PDA

View Full Version : Q for participants of Road and Track Test at comp

David Money
11-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Our team is interested in using the Road and Track test track setup fom the competition and a few questions came up about the way it was done at the competition in May.

1.) How many times did the driver go around the skid pad (complete 360 deg revolutions)?

2.) When did the timing listed in the article stop during the run (entrance to skid pad, completition of skid pad)?

3.) What was the distance from the start to the 1st cone of the slalom (approximate)?

4.) How much time was spent in the stop box after the skid pad?

Thanks!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

David Money
11-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Our team is interested in using the Road and Track test track setup fom the competition and a few questions came up about the way it was done at the competition in May.

1.) How many times did the driver go around the skid pad (complete 360 deg revolutions)?

2.) When did the timing listed in the article stop during the run (entrance to skid pad, completition of skid pad)?

3.) What was the distance from the start to the 1st cone of the slalom (approximate)?

Thanks!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

David Money
11-07-2002, 12:28 PM
What did the teams that competed see for skid pad data? I ask because it wasn't published in the Road and Track article.

Thanks!

GIJoeCam
09-19-2003, 05:10 PM
They didn't publish the data in the 02 competition either. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

In '02 it was the overall elapsed time of the course that won, not the individual components. Not sure if/how they changed it for '03, but I'd like to see.

The stop box simply had to be stopped in. No set time, just as quickly as you could come to a stop and get moving again.

-Joe

2002 LTU FSAE Co-Leader
2002 LTU FSAE Brake System Engineer

GIJoeCam
09-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Oh almost forgot.. I never saw the trophy with our name engraved on it... Hopefully I will get a chance to see it as we were the inaugural winners! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Joe

2002 LTU FSAE Co-Leader
2002 LTU FSAE Brake System Engineer

UTA racer rikki
10-07-2003, 01:11 PM
We recieved a copy of the results from R&T from the segmented parts. Overall, Michigan State won the event. They still base it on overall time instead of the total segmented time.

Here's what I got:

Total Time:
Michigan State 32.5 s
UTA 33.7 s
Texas A&M 34.7 s
U of Washington 34.9 s
UMC na

Acceleration: 0-60 mph
Michigan State 3.6 s
UT Arlington 4.4 s
Texas A&M 3.8 s
U of Washington 4.0 s
UMC na

Braking: 60-0 mph
Michigan State 96 ft
UTA 97 ft
Texas A&M 95 ft
U of Washington 98 ft
UMC na

Slalom:
Michigan State 37.6 mph
UTA 45.2 mph
Texas A&M 40.0 mph
U of Washington 39.6 mph
UMC na

Skidpad:
Michigan State 1.23 g's
UTA 1.27 g's
Texas A&M 1.23 g's
U of Washington 1.13 g's
UMC na

I don't have any of the info from 2002 competition, but I hope this answers some of the questions.

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '??)

UTA racer rikki
10-07-2003, 01:22 PM

You enter the skidpad from the slalom and go around 1.5 times. Basicly, they tripped a light on the back quadrant of the skidpad and you drive completely around, then exit to a stop box.

The timing was just for one lap of the skidpad. Total time ran from start of the slalom to completely stopped after the 0-60-0.

The data we have says 350 ft Slalom. I think it is 6 cones?

The time spent in the stop box was added to your total time. It was driver dependent and not a fixed amount of time. The requirements were that you come to a complete stop before starting the 0-60-0 test.

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '??)

t-pod
10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
The Road & Track mag with the FSAE article is out now. It's the November issue with the Lotus Elise on the cover.

UTA racer rikki
10-13-2003, 08:05 PM
t-pod,

yeah, I made the post and got home later to read the article. I felt kinda sheepish after the post.

- Erick

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '??)

V2 - Italy
10-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Is it possible to have this track map?

Thanks

Daniele

Firenze Race Team V2

http://www.firenzerace.too.it

DUCATI POWER at the UniversitÃ* di Firenze

UTA racer rikki
10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
V2,

Go to RoadandTrack.com and search for "Formula SAE" in their search bar. You will see two articles pop up. I think there is a cartoonish track map there.

- Erick

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '??)

A Reinke
10-27-2003, 04:30 AM
anyone else think R&T should open this up to all the teams? i understand they pick the fastest cars out of the autocross, right? but it would be cool for other schools to have a chance to see what their car can do in the test.

it only takes 40 seconds too...

Matt Ahl
10-27-2003, 09:52 AM
R&T picks the 5 cars with the best combined score from autocross, acceleration, and skidpad.

MercerFSAE C. Burch
10-27-2003, 10:09 AM
If R&T allowed more teams to participate, it would definitley give the competing teams and the event more press exposure. University management would appreciate that when signing checks to build the car.

Chris
Bear Motorsports
Mercer FSAE

Charlie
10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
The competition is held Sunday morning, before the awards banquet. Allowing all teams to participate would be impossible, and seeing as they aren't even giving 2 full pages in the article to begin with, it wouldn't mean more press exposure either.

It would be nice to see maybe 10 cars, but that's about it. Even though we've never made it, I do like thier selection process.

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE (http://eng.auburn.edu/organizations/SAE/AUFSAE)
5th Overall Detroit 2003
? Overall Aussie 2003. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A Reinke
10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Charlie, i wasn't saying every teams results should be published...maybe the top 20? but it would be nice to compare numbers to each, other then the dynamic events we run at competition. the events do test the car's performance, but its not tested the same as most people relate to cars performance. skidpad, 0-60, braking, etc.

~Adam

Matt Ahl
10-29-2003, 09:59 AM
The event is unorganized as it is. They barely explained what was going on or wha the drivers were supposed to do. I don't think R&T would want to spend the time to organize an event larger than it already is.

albino_insect
10-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I think that magazines other than R&T should be doing tests like R&T's. Grassroots Motorsports Magazine seems like it would have a perfect reader base for such a test. It would also be a good reader base for the kind of sponsors FSAE cars generally have. I would also like to see a comparison test where teams are allowed to take off the restrictors.