PDA

View Full Version : Helpful stuff

MoTeC
03-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi guys Mark here,
I have been involved with race care for a few years now so I though if you guys were interested I would just slip in some advice when I can.

A couple of things I noticed at the race in Oz last year were that if anyone was having an engine problem they were not able to tell me some basic info to start with. Ok, fuel pressure at the rail should be displayed with a gauge, trust me this will save a heap of headaches and answer a lot of questions, it is one of the first things I will ask at the track. Second is what is the batery voltage at the ECU, injectors and ignition system. Next thing to look for is that the ECU is reading revs correctly when you are trying to start the engine, if it says 30000rpm then you have a sensor problem.

The thing to do is get in the habit of having more or less a quick logical check list for when it is 5min before you go out and the engine won't fire. There is nothing worse than having everyone running around like headless chickens and looking at 20 different things at once. Most importantly, if you have not changed the configuration in the ECU and the engine was running before 99.999% of the time something else is causing the problem....fuel pressure, voltage or sensor (check in that order).

Oh and if you have blown the intake manifold of the engine due to some sort of explosion....I cannot help you. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Donna

MoTeC
03-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi guys Mark here,
I have been involved with race care for a few years now so I though if you guys were interested I would just slip in some advice when I can.

A couple of things I noticed at the race in Oz last year were that if anyone was having an engine problem they were not able to tell me some basic info to start with. Ok, fuel pressure at the rail should be displayed with a gauge, trust me this will save a heap of headaches and answer a lot of questions, it is one of the first things I will ask at the track. Second is what is the batery voltage at the ECU, injectors and ignition system. Next thing to look for is that the ECU is reading revs correctly when you are trying to start the engine, if it says 30000rpm then you have a sensor problem.

The thing to do is get in the habit of having more or less a quick logical check list for when it is 5min before you go out and the engine won't fire. There is nothing worse than having everyone running around like headless chickens and looking at 20 different things at once. Most importantly, if you have not changed the configuration in the ECU and the engine was running before 99.999% of the time something else is causing the problem....fuel pressure, voltage or sensor (check in that order).

Oh and if you have blown the intake manifold of the engine due to some sort of explosion....I cannot help you. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Donna