PDA

View Full Version : Honda F2 Cams

biggie
02-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Over the weekend, I found the specs for the stock F2 cam using a dial indicator and degree wheel. I wanted to compare the numbers with someone else to verify what i found. With the numbers i found, i feel there is some error and after a lot of thought i may have found what i think is the problem.http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Could someone contact me off list to compare numbers?

Thanks in advance
Nick

Charlie
02-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I think you contacted me earlier, I'd email you but you don't show an email. I think I might know what your problem is. Email me at cpmaverick@yahoo.com

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

Alan
02-03-2003, 08:03 AM
I've made the mistake of putting the dial indicator against the cam as opposed to leaving it in the head and measuring the displacement of the bucket. The radius on the end of the dial indicator can really throw things off.

Kettering University FSAE

Frank
02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
we did some frigging around with f3 cams.

The guy who tried to measure them did your trick first time.. hehehe

anyhows, it was really difficult to get a dial indicator to act vertically on the top of bucket.

we had to make a fitting, and stuff around for ages.

The thing to note is that after all the stuffing around, we found that the OEM service manual had the EXACT same figures.

They have OEM manuals at bike shops, most shops give you access to them (but rarely let you copy it)

Oh, and when you measure worn cams, remember that there's wear at the base of the profile from 000 - 005.

So you are better off taking readings from say 005, 010, 040, and 050.

Charlie
02-03-2003, 11:41 AM
It depends on why you are taking the readings. OEM manuals only have opening, closing, and max lift. This is not enough data to use for a good engine simulation program.

We used a junk head to measure valve lift by measuring off the combustion-side of the valves. A lot easier than trying to get straight off the tappet.

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present