PDA

View Full Version : New 'SAE Official' FSAE Forum

Sleeque
11-20-2002, 02:07 AM
I see that the SAE have started their own Forum for SAE. The old listserver hosted by Georgia Tech is now dead, so I guess the official notices had to go somewhere, seeing as the SAE do not recognise this site. Why do I sense some aggro? Why have the SAE had to start yet another Forum?

Slan leat
Sleeque

[This message was edited by Admin on November 20, 2002 at 12:51 PM.]

tebsr
11-20-2002, 09:37 AM
I agree. www.fsae.com (http://www.fsae.com) is a great forum! Great information and you can talk to those people that are interested in your problems or ideas, unlike the list serve. SAE was too slow getting onboard.

Michael Jones
11-22-2002, 11:03 AM
...who runs fsae.com? It is a valuable service, esp. given the demise of the FSAE list.

Not sure why lists can't be rationalized into a common community...probably just good old fashioned administrative politics, with two organziations coming up with similar ideas simultaneously and each refusing to acknowledge the benefits of folding one into the other.

Dominic Venieri
11-22-2002, 02:44 PM
I like the fsae.com forums. Anyone who does anything on the internet recognizes the PHP BB forum (what this one is) as being one of the best styles out there. They are easy to set up and customize, easy to manage, and whats more important - easy to use and navigate.

On the other hand, we take a look at the forum that SAE has set up. I remember forums like that about 10 years when I first started using the internet.

It would be great if the folks at SAE would recongize this forum and use it. Either that, or make one just like it themselves. Obviously the owner of this site is not getting anything financial out of this - It's ad free. The popularity of this site speaks for itself. We've got students, judges, faculty, alumni, and industry members all together sharing ideas and thoughts.

A forum beats the email list hands down, but only if done properly. I always used to check the list archives at escribe.com, and if a topic was worth commenting on, I would check the mail account I set up to handle the list posts.

But a forum allows you to look back easier, creating a knowledge base for everyone to share.

My hat is off to the creater and users of this site. Now we need to get SAE on board.

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

James Waltman
11-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Dominic,
You beat me to it – I was going to post with about the exact same things that you did. I second everything you said. One other disadvantage of the SAE board is that it does not support Netscape Navigator 7.0, which I use at home so I have to check it at school (a drag).

The only real advantage is that they get to post official announcements.

Is there a way to find out how many people are registered here and/or visit this site?

James Waltman
waltmaj@cc.wwu.edu
Formula SAE
Vehicle Research Institute at
Western Washington University

Dominic Venieri
11-23-2002, 09:00 AM
» FSAE.com Forums
Registered Members: 356

On the main forum page, in the upper right hand corner, you'll find that statistic.

I really hope SAE didn't pay a lot of money for to develop that forum, not when a forum like this one is free to download /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

tommy
11-24-2002, 08:54 PM
can someone link me to the official forum? thanks

Nazim
11-25-2002, 12:25 AM
i seriously think that the official from the SAE should collaborate with the admin of FSAE.com rather than working against it.

the students involve in FSAE have already encountered enough university politics, i dont think we need politics involvement just for a forum.

As a matter of fact, the SAE official should've sent the admin of FSAE.com a thank you note for helping out in promoting the FSAE. It's not like the admin is getting paid for this and probably he or she is using pocket money to pay for this FSAE.com domain.

To the admin of FSAE.com, instead of getting a team profile (which i think is a good idea), why dont we have a volunteer to do an article on certain school. If you have somebody else do an article on a team, im sure the article would be more interesting and exciting than having the team members to do an article on their own car.

And then we can do like a FEATURED CAR OF THE MONTH, kinda like CAR&DRIVER style where they have all these illustrated graphics and tables of the car's profile.

FSAE.com is a good site but im hoping somebody with a great knowledge in photoshop and art, would contribute in helping the site look better.

jangan bosakan kengkawan ...

[This message was edited by Admin on November 25, 2002 at 10:10 AM.]

[This message was edited by Admin on November 25, 2002 at 10:11 AM.]

imported_admin
11-25-2002, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback and comments regarding the forums here at FSAE.com! As you can see, we've edited a few posts. We have simply removed links to competing forums. We have communicated our intent to work with SAE in developing this site but were met with silence and an attempt to establish discussion elsewhere. Maybe in the future, we'll be able to get some official support for FSAE.com. FSAE.com is owned and operated by brothers, Ennis Bragg and Ira Bragg. We are both alumni of FSAE and Georgia Tech.

We have indeed spent our own money to create this site including the costly purchase of the domain name from an independent broker. But, we felt it was long overdue and that it would be a fun project. Like many of you, we spent most of our college careers designing, building, and racing Formula SAE cars and have a strong desire to support the continuation of all FSAE competition. We plan to slowly grow the site and improve its content. So far, we've been thrilled with the results. The quantity and quality of discussions here at FSAE.com have been excellent and will continue to be for a long time!

wingman
11-25-2002, 10:26 AM
Many thanks to the brothers Bragg. This forum is a wonderful tribute to the purpose and legacy of FSAE and the sharing of information, ideas, and knowledge.

Why SAE is being so tight about recognition is beyond me, concidering this Ennis and Ira are obviously willing to discuss rectifying any legalities and are very focused on maintaining an objective information source on their own that will more than likely be better than anything that SAE can put out, given they will have to hire someone to do the job who most likely won't possess the passion, history and understanding of the benefits of the FSAE competition as the Bragg brothers do.

In a perfect world, the SAE organization could have offered there suport as a business arangement that funds this forum and in return requires that it maintains objectivity and the constraints defined by the SAE for legal reasons. Ultimately, it would cost the SAE less for a better service.

But hey, thats in a perfect world, and in the real world, I will continue to support this forum, and appreciate the comitment of the Bragg brothers.

Just my two cents of thanks......

Wingman

ben
11-25-2002, 01:56 PM
Great job guys. This is an excellent forum and beats the SAE's hands down for the quality of the board software and the discussion on it.

I do think it's a bit petty to remove links to competing forums. It's like capitalists who claim to be for free and open competition but actually want a communist monopoly (I now this will be edited off - but hey :-) )

Good job anyway guys, we all know where the SAE forum is but we ain't going there :-)

Ben

Michael Jones
11-25-2002, 05:02 PM
...well, I wouldn't ignore the SAE forums entirely. They do have one key advantage - official announcements. If you ignored it entirely, you'd probably miss information such as a recently posted rules clarification on bracing the front bulkhead. Needless to say, it's a worthwhile read.

Thanks to the Bragg bros. for the initiative. It is truly a superior forum.

I like the feature car/team of the week idea.

Henry Sommer
12-10-2002, 06:08 PM
It took 4 years and 500+ members before SAE started sending those anouncments to the FSAE mailing list.

To Ira and Ennis good job!