle Dynamics Group

Schumi_Jr
11-07-2002, 12:45 PM
I can see one problem... For this car to achieve maximum cornering force it would need to see some pretty high yaw angles for the rears to produce any grip (low cornering stiffness cross-ply rears). The fronts meanwhile would see maximum grip at relatively low steering angles (high cornering stiffness radials). This car may be fast, but it would probably oversteer like hell

Aaron Johnston
UW FSAE

[This message was edited by Schumi_Jr on November 07, 2002 at 10:52 PM.]

ben
11-10-2002, 10:50 AM
That is a very good point - and the rather obvious one that I've missed.

I think consigning this one to the shitcan is probably best :-)

Ben