PDA

View Full Version : Solid-State Ignition Help/Questions

Adrienne
02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Our team is looking at using a solid-state ignition for next year. I looked in the rules, and didn't see anything prehibiting the use of solid-state ignition. Despite my research on the topic, I have not been able to determine if this replaces the distributor, or attaches to it. Will our ECU have to be able to account for the solid-state ignition, or is that completely seperate. Any and all help/info/etc. on this topic would be much appreciated.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
02-27-2003, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Our team is looking at using a solid-state ignition for next year. I looked in the rules, and didn't see anything prehibiting the use of solid-state ignition. Despite my research on the topic, I have not been able to determine if this replaces the distributor, or attaches to it. Will our ECU have to be able to account for the solid-state ignition, or is that completely seperate. Any and all help/info/etc. on this topic would be much appreciated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Solid state ignition is a very broad term usually used to describe the use of electronic components to fire the coil(s) rather than the old fashioned points system. All modern engines rely on some sort of solid state ignition. This type of ignition system can either be used in conjuction with or instead of a distributor (like a wasted spark or coil-on-plug system).

Brian Lewis
Performance Electronics, Ltd.
www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)
"$760 Complete Engine Management Systems"