PDA

View Full Version : Venezuelan Situation

Alfonso Ochoa
01-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone.
First of all I would like to give a really big thanks to all of you for all your concern about Venezuelan situation, it's really motivating to see all your thoughts about it and how well informed you are taking into account that you can not be aware of every detail since you are not here.
Second, I would like to apologize about introducing the political topic into the forum. At the homepage (fsae.com) there's a section for "OFF TOPIC" discussions, I'll put this post there to continue the discussion in that section.
Another thing, Scott & Roan, you are not killing the mood you are just giving your point of view of a political situation and lets remember these stuffs are just too subjective and we have to respect all point of views. Nowadays, I am so clear that to hear and to be heard is the main key point in Democracy
With my next words I'm not trying to convince anybody that I have the truth or the reason, I just want to give you guys an explanation from the inside of the events.
I read the article Scott & Roan recommend us and believe me guys, I was just so pissed off. And then I could understand why you (Scott & Roan) have that thoughts or questions.
I'll begin by saying that I think all the exterior policy (international) of the opposition has been managed terribly bad. The whole relations with the foreign reporters has been erroneous from the beginning and that have helped the strike hasn't had the international support it deserves. Right now I remember a CNN reporter (Whitheker) reporting lies in this TV channel, and believe me, we see one thing here and he reports another alive on CNN, so it makes me feel a little disappointed about the well managing of the information, and I realized how damage you can create when you change the events just to satisfied a side of the problem. I recommend you to visit this website: www.vcrisis.com (http://www.vcrisis.com) .
It is true that Chávez was elected, and yes, three times. But, why wouldn't he be elected a forth time? On November, we recollected the necessary firms to convoke a referendum to go elections on February 2nd, all this based on the constitution, and when the Elections National Committee (CNE) approved that there were all the requirements done, Chavez decided that won't be any Referendum giving some excuses like one of the votes in the CNE was not valid and disrespecting the decisions of it and our democratic right to call for a referendum as is well said in the constitution.
Is Chavez a dictator? He is not a declared dictator, that's clear. But as well said Brent, the fact that he has been elected three times doesn't mean he's not, and what better example than Hitler. Now, he doesn't have to declare himself as a dictator to act like he was, Chavez don't respect the institutions of the country. By November the Metropolitan Police was taken its autonomy off and taken by the military forces. He didn't respect the decision of the CNE about the referendum. He has used so many times the National Guard to dissolve manifestations and marches of the opposition when it is clear mentioned in the constitution that a pacific civil protest can't be dissolve by this institution. And I haven't mentioned the hate transmitted in his political message. Any time Chavez talk in TV his transmitting a message of hate, repression and division between the Venezuelan people of different classes. He's always talking, as the reporter talked in the cited article, of the low class and poor people and in the other hand the rich, wealthy oligarchy of the higher classes. And in my point of view that's been the worst damage Chavez has done to the Venezuelan society, the big hurt of dividing us as Venezuelans and turning us against each other. You can destroy the economy of the country, you can have wrong political decisions or strategies, but you can't lie and manipulate a population injecting them with hate and envy about his neighbors and Venezuelan partners just to get your selfish ambitious done. And I can go on mentioning more and more reasons why Chavez can be considered a dictator as I said, and we can consider it is not a crazy idea knowing that his big friend and assessor is the communist Cuban Fidel Castro, but let me make this a little bit shorter.
Is the strike coming from the top of the society classes, the riches as Mark Weisbrot says? This is not true at all. I said very clearly every little shop or restaurant or commerce local that supported the strike is added to it, that means they are not working. By the first week of the strike, it was considered 80% successful and Chavez and his Ministers or the Vice-President Rangel appeared on TV saying there was no strike, that it was like 15 % successful. Of course this has turned down because a lot of little shops or locals have opened half time so they won't fall into bankruptcy. Another thing, in the website I recommended some words before you can see some pictures of marches of the opposition, watch them, and if you think all those persons are riches you should come to Venezuela.
How can we build a F-SAE car when 80 % of the Venezuelan population is in poverty? The Universidad Simon Bolivar is a public school and right now as many other institutions in the country it's going through a really hard economic and institutional situation. We in the F-SAE USB Team don't receive any economic help form the University funds. All our budget is covered by private companies that decide to support the team for its academic or publicity importance, and many of them are transnational companies like Schlumberger, Citgo, Bosch, etc. And you have to think this is part of education and you can't simply quit to it because of the hard political and economical situation your country is passing by.
Well, thank you again for all your thoughts, hope I answer and clarify some points, and you can expect some other posts form other guys of the team supporting my ideas.
You can email me directly for any other question or discussion if you want. I'll be glad to shared my ideas with any of you.
You can also read this article:

http://www2.theclarionnews.com/Opinions/9322.shtml

Alfonso Ochoa Vega
cabezota311@hotmail.com

Alfonso Ochoa
01-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone.
First of all I would like to give a really big thanks to all of you for all your concern about Venezuelan situation, it's really motivating to see all your thoughts about it and how well informed you are taking into account that you can not be aware of every detail since you are not here.
Second, I would like to apologize about introducing the political topic into the forum. At the homepage (fsae.com) there's a section for "OFF TOPIC" discussions, I'll put this post there to continue the discussion in that section.
Another thing, Scott & Roan, you are not killing the mood you are just giving your point of view of a political situation and lets remember these stuffs are just too subjective and we have to respect all point of views. Nowadays, I am so clear that to hear and to be heard is the main key point in Democracy
With my next words I'm not trying to convince anybody that I have the truth or the reason, I just want to give you guys an explanation from the inside of the events.
I read the article Scott & Roan recommend us and believe me guys, I was just so pissed off. And then I could understand why you (Scott & Roan) have that thoughts or questions.
I'll begin by saying that I think all the exterior policy (international) of the opposition has been managed terribly bad. The whole relations with the foreign reporters has been erroneous from the beginning and that have helped the strike hasn't had the international support it deserves. Right now I remember a CNN reporter (Whitheker) reporting lies in this TV channel, and believe me, we see one thing here and he reports another alive on CNN, so it makes me feel a little disappointed about the well managing of the information, and I realized how damage you can create when you change the events just to satisfied a side of the problem. I recommend you to visit this website: www.vcrisis.com (http://www.vcrisis.com) .
It is true that Chávez was elected, and yes, three times. But, why wouldn't he be elected a forth time? On November, we recollected the necessary firms to convoke a referendum to go elections on February 2nd, all this based on the constitution, and when the Elections National Committee (CNE) approved that there were all the requirements done, Chavez decided that won't be any Referendum giving some excuses like one of the votes in the CNE was not valid and disrespecting the decisions of it and our democratic right to call for a referendum as is well said in the constitution.
Is Chavez a dictator? He is not a declared dictator, that's clear. But as well said Brent, the fact that he has been elected three times doesn't mean he's not, and what better example than Hitler. Now, he doesn't have to declare himself as a dictator to act like he was, Chavez don't respect the institutions of the country. By November the Metropolitan Police was taken its autonomy off and taken by the military forces. He didn't respect the decision of the CNE about the referendum. He has used so many times the National Guard to dissolve manifestations and marches of the opposition when it is clear mentioned in the constitution that a pacific civil protest can't be dissolve by this institution. And I haven't mentioned the hate transmitted in his political message. Any time Chavez talk in TV his transmitting a message of hate, repression and division between the Venezuelan people of different classes. He's always talking, as the reporter talked in the cited article, of the low class and poor people and in the other hand the rich, wealthy oligarchy of the higher classes. And in my point of view that's been the worst damage Chavez has done to the Venezuelan society, the big hurt of dividing us as Venezuelans and turning us against each other. You can destroy the economy of the country, you can have wrong political decisions or strategies, but you can't lie and manipulate a population injecting them with hate and envy about his neighbors and Venezuelan partners just to get your selfish ambitious done. And I can go on mentioning more and more reasons why Chavez can be considered a dictator as I said, and we can consider it is not a crazy idea knowing that his big friend and assessor is the communist Cuban Fidel Castro, but let me make this a little bit shorter.
Is the strike coming from the top of the society classes, the riches as Mark Weisbrot says? This is not true at all. I said very clearly every little shop or restaurant or commerce local that supported the strike is added to it, that means they are not working. By the first week of the strike, it was considered 80% successful and Chavez and his Ministers or the Vice-President Rangel appeared on TV saying there was no strike, that it was like 15 % successful. Of course this has turned down because a lot of little shops or locals have opened half time so they won't fall into bankruptcy. Another thing, in the website I recommended some words before you can see some pictures of marches of the opposition, watch them, and if you think all those persons are riches you should come to Venezuela.
How can we build a F-SAE car when 80 % of the Venezuelan population is in poverty? The Universidad Simon Bolivar is a public school and right now as many other institutions in the country it's going through a really hard economic and institutional situation. We in the F-SAE USB Team don't receive any economic help form the University funds. All our budget is covered by private companies that decide to support the team for its academic or publicity importance, and many of them are transnational companies like Schlumberger, Citgo, Bosch, etc. And you have to think this is part of education and you can't simply quit to it because of the hard political and economical situation your country is passing by.
Well, thank you again for all your thoughts, hope I answer and clarify some points, and you can expect some other posts form other guys of the team supporting my ideas.
You can email me directly for any other question or discussion if you want. I'll be glad to shared my ideas with any of you.
You can also read this article:

http://www2.theclarionnews.com/Opinions/9322.shtml

Alfonso Ochoa Vega
cabezota311@hotmail.com