PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Lubrication

ben
02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Would anyone care to talk about their lubrication setups for turbos?

We're currently running the engine on the dyno and getting a lot of oil pooling in the turbo. We've increased the drain line size to about twice the diameter of the feed line but it's still pissing a bit.

All suggestions welcome.

Ben
UBRacing.co.uk

ben
02-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Would anyone care to talk about their lubrication setups for turbos?

We're currently running the engine on the dyno and getting a lot of oil pooling in the turbo. We've increased the drain line size to about twice the diameter of the feed line but it's still pissing a bit.

All suggestions welcome.

Ben
UBRacing.co.uk

acracker
02-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Is the oil main in the turbo mounted vertical up and down? Even if it is off axis a little bit, the oil will not drain properly. Make sure your drain back into the crankcase is above the full oil line and is out of the way of oil splash from rotating parts like the clutch. Make sure your crankcase is properly vented (if you have a PCV valve make sure its working) so the oil is not trying to drain into a pressurized area.

I'm working on a turbo system of my own using a Suzuki engine, what are you working with?

ben
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
The oil feed runs pretty vertically, I'll mention the fact that it should be absolutely vertical to our engine guy.

We're turboing a CBR600 Fx with a turbo Garrett donated last year. I don't know the spec I'm afraid.

Ben

cheezoto(OU-FSAE)
03-01-2003, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We're currently running the engine on the dyno and getting a lot of oil pooling in the turbo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean you have oil pooling in the compressor and exhaust housing? If so you have leaky turbo seals, the seals go bad over time and they could have also been damaged if you dident have a sufficent size drain tube.

Also turbos dont require tons of oil, most turbos come with a restrictor at the oil inlet so you dont build up too much pressure and blow the seals out.

If the turbo is used or has been rebuilt i would think the oil seals are bad. Check for shaft play. Lightly grab the nut on the compressor wheel, you shouldent be able to move the shaft up and down more than a 1/16" check side to side movement and also in and out play.

The passenger side turbo on my 300zx was so worn that the compressor wheel was actually scraping the housing, causing a terrible whine under boost, but thats ok i replaced them with bigger ones http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

University of Oklahoma
FSAE Vice President
FSAE Engine Systems Leader