PDA

View Full Version : SVSU Grand Prix

Andy Bauman
12-17-2003, 05:18 PM
The Cardinal Formula Racing Team of Saginaw Valley State University would like to invite your team to the 2004 SVSU Grand Prix. This event will immediately follow the Formula SAE Competition in May, with hopes of attracting teams from all over the world. Below you will find link to the proposal which is in its beginning stages that explains all details pertaining to the event. Please let us know if your team would like to attend so that we can plan the event accordingly.

If you have any questions please contact me at ajbauman@hotmail.com.

SVSU Grand Prix Proposal (http://www.svsu.edu/~ajbauman/SVSUGP.DOC)

---
Andy J. Bauman
Project Manager
Cardinal Formula Racing
Saginaw Valley State University

Denny Trimble
12-17-2003, 08:11 PM
Great idea! It might conflict with the Motec seminar if they have the same dates this year... And, what is your plan for the Tuesday "GP". I hope it's not wheel-to-wheel! Talk about carnage.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

Andy Bauman
12-17-2003, 08:48 PM
It is NOT wheel to wheel...first I don't think the SCCA would let us...and second I don't think most drivers are ready for that...we are not pro's...

---
Andy J. Bauman
Project Manager
Cardinal Formula Racing

vinHonda
02-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Toronto is definitely in. Only ridiculous circumstances would see us not participate. So count us in.

Vinh

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
www.fsae.utoronto.ca (http://www.fsae.utoronto.ca)

Andy Bauman
02-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Vinh,

That's Great. You are our first CONFIRMED participant.

Two other school are still up in the air about coming.

For those other teams that have the desire to come to the SVSU GP. Please notify me ASAP. Much planing is still required to have this event.

Thanks,

ANDY

---
Andy J. Bauman
Project Manager
Cardinal Formula Racing

Denny Trimble
02-07-2004, 11:01 PM
UW is still interested, but we'll have to verify our travel schedule etc. So, tentatively but with a good level of confidence, count us in.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

Ben Beacock
02-08-2004, 07:29 AM
If we are bringing our old car as a spare, can we run this car as well? (it passed tech last year)

Ben Beacock
Co-Manager
2004 Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph (http://www.soe.uoguelph.ca/uogracing)

Andy Bauman
02-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Yes, If the car you bring passed tech, you can bring it.

ANDY

---
Andy J. Bauman
Project Manager
Cardinal Formula Racing

Brent Howard
02-08-2004, 09:23 AM
I know a few people from our team are staying down to go to Claude Roulle, and I think a few others could stay. I think that we would be quite interested in running our car a bit more.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

RiNaZ
02-09-2004, 01:53 PM
hey brent, i thought there wasnt any word from claude yet for this year seminar? so there's a date for his seminar?

RiNaZ

PatClarke
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I had an email from Claude this morning, but no response to my request for a FSAE seminar date. I responded to him again asking for information and yesterday I emailed Donna at MoTeC seeking the same info.
Soon as I have the info I will post it
PDR

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Brent Howard
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
I didn't have any information about that seminar as I wasn't planning to attend. I just know everyone was talking about it being soon after the competition.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

Eddie Martin
03-15-2004, 06:24 PM
We will be there. I can't think of anything at the moment that will stop us.

I think there is about seven other teams going, it should be a really good event.

Hopefully some more teams sign up.

Regards
Eddie Martin
UOW Racing
University of Wollongong

Charlie
03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't think Auburn (not U of Auburn) will be attending, we considered it but our advisor is not too keen on the idea. I might be in town for the event and would like to hang out and get a closer look at the cars.

The latest email attachment showed us as registered attendees, I asked to be updated on the situation but we never committed and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't assume, our advisor was not pleased...

Dan Deussen @ Weber Motor
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Charlie-

Sorry, we made your advisor mad but we just tentatively listed all teams that showed stronger interest. Why don't you talk to your advisor again. Housing is free and the event is run by the local SCCA sanction, therefore insured and there will be no wheel-to-wheel racing, just autocross style - one car at a time. Well except for the elimination challenge, where two cars run simultaneously on two seperate but identical tracks. Maybe your advisor can give our advisor a call and they can chat. For everyone that signs up before the FSAE '04 event, we will be able to provide housing free of charge, but we will also accept late entries during the competition.

Walbro Engine Management will be one of the big sponsors there. We will supply cool prices like an ECU, some in-tank fuel pump assemblies and some Walbro High Performance polo shirts. Should SVSU win any of the events we will of course forfeit and hand the prices down to the runners-up.

I hope to see a bunch of you guys there. If it turns out to be loads of fun, we will make this an annual event!

Charlie
03-15-2004, 10:33 PM
At our next team meeting we will bring up the possibility. I encourage teams to try and attend and I don't mean to detract from the competition, I just think our attendance is very unlikely at this point.

Andy Bauman
04-05-2004, 08:06 AM
ALL...

There have been new developments in the SVSU GP.

Click Below For The Document

SVSU Grand Prix Event Information (http://www.svsu.edu/clubs/fsae/SVSUGrandPrixEventPlan.PDF)

Below is the e-mail our advisor sent to the current participants of the SVSU GP.

-------
SVSU GP Participants,

Great news. I have secured the last piece of the puzzle. The SVSU GP is confirmed and official! There has been a slight change in the format. Please see attached. The fee is $50 per team and $20 for each additional driver up to 3. Only one driver can compete in the GP tournament. The GP tournament will be a 10 lap tournament style Australian Pursuit. Australian Pursuit is two cars in a symmetric course chasing each other. The 1st to catch the other car, force the other car to knock down 10 cones, or complete 10 laps is the winner. Seeding and pairing for the tourney is based on qualifying. 2004 FSAE vehicles only. 16 car count limit. Students are required to help with timing and scoring, course set up and tear down, and spectator containment. Some of the times are subject to change.

SVSU will PROVIDE housing, two lunches, and a dinner at NO COST. I need a list of people from each team for housing ASAP.

We could use some more teams. Would you help me recruit a few more? We will be posting this document on fsae.com shortly.

Thanks for your support. This has been quite an effort.

Brooks P. Byam, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cardinal Formula Racing Director
7400 Bay Road
University Center, Michigan 48710-0001
Phone 989-964-4489
Fax 989-964-2717

Andy Bauman
04-09-2004, 01:16 PM
SVSU GP UPDATE...

SVSU GP Participants,

I need some information from the participating teams ASAP. Specifically:
# of people on your team
# of people on your team staying and which nights
# of people on your team attending and eating at the banquet Tuesday

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

My thanks to Eddie from Wollongong for providing housing info already. Eddie, What about the banquet on Tuesday?

Remember SVSU will PROVIDE housing, two lunches, and a dinner at NO COST.

We could use some more teams. Would you help me recruit a few more?

We will make a posting on fsae.com shortly requesting this information.

Thanks for your support,

Brooks & Andy

Brooks P. Byam, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cardinal Formula Racing Director
7400 Bay Road
University Center, Michigan 48710-0001
Phone 989-964-4489
Fax 989-964-2717

Matt Ahl
04-09-2004, 01:52 PM
How will teams be aquiring fuel? Is there somewhere to get 100 octane in the area?

Andy Bauman
04-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Matt,

The highest we can get in Saginaw is 94. There is a gas station in Cass City that carrys 100. Dan would be better off answering this question, tho.

04-09-2004, 11:46 PM
All teams, please post your fuel requirements here on the list. We can easily acommodate Ultra94 and GT100 needs. We will supply 5 gallon cans of whatever you need at cost, but please make sure you tell us ahead of time how many cans and what type you need.

Team's using E-85 will have to bring their own or maybe you can ask Sunoco at the competition to give you some leftovers.

Hoosier Daddy
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Carleton University is interested in attending. We will see how this idea goes over at the next team meeting and will confirm then.

Eric Hudec
Team Captain

vinHonda
04-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Let's get a full 16 cars out at this event! There were 16 cars at the UofToronto Shootout, there should be no problem getting 16 for the SVSU GP!! Looks like fun, housing is free, food is free! What else could someone want?! The entry fee is cheap. This looks like a good event! I encourage all Southern Ontario teams to go!

Question: we pay an additional $50+($20x3) for our 'B' team to compete with our 2003 car?

Cheers,

Vinh

04-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Vinh,

We only allow 2004 cars that have all three tech stickers to compete. That way we can be sure that the cars comply with the rules and should be all equally competitive. I would personally also prefer to run older cars as well, but if we want to make this an annual event we have to ensure safety.

Ben Beacock
04-12-2004, 11:39 AM
we're still working out the logistics, but as far as I know we are still planning on attending

and we'd need 94 octane

PatClarke
04-13-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Guys, Just looking at the map and realised I really haven't had a look at the Northern part of Michigan.
Anyone interested in having one of the visiting design judges come along for a look?
(Maybe I should bring my helmet Eddie?) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
PDR

vinHonda
04-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Pat you're more then welcome to ride with the guys from Toronto. I think having you there would give the event a nice touch. Make sure you let the SVSU people know, housing is free! And if they tell you're you're not a registered competitor, you can be 'part of' the Toronto team!

Cheers,

Vinh

04-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Pat,

It would be an honor to have you there. I will let our faculty advisor know that you would like to come and make sure that there will be accomodations for you.

Bringing a helmet might not be a bad idea. I'm sure quite a few teams would love to have you get in their car and take it for a lap or two.

We are looking forward to have you over.

Any other design judges who would like to come are of course invited as well. Just let us know and we will make sure we have enough accomodations available.

Andy Bauman
04-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Pat,

I just got word from our advisor that you are good to go for housing. What days would you like to stay? Let us know.

Thanks

ANDY

Eddie Martin
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Pat

You can bring your helmet if you want but we don't drive our rental cars that fast, anymore. We did write one off in 2002 though. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Eddie Martin
UOW Racing

PatClarke
04-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Wow, thanks for the friendly reception. Seems like I am going to see Northern Michigan !
One thing I should point out is that my good wife Sally will be with me. Does that cause problems Dan? BTW she would probably make a good timekeeper =]
Don't know any dates yet, haven't really looked at the calendar.
Regards to all
Pat

04-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Pat,

I just talked to our advisor and we will have accomodations available for you and your wife.

The local SCCA section is taking care of all the track safety and timing so you can leave your stopwatch at home.

PatClarke
04-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks Dan, I look forward to seeing everyone in just a few weeks
PDR

RiNaZ
04-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Dan,
what about an observer? does the free housing apply? and how far is saginaw from pontiac? i might not be able to pay for the FSAE seminar before their dateline, so just in case there are no more seats left, i would better off hanging out there in saginaw. Let me know alright ... thanks!

Hoosier Daddy
04-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Carleton University wants to participate. How to we get on 'the list'?

We will need space for approx 10 people.

Thanks,

Andy Bauman
04-15-2004, 12:21 PM
RiNaZ,

Saginaw is about an hour and 15 minutes from Pontiac. as for housing for an observer ask our advisor Brooks Byam, his e-mail address is bpbyam@svsu.edu

Andy Bauman
04-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Eric,

to get on the 'list' contact Brooks Byam, the CFR Director. he will give you the information you need. his email is bpbyam@svsu.edu

Matt at MTU
04-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Michigan Tech may be interested in attending. I'm working on convincing the rest of the team to go. Should know in a few days.

Hoosier Daddy
04-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Carleton University requires 100 octane fuel...

Thanks,
Eric

Andy Bauman
05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
SVSU GP IS FULL!!!

All,

We now have eight entries for the SVSU Grand Prix. Unless teams drop out, we will not be adding any other schools, unless eight (8) more schools enter. As you all know, 8 teams makes a perfect bracket, hence the desire for eight more. If more teams wish to enter, get more teams interested in coming...if eight more ask...we will let them enter.

The teams are:
SVSU, Guelph, Carleton, Toronto, Washington, Wollongong, Akron, and Wisconsin-Madison.

I know there are more schools that wanted to attend...keep the discussion up on this event and hopefully we can get eight more teams!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

ajbauman@hotmail.com

See you all in 15 days...

ANDY

Andy Bauman
05-29-2004, 06:18 AM
SVSU Grand Prix a Success!

All,

The Grand Prix went great. Hopefully there will be more teams that enter next year.

SVSU, Guelph, Carleton, Washington, Wollongong, Akron, and Wisconsin-Madison participated.

Wollongong took 1st place.
Wisconsin-Madison took 2nd place.

I will have times and the elimination bracket posted soon.

Thanks for a great event.

ANDY

Andy Bauman
06-04-2004, 04:57 PM
SVSU Grand Prix Results and Data!

Here is the Bracket Data for the Grand Prix

Top Qualifiers:
1. Peter – UofWash (26.537 sec)
2. Tim – Wisc (26.779)
3. Jared – Akron (27.027)
4. David – Wollongong (27.527)
5. Eric – SVSU (28.793)
6. Ben – Guelph (29.035)
7. Darcy - Carleton (29.104)

Peter – UofWash
BYE --------------------------Peter
----------------------------------------David
David – Wollongong------------David
Ben – Guelph
------------------------------------------------David (CHAMP)
Jared – Akron
Eric – SVSU-------------------Jared
----------------------------------------Tim
Tim – Wisc -------------------Tim
Darcy – Carleton

I know SVSU is planning to have this event again next year. If you are interested, contact Brooks Byam at SVSU bpbyam@svsu.edu

Charlie
06-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Congrats to UoW. We need photos from the event! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Denny Trimble
06-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Darn electrical gremlins... at least they didn't show up until after Pontiac. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Eddie Martin
06-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks to Andy, Brooks and all the SVSU guys for putting on such a good event.
On the Monday there was a qualifying dual between Wisc and Wash, unfortunately we turned up late and only got a handful of laps but still ended up with a good time.

Our race with Washington would have been really good but they seemed to stall on the line and then the car didn't appear to have much power from then on. Akron and Wisc had a really good 20 lap dual only gaining a second or two in that time. In the final we caught Wisc after about 10 laps or so from memory.

I hope more teams go next year, it was fun and there is so much less pressure than in the main comp. There should be more of these competitions.

Eddie Martin
University of Wollongong