PDA

View Full Version : Rule Clarification

Arpit
01-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Hi

This is in reference to Rule No 3.5.4.3 ( Intake System Restrictor - Any device that has the ability to throttle the engine downstream of the restrictor is prohibited.)

I would like to know if a reed valve placed downstream of the throttle is objectionable.

Also can the fuel tank be placed under and extending behind the driver seat, separated by a firewall.

Thanx

Arpit Gupta
Defianz Racing
Delhi College Of Engineering

RaceCatt69
11-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Why do you want a reed valve downstream of the throttle? are you afraid of air sneaking back out after it goes into your manifold?

The answer to your second question is yes.

Jon Burford
11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Answer the question for yourself.
Could a reed valve throttle the engine? If so, you may not have it, although to be certain you should direct your question to the rules board of the event you are entering!

My memory of the fuel tank rule is that it's fine as long that it is separated from the driver by a firewall, so yes. again, rules board to clarify your specific design if you are concerned.

Bemo
11-19-2012, 01:18 AM
About the reed valve I can only give the same advice as Jon. Ask yourself what the intend of the rule is and if your design is violating it. In any case you should clarify this with the rules commitee of the competition you want to take part in. If scrutineers see a throttling device downstream the restrictor they will tend to call it illegal if it hasn't been allowed beforehand.

The solution for the position of the fuel tank is definitely ok. It is pretty common to put it under / rearwards of the seat. Make sure the firewall really seperates the tank completely from the driver department and also protects the driver harness. The rules give pretty good advice what has to be protected I think.

TMichaels
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Guys,
he asked that in 2003...

RobbyObby
11-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by TMichaels:
Guys,
he asked that in 2003...

I was wondering how long it was going to take them to realize that!

AxelRipper
11-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by TMichaels:
Guys,
he asked that in 2003...

Well, the question was relevant then wasn't it? I mean, reed valves were new technology in the 2 stroke world at the time, and those were legal then right? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif