PDA

View Full Version : Rules Questions Responses

Dominic Venieri
03-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I inquired to the SAE rules commitee on some rules topics that came up on the other forum, that were unanswered.

Answering questions asked by Charlie at Auburn and James at WWU here is what the SAE says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
March 1, 2003

Dominic Venieri...Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Re: Mirrors & Tires

Dear Dominic,

Your first question asked if a car without mirrors will pass technical inspection. Mirrors are not required if and only if the driver can demonstrate the required field of vision without the use of mirrors.

In order to check for driver visibility as required in paragraph 3.4.3.1, we offer the following. Position some object (perhaps a flash card) at an angle of 100 degrees off of the longitudinal (fore / aft) axis of the car, relative to the back of the driver's seat, at the height of a FSAE car, say 20 inches off of the ground and have the driver identify the object. Do this on either side of the car. The Driver needs to be properly seated (as in the dynamic events) with all safety equipment in-place.

As for question 2, you are not correct.

If a team, for whatever reason, has treaded tires for their "dry" tires, there is nothing to stop them using these same tires if the track is declared "wet", providing the tires have a minimum of 2.4 mm of tread depth (Section 3.2.2.(b) (ii) of the "Wet Weather Rules").

A treaded tire CAN be used throughout the competition.

Rules Committee,
FSAE <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

Dominic Venieri
03-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I inquired to the SAE rules commitee on some rules topics that came up on the other forum, that were unanswered.

Answering questions asked by Charlie at Auburn and James at WWU here is what the SAE says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
March 1, 2003

Dominic Venieri...Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Re: Mirrors & Tires

Dear Dominic,

Your first question asked if a car without mirrors will pass technical inspection. Mirrors are not required if and only if the driver can demonstrate the required field of vision without the use of mirrors.

In order to check for driver visibility as required in paragraph 3.4.3.1, we offer the following. Position some object (perhaps a flash card) at an angle of 100 degrees off of the longitudinal (fore / aft) axis of the car, relative to the back of the driver's seat, at the height of a FSAE car, say 20 inches off of the ground and have the driver identify the object. Do this on either side of the car. The Driver needs to be properly seated (as in the dynamic events) with all safety equipment in-place.

As for question 2, you are not correct.

If a team, for whatever reason, has treaded tires for their "dry" tires, there is nothing to stop them using these same tires if the track is declared "wet", providing the tires have a minimum of 2.4 mm of tread depth (Section 3.2.2.(b) (ii) of the "Wet Weather Rules").

A treaded tire CAN be used throughout the competition.

Rules Committee,
FSAE <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlie
03-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks. I did already use the official SAE email for rules inquiries and got a fast response. Seems the forums are no longer the place to ask rules questions. "Talk about the rules with your peers".

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

James Waltman
03-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Dominic,
Thanks for checking on that. I figured that they would eventually answer on the other board but it seems like they never answer anything. It's good to know that we have the option of running the treaded tire the whole time (not that we necessarily will). I still think that the wording of the rules unintentionally prohibits it though...

How long have the responses for rules questions been taking for everyone?

James Waltman
waltmaj@cc.wwu.edu
http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/
Formula SAE
Vehicle Research Institute at
Western Washington University

Dominic Venieri
03-02-2003, 03:25 PM
I got that reply within 48 hours.