PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

SLP Addict
02-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi, im new to the forum, this is my cliche "Im new" post, My names dan, im 15(on the 18th), im looking at doing a high power FSAE type car, probly Haybusa powered, it is going to be made for Solo1/Solo2 racing, i was wondering if you guys no of anywhere i can get designs for this type of car, any info would be great, thnx.

I dont feel like it.

Richard Lewis
02-10-2003, 02:18 PM
A bit of a reality check here...

Personally I think you'll be in WAY over your head driving a hyabusa powered car before you even get your drivers licenese...

Expect to pay big bucks for plans for something like this... I don't know of any FSAE teams that sell their plans, and more than likely they wouldn't work for you anyway. (the hyabusa puts out 2.5x the power we see in these cars, so a FSAE design wouldn't likely withstand the increased loads)

I don't know your background, maybe you've been driving race cars allready, or karting, or what-have-you. Knowing what I know now... I'd not expect many people could handle this type of car that you describe.

To answer the origional question, take a look in racecar engineering magazine and race tech magazine, and look in the back where they list car manufacturers. That might get you going in the right direction.

One other thing, these FSAE cars are often made with ~$250,000 worth of machines at our disposal. A functional machine shop is a must if you want to produce something like this.

Hope I haven't stepped on any toes... I see posts like this all the time on other forums with people not really knowing what they are getting into. No offense intended.

-------------------------
UVIC Formula SAE Team
http://members.shaw.ca/drax77/UVICFSAEcar.jpg
http://uvic.fsae.ca

SLP Addict
02-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Yea, i can see exactly where your coming from, and to clear afew things up.

I have the facilitys of Lime Creek motorsports, and possibly Madman and co racing, GTP and other various places, i myself have about 50k worth of welding tools, and snap on box's full of tools, one person who is helping is a pro welder, along with other people who have been doing this type of stuff for years, Were guessing for the chassis alone, were going to spend about $200, Then were going to fabricate all of our own parts except the powerplant, and that may be a custom, but we are trying to find a haybusa powerplant, and the 200HP is only a starting base, once this project is fully done, when im 18, we are wanting to have in the 400HP range, it seems ubsurd, but the only thing we really have to worry about is engine, and funds, and hte funds really wolnt be a problem, cause all we have to do it buy the aprts, and also, what about tired, would it be possible to use rims from a donut?

I dont feel like it.

SLP Addict
02-10-2003, 02:50 PM
If anyone would like to contact me.

AIM-SLP Addict
MSN-Tunerscorner@hotmail.com
Yahoo-Tunerscorner
ICQ-106009891
Email-*Same as MSN*

I dont feel like it.

stscxr
02-10-2003, 05:54 PM
You could always pay one of us to design it for you if funds aren't a problem.

Where should we start the bidding?

Ian
UC Davis FSAE

SLP Addict
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Na, i like building my own monsters, But if anyone has a design for one that they could send me, it would be great.

I dont feel like it.

Frank
02-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Tell you what,

If you make a $1000 (US) donation to our team,
I'll e-mail you a "parasolid" file of the whole car (12.7Meg)

http://www.uq.edu.au/fsae/cad4.htm

stscxr
02-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Thats what I'm saying. You seem to not know how to design one so thats what the price would cover. If you can actually manage to build it, good for you.

Lets see, to make a great understatement of the time involved in the design lets pretend it only take 2000 man-hours to design a decent car. That's less than 8 hours a week for 5 people for a year. I feel we're worth atleast $20.00 per hour. So that'd be $40,000.00. When will you have the check ready?

Ian

Dominic Venieri
02-11-2003, 05:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Lets see, to make a great understatement of the time involved in the design lets pretend it only take 2000 man-hours to design a decent car. That's less than 8 hours a week for 5 people for a year. I feel we're worth atleast $20.00 per hour. So that'd be $40,000.00. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We figure about 10,000 hours get put into our car each year, so at an average hourly rate of $25.00; $250,000 + materials to build one of our cars http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

SLP Addict
02-11-2003, 07:35 AM
One of the people hleping is a qauntum physics major, another is a mechincal engineering major, who has done FSAE before, so im sure we could design it, and were not designing it to FSAE specs, where gona chop it up, make it as light as possible, and be able to hold the massive engine.

I dont feel like it.

Courtney Waters
02-11-2003, 08:53 AM
First, none of the FSAE cars will be good to "copy" for a variety of reasons, some already stated above. What class do you plan to race in? While FSAE cars are allowed to run in A-mod, not all of them meet A-mod specs. Grab a copy of the SCCA Solo2 rulebook and make sure whatever vehicle you're going to design/build meets those rules.

Exactly how much funding DO you have at your disposal? You're talking $200 in chassis material which is not much. Here's a quick (and very low-balled) rundown of what it costs to put a typical FSAE car together:

Used Engine $500
We won't include Engine Management, assuming you run a stock bike motor.
Fuel pump & plumbing $400
Aluminum Radiator $300
Chromoly Tubing & Sheet $500
Mountain Bike Shocks $1000
Rod Ends, Spericals, & Fasteners $1000
Steering Rack & U-joints $300
Brakes, Master Cylinders, Plumbing $1000
Wheels & Tires $1200
Differential, Axles, & Tripods/CV-joints $1500
Electrical & Gauges $600
Harness, Seat, Pedals, other Cockpit stuff $400
Body, uh, nevermind...

So, we're up to a total of $8700 so far, and that's VERY bare-bones. Double that and you might be able to put something together. Money definitely isn't the whole equation either. The number of man-hours to put one of these together is huge.

That said, if you really want to build one of these cars, go out and buy all of Carroll Smith's "To Win" series and start reading those. If you have friends who are engineers helping you, then ask them how to build one. If they don't know how, then keep on reading and learn a whole lot more about vehicle dynamics, mechanics of materials, mechanical design, etc. These are not big go-karts, and can be a pretty wild ride with just 80bhp, nevermind the Huyabusa. There have been cars made like that (See Racecar Engineering a few months back for the article about DJ Racing's "Firehawk").

Courtney Waters
UCD Formula SAE

Andy Houk
02-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Courtney would be refering to Racecar Engineering October 2002, (Volume 12 Number 10). Very good article on the DJ Firehawk Hillclimber.

Brent Howard
02-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Hey SLP addict

The drawings from a FSAE car aren't really gonna help you out at all. First of all if you want a 400 Hp car the engine isn't gonna fit, the Diff mounts will rip to shreads, the car will be completly unbbalanced, as well as numerous other problems! All this has t be designed from scratch...you can't take a design for a 500 lb, 70 Hp car and turn it into a 1000 lb 400 Hp car. I mean if you want to do something that difficult buy a VW bug and make it into a F1 car. And no $50000 welding equipment or snap on tols is gonna do that for you.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

Dominic Venieri
02-11-2003, 11:33 PM
So, what does $50k worth of welding equipment look like? We have the flagship Lincoln TIG (square wave 355) and it isn't even worth $5k. Adding up a TIG, MIG, gas torch and plasma cutter, still leaves me a good $30k short. What more would you need/want?

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)